2013 Macbook Air Review (From a PC User's Respective)

CwGoh

Preface

I've been a PC user for the past 13 years of my life. from my first Windows 95 machine to my current Windows 8 Prodigy, I've never owned a mac and had no desire to get one due to the price premium and probable learning curve to OS X. But fate plays with me, and I needed a mac for media production in my school. After failing to jiggle OS X onto my laptop, the Lenovo Thinkpad X201, I decided to hunt for a Macbook. I saw a 13" Macbook Air refurbished for $1,100 in my local currency (SGD) and decided to jump for it.

Screen

It's ironic when people who go by 16:10 are referred to as "PC Purists" when Apple is one of the few manufacturers left that make laptops of 16:10 aspect ratio. It is of 1440 x 900 resolution and definitely a TN. Colours and viewing angles are pretty good but calibrated at a rather cool white point out of the box. It also gets highly bright and very dim. I'm accustomed to the cheapo 1366 x 768 screens and the extra vertical space and resolution is of much to my satisfaction. However, the MBA's competitors (Zenbooks and Vaio Pros) have 1080p screens, so I think it would be beneficial if Apple bumped the screen to 1920 x 1200 while giving better pixel density, without encroaching into their "retina" line of Macbooks.

Keyboard

Standard Apple "chicklet" layout with bright back lighting. Key travel is a bit shallow for my taste, but it is easily one of the best keyboards money can buy currently. (On par with Lenovo's TPs and Zenbooks) However, I still prefer the longer travel and traditional layout of my old, trusty X201, but the Apple one is highly commendable nonetheless.

Trackpad

Probably the industry leading touchpad on the MBA. Large, smooth glass with gestures and scrolling that works well. Although I've not gotten it to register the more complicated gestures (but I attribute part of the blame to my OS X incompetence) and tapping two fingers for right click. But there is a option for a traditional right click, a life saver for PC immigrants.

Shell Build Quality

The Macbook's aluminium unibody design is famous, and it does live up to it's reputation. No flex in the keyboard, corners, screen or touchpad. Though it is scratch prone and not as light as I would like. I think only the older Thinkpads with the "rollcage" designs can hold a candle up to the MBs.

Audio

The speakers are bloody loud and clear. Probably the best in laptops. Integrated DAC is pretty good, but not amazing.

Battery Life

It lasted for 2 days of intensive word processing, YouTube viewing, LTT forum browsing. Best battery life I've seen on a laptop so far. Great.

Using OS X

Well, as a PC user, OS X wan not that bloody bad to get used to, although the control key switched with the alternate key was a pain, I got used to it quickly. Just try looking up a few guides, and you can get going pretty quick.

I mainly use the Microsoft Office suite on my laptop for school. The Mac version is a great departure from the "ribbon" concept with menus on the top in MO 2007-13 on Windows. I'd still prefer the windows version though for one, I'm used to the workflow and that the top menu can expand and contract easily. This contrasts sharply, where is OS X the options on the left side pane. It needs time to get used to, but the functionality is not affected.

Thanks for reading! :)

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Had my Macbook Pro 13" for over 2 years now. I've considered many many times to switch it out for a more powerful laptop, but i always end up sticking with it.

It have never failed me and is always reliable, so i might throw in an SSD when the slowness becomes a pain.. :D

Anyways, good review.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Nice review!

I noticed a thing you said about the white colour in the screen, I think that's just how OSX does it, when I switch input source on my monitor from windows pc to macbook, the difference in white temperature is the same ;) But it's definitely a point worth mentioning.

Nice review!

I noticed a thing you said about the white colour in the screen, I think that's just how OSX does it, when I switch input source on my monitor from windows pc to macbook, the difference in white temperature is the same ;) But it's definitely a point worth mentioning.

I had the same problem with mine but thankfully it has a great calibration menu in it's settings

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

battery life does degrade after about 4 years, i only get 3-4 hours now. and once/month i have to fully empty the battery and load it fully again, else it gets literally 80 degrees

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Nice review, as soon as I bought the 13" Pro I wish I had got the 13" Air.

Next Mac will be an Air.

I had the same problem with mine but thankfully it has a great calibration menu in it's settings

I wouldn't call it a problem as such, as I don't really mind. I think it makes the OS look a little more crisp and fresh compared to how I think the more yellow-ish white in windows makes windows look softer and more squishy. But yes, the calibration tool is most excellent! 

