2013 Macbook Air Review (From a PC User's Respective)

CwGoh

I'm used to the ThinkPad X series which are 12 inch screens, so 13 inches is comfortable for me. Perfectly fine for unitasking or light juggling of 2 spreadsheets, but any serious using of multiple applications on the screen at once is cramped.

Ah okay! I'm a programmer and the 1366x768 workspace is not enough for me so and 15+ inch is a must =p

Ty

I'm typing this on a 2011 Macbook Pro. It's getting  a bit dated now (2.4ghz i7, 1333mhz RAM that I've upgraded to 16gb, 6770m gnu), but it still runs like a champ and shreds most of what I throw at it in boot camp. It's just a really smooth and clean user interface. The catch is that you pay a very high premium for it - my computer was $2000 when I bought it, and that was after the student discount. Objectively speaking there is a considerably lower price/performance ratio should you buy apple. Which is why the plan for my next setup is to have a 13 inch pro for work and a desktop for play.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

I'm typing this on a 2011 Macbook Pro. It's getting  a bit dated now 

Spare a thought for me on my '09 MBP with 2.4GHz Core2Duo then! :P

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

Spare a thought for me on my '09 MBP with 2.4GHz Core2Duo then! :P

:lol: I meant for gaming. I can still run most things at 1920x1080 on an external screen, but it's straining harder than it used to. Not that it could ever run Crysis over 1280x720.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

Great review! very detailed and it makes me believe OSX isn't bad at all.

Isn't the 13" display a bit small? I am used to a 15.6" display at the moment.

I don't like using anything smaller than 20" widescreen.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

I don't like using anything smaller than 20" widescreen.

For a laptop..

For a laptop..

I can hardly stand using my laptop because it only has a 13" screen.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

I can hardly stand using my laptop because it only has a 13" screen.

That's weird. You hold a laptop closer than a desktop monitor would be to your face so I find it takes up the same amount of space in my vision.

OP, glad to hear it was a positive experience. I grabbed myself a 13" Pro w/- Retina and I've loved it ever since. Works great. I also have a Windows based gaming rig so running games was never a factor of my decision to get one.

That's weird. You hold a laptop closer than a desktop monitor would be to your face so I find it takes up the same amount of space in my vision.

OP, glad to hear it was a positive experience. I grabbed myself a 13" Pro w/- Retina and I've loved it ever since. Works great. I also have a Windows based gaming rig so running games was never a factor of my decision to get one.

The main problem being that when I use Visual Studio, I have the toolbox on the left, the explorer on the right and the output window on the bottom.  That doesn't leave much room to see the code on a 13" 1024x800 screen.

:lol: I meant for gaming. I can still run most things at 1920x1080 on an external screen, but it's straining harder than it used to. Not that it could ever run Crysis over 1280x720.

I occasionally game on my MBP, but it's usually an ancient dosbox game or something similar. It can manage Civ 5 at medium settings, but that's probably pushing it.

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

• 2 weeks later...

A macbook user doesn`t care about your  bf4 fps . mb are the best thing for workinng. You just stay produktive 

I've also considered getting into Mac but I can't dish out that sort of money for a OS I have no guarantee I'd like. That being said, I might pick up a cheap Mac Mini on eBay at some point to just mess around and give it a try. Thanks for your review. 

I agree with your statement that the aluminum adds a touch of class and the keys on a Mac keyboard are a pleasure to type on but take some getting used to.