RAM Slots

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The memory slots on your motherboard should be the same, either DDR3 or DDR4 . There were for some brief time motherboards that had both DDR3 and DDR4 memory slots on them, for compatibility with older processors but those are rare.

Figure out what kind of memory your computer uses, use software like CPU-Z or Aida64 .. these tell you what kind of memory you have.

Then, go and buy another memory stick that has similar technical parameters, mainly same frequency (or higher - the motherboard will automatically configure the frequency to one both memory sticks will support) and same voltage.

later edit: If your computer is very old, for example if you have a Pentium 4 or a Core 2 Duo or some AMD (athlon x2 / x4, those ancient processors) on socket AM3, you may have DDR2 memory installed. Just use a software to figure out what you have, it's the easiest way.

Yo, i have a motherboard that supports dual channel RAM, i have a 4 gig stick installed in one of the slots running in single channel. 

I wish to add another 4 gig stick on the other slot, but i fear that if i buy a 4 gig stick and it has connectors for the first slot and won't connect onto the second then it will be a bust. 

Help if you can (any contribution is valuable). 

The memory slots on your motherboard should be the same, either DDR3 or DDR4 . There were for some brief time motherboards that had both DDR3 and DDR4 memory slots on them, for compatibility with older processors but those are rare.

Figure out what kind of memory your computer uses, use software like CPU-Z or Aida64 .. these tell you what kind of memory you have.

Then, go and buy another memory stick that has similar technical parameters, mainly same frequency (or higher - the motherboard will automatically configure the frequency to one both memory sticks will support) and same voltage.

later edit: If your computer is very old, for example if you have a Pentium 4 or a Core 2 Duo or some AMD (athlon x2 / x4, those ancient processors) on socket AM3, you may have DDR2 memory installed. Just use a software to figure out what you have, it's the easiest way.

2 minutes ago, zak1016 said:

Yo, i have a motherboard that supports dual channel RAM, i have a 4 gig stick installed in one of the slots running in single channel. 

I wish to add another 4 gig stick on the other slot, but i fear that if i buy a 4 gig stick and it has connectors for the first slot and won't connect onto the second then it will be a bust. 

just make sure it is the same spec, if you have 4GB DDR3 1866 get that. the critical thing is if it is DDR3 or DDR4

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, zak1016 said:

As long as you get the correct type for your Mobo (EX: DDR4, DDR3, DDR2) every slot has the same connector. What motherboard do you have exactly?

I have an Asus H-81MC and it support DDR3 1600 MHZ. 

So you guys are saying that if i just get the RAM with the same specs as my first stick i won't have to worry about it fitting into the second slot? 

1 minute ago, zak1016 said:

I have an Asus H-81MC and it support DDR3 1600 MHZ. 

So you guys are saying that if i just get the RAM with the same specs as my first stick i won't have to worry about it fitting into the second slot? 

you got it, dude

You should still look using some software at what memory you actually have.

Some of the first DDR3 memory sticks  required 1.65v in order to work but these days, almost all DDR3 memory sold is using either 1.5v or 1.35v.

If your old memory needs  1.65v to work and you buy 1.5v memory, the old memory will either be automatically configured at 1.5v but lower frequency (for example 1066 Mhz or 1333 Mhz) or your new memory will be configured at 1.65v and that could damage the new memory.

Just the same, if your old memory is designed to work with the standard 1.5v, you shouldn't buy DDR3L  (low power DDR3) which needs 1.35v in order to work. Some stores don't make the distinction between regular DDR3 (1.5v) and low power DDR3 (DDR3L , 1.35v) and they both fit in the same memory slot.

It's best to buy a new memory that works at same voltage, the frequency can be higher ( for example 1866) and it will work just fine .

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You should still look using some software at what memory you actually have.

Some of the first DDR3 memory sticks  required 1.65v in order to work but these days, almost all DDR3 memory sold is using either 1.5v or 1.35v.

If your old memory needs  1.65v to work and you buy 1.5v memory, the old memory will either be automatically configured at 1.5v but lower frequency (for example 1066 Mhz or 1333 Mhz) or your new memory will be configured at 1.65v and that could damage the new memory.

Just the same, if your old memory is designed to work with the standard 1.5v, you shouldn't buy DDR3L  (low power DDR3) which needs 1.35v in order to work. Some stores don't make the distinction between regular DDR3 (1.5v) and low power DDR3 (DDR3L , 1.35v) and they both fit in the same memory slot.

It's best to buy a new memory that works at same voltage, the frequency can be higher ( for example 1866) and it will work just fine .

Thanks bro, you've been a lot of help.