I wouldn't call it a problem as such, as I don't really mind. I think it makes the OS look a little more crisp and fresh compared to how I think the more yellow-ish white in windows makes windows look softer and more squishy. But yes, the calibration tool is most excellent! 

Yep. More extensive than Windows. But I just calibrate it with my colormunki once and forget about it.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

recommened an air to my girlfriend (13") and obviosuly being a techie, after she had set it up (under my supervision OFC!) and had a little play, i probably spent about 10 hours on it.

i then opted for macbook pro when work asked me what i'd prefer.

before now i have never owned or really enjoyed apples experiece (damn those CRT fugly macs. had loads at school and they were just shite on a plate. really.)

i feel, and i am, very productive on a mac and with its os, my god can you be productive!

still like windows, cause i like gaming, but instead of insulting mac, im now defending mac. 

[even considering an iphone instead of just upgrading my android again]

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

recommened an air to my girlfriend (13") and obviosuly being a techie, after she had set it up (under my supervision OFC!) and had a little play, i probably spent about 10 hours on it.

i then opted for macbook pro when work asked me what i'd prefer.

before now i have never owned or really enjoyed apples experiece (damn those CRT fugly macs. had loads at school and they were just shite on a plate. really.)

i feel, and i am, very productive on a mac and with its os, my god can you be productive!

still like windows, cause i like gaming, but instead of insulting mac, im now defending mac. 

[even considering an iphone instead of just upgrading my android again]

I'm still more productive on Windows, but my friends say the same thing about OS X. I guess both have a place in the PC world.

Personal Rig

I'm still more productive on Windows, but my friends say the same thing about OS X. I guess both have a place in the PC world.

Don't worry, it won't take long ;)

Had my Macbook Pro 13" for over 2 years now. I've considered many many times to switch it out for a more powerful laptop, but i always end up sticking with it.

It have never failed me and is always reliable, so i might throw in an SSD when the slowness becomes a pain.. :D

Anyways, good review.

I've had my pro for about 3 years and it has had a few problems (dying screen that was replaced, last week the hard drive failed) but it has been pretty soild. Mine was about 1k out of the pocket so I'm not sure why people always complained about the overpirced Macs :)

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

Finally a thread where we can talk about an Apple product without getting eaten alive?  This is great. :)

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Finally a thread where we can talk about an Apple product without getting eaten alive? This is great. :)

Yep. Magic of the LTT forum. I think Apple's MacBooks's are either too hyped or underrated. But I have to give them the credit that they have stayed true to building an excellent notebook while the other manufacturers have been jumping from netbook to tablets and now hybrids.

Personal Rig

Great read! You basically summed up all the things i really like about my MB (trackpad, battery life, solid speed even after 4 years too...), and pretty much hit the nail on the head with the frustrations of ms office for osx!

great review but now lets talk preformance :P

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

performance in an 'ultrabook'?

... my sister has bought an ultrabook (asus) for 1000 euro and it is AWSOME i mean she can play bf4 at med settings with good fps so it is posible 

-Adolf Hitler 

... my sister has bought an ultrabook (asus) for 1000 euro and it is AWSOME i mean she can play bf4 at med settings with good fps so it is posible 

how much fps is she getting on medium settings? what res?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

i had a macbook 2011 :D that was a good computer it served me well till i toasted it trying to run games D: 

how much fps is she getting on medium settings? what res?

think about 30-40 and 1080p

-Adolf Hitler 

I moved from Windows to mac OS X in 2009 (2009 MacBook Pro 15"), and it hasn't crashed once. Removable battery is all but goosed if I'm honest, but that's probably more down to my poor care than the battery being crap. Screen is still beautiful, trackpad still works perfectly and aside from a couple of small dents (my fault!) it still looks fantastic.

Even once I have my new gaming rig built, it'll still have a place on my desk. Or maybe just relegated to streaming media :P

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

Great review! very detailed and it makes me believe OSX isn't bad at all.

Isn't the 13" display a bit small? I am used to a 15.6" display at the moment.

OS X is incredibly easy to use. I've found that I can do everything I could do with Windows, you just have to dig a bit more for some stuff.

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

Great review! very detailed and it makes me believe OSX isn't bad at all.

Isn't the 13" display a bit small? I am used to a 15.6" display at the moment.

I'm used to the ThinkPad X series which are 12 inch screens, so 13 inches is comfortable for me. Perfectly fine for unitasking or light juggling of 2 spreadsheets, but any serious using of multiple applications on the screen at once is cramped.

Personal Rig