ITX build (cooling)

TobiasMB

I am planning of doing an m-itx build now in the summer but i am a bit unsure (as i am not a tech guru of any sorts) on how many fans I would need. I plan of using a 120mm AiO water cooler for the CPU plus atleast the 200mm fan that comes with the case, would I need any more fans to cool this system?  Also the motherboards I have been looking at only have 2 fan headers, if I should need more fans is there a way to connect more with out getting a more expensive motherboard?

Specs for the build are:

• Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX
  • MSI H270l Gaming Pro AC Socket-1151
  • i5-7600k Kaby Lake
  • EVGA GTX 1070 founders edit.
  • Corsair RM750x
  • Deepcool Captain 120 EX CPU cooler

The rest of the parts I haven't desided, and I am not sure if these are the parts I will be using

Thanks for any help!

Edit: If you want to have a look at the build I have set up: https://www.komplett.no/wishlists/657d3d67-124d-43e8-aafd-a95e0d6dc80d Link to the website I am buying from. Price is almost at 1700USD in Norway...

you can use a y-cable or splitter if you want to connect more fans. I wouldnt run more than 2 off one mobo fan header. Considering you are gonna put a 1070 in a small space I would put fans everywhere your case allows and where you still have room. expect it also not to be a silent build probably :)

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 minutes ago, TobiasMB said:

I am planning of doing an m-itx build now in the summer but i am a bit unsure (as i am not a tech guru of any sorts) on how many fans I would need. I plan of using a 120mm AiO water cooler for the CPU plus atleast the 200mm fan that comes with the case, would I need any more fans to cool this system?  Also the motherboards I have been looking at only have 2 fan headers, if I should need more fans is there a way to connect more with out getting a more expensive motherboard?

Specs for the build are:

• Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX
  • MSI H270l Gaming Pro AC Socket-1151
  • i5-7600k Kaby Lake
  • EVGA GTX 1070 founders edit.
  • Corsair RM750x
  • Deepcool Captain 120 EX CPU cooler

The rest of the parts I haven't desided, and I am not sure if these are the parts I will be using

Thanks for any help!

AM4 wait till summer Intel is basically dead RX 580 would have similar performance to a 1070 you could do a full custom loop