Samsung KS8000 4K HDR with Surround Sound (Seeking setup advice!)

Con

Hello. I am about to buy my first ever none-CRT TV, and it's going to be quite a jump from the past because we're going from that to 4K HDR.

I am going with the UE49KS8000 (it was going to be the 65" but only the 49" will actually fit perfectly in the spot I want it at the foot of the bed). I'm going to be using a SCART to HDMI 1080p60Hz converter which will be connected to a SCART switch (not a splitter!) which will have things like the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube & Genesis connected to it. Any device with DTS Optical but no HDMI can be connected to splitters and then that can go into the DTS port on the TV, and any devices which output HDMI should be able to carry surround sound with it into the TV, the only problem I have is that I can't see any obvious way to get surround sound OUT of the TV, like there is nowhere to plug speakers into the TV directly.

I'm used to having a big CRT screen where you can connect DTS Optical to the back and have that feed into RCA or bare wire speakers in surround configuration, but this TV just seems to have it's own set of speakers around the screen and that's it, like that's where all the DTS or HDMI surround audio is going to go; I wish there was some output on the TV where I can connect speakers or an amplifier directly, but I am very ignorant about how modern TVs are. What I think I may need is a Home Cinema System or Amplifier or something which HDMI connectors go into and then that connects to a HDMI ARC port on the TV, rather than everything going into the TV and then surround signals coming out of the TV to an amplifier.

It's going to be a cheap surround setup because the speakers are basically going to be around the bed, just like my bare wire setup is currently (where the back L & R are on the bed posts at the headboard). If someone convinces me to spend a bit more, I am open to the £200 surround speaker sets. I was hoping to find a surround sound device that I can connect my own speakers to, because I have a bare wire subwoofer and back L & R speakers, so I thought it might save costs.

TL;DR: I am going to connect my computer (with GTX 980 TI), eventually a PS4 Pro, and SCART-to-HDMI devices with DTS audio into my TV; I want them all to be able to use these surround speakers (OneConcept HS505) which is a 5.1 multichannel RCA speaker set. The ability to turn up and down the audio from the TV remote would be great. Remember that these speakers aren't going all around a big room it's all going to be close proximity. I am interested in your suggestions.

My current plan is to have all these HDMI & DTS appliances plug into some sort of surround sound device which outputs surround into 5.1 multichannel RCA. I need the image quality to remain 2160p60Hz HDR when it reaches the TV.

Any help or advice is much appreciated; I have knowledge around surround sound and video within IT, just not modern TV systems.

It comes with an Optical Output (or you can use ARC), not an Optical Input. The Output is supposed to go to a decoder (the decoder can hookup to your amplified speaker set). 

19 hours ago, Stagea said:

It comes with an Optical Output (or you can use ARC), not an Optical Input. The Output is supposed to go to a decoder (the decoder can hookup to your amplified speaker set). 

You mean to tell me that the TOS-Link thingy on the One Connect is "OUT" (pictured below) as in; HDMI audio from a [let's say] PS4 Pro could go into the One Connect HDMI port #3 and the surround sound data would come out of the TOS-Link/Optical Out port and be volume controlled by the TV? I'd never thought about why it was called "DIGITAL OUT"!

Samsung_KS8000_large_1.jpg

So surround sound would go:

PS4/Nintendo Switch/GTX 980 TI HDMI OUT > One Connect 'HDMI IN' Port 3 > One Connect's Optical 'Digital Audio OUT' > SPDIF to Analogue 5.1 converter > OneConcept HS505 Active 5.1 (Analogue RCA) > RCA Speakers

This seems absolutely great, the only problem is I'm planning to use a PlayStation 2 Component to HDMI 1080p60Hz upscaler (since it should look better than being on my 21-pin SCART to HDMI 1080p60Hz upscaler) and I don't think Component natively supports surround sound, I think I can only use the PlayStation 2 TOS-Link for that and if I connected it to the 'SPDIF to Analogue 5.1 converter' directly (split with the One Connect's Optical 'Digital Audio OUT')  I may not be able to control the volume from the TV, so I would need some way of converting that Optical Out on the PlayStation 2 into a HDMI port carrying audio only to the One Connect, or a way of combining the PlayStation 2 Component and SPDIF port into a single 1080p60Hz DTS 5.1 HDMI signal (seeing as I've heard the KS8000 doesn't take too kindly to 480i or 480p HDMI signals). - It's not a major problem though, I can just emulate PS2 games in 4K and play on a PS3 controller with my PC hardware anyway, it's more of a nostalgic obsession that I like to connect original hardware to TVs and play them; but this is why I was really keen on getting a way to connect SPDIF to the TV and have it control the volume when it comes back out of the TV to the cinema system... maybe this is something I would have to get an amplifier for that uses HDMI ARC, but I was hoping to find one that supports HDMI 2.0b pass through first. I will get an amplifier eventually, I'm just starting with buying the TV and cheap surround speakers for now.

18 hours ago, DoctorZeus said:

That looks awesome, although I use 21-pin SCART instead of composite (I'm getting a 5 way SCART switch with 1080p60Hz HDMI upscaler anyway). It looks really good, the DTS Optical IN would check off my the last of my tick list, but it's expensive. Definitely something to save for. I was reading up about the Pioneer VSX-531 here and it says:

• Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2 (4K/60p/4:4:4)
  • HDR Support
  • 3D Ready (Blu-ray Disc™, Broadcast, and Games)
  • Deep Colour (36-bit), “x.v. Colour”

Forgive my ignorance, but would that mean HDMI 2.0b, 2160p60Hz 10bit HDR?

Also, is there a cheap alternative that can take a SPDIF cable and have it volume controlled by the TV? Other than the PlayStation 2, all the video devices I'm connecting to the TV are outputting sound via HDMI. I'm interested in buying the "Pioneer VSX-531" or similar at some point

For the short term I was wondering which of these two options might be better and whether or not the audio will sound shitty, because I need to take the SPDIF Optical OUT from the One Connect and turn it into Analogue MultiChannel.

Option 1:

sku_71817_4.jpg

Option 2:

S-PC-1220_2.jpg

Or anything else you might suggest to get analogue out of SPDIF (with an RCA preference).

Thanks for your advice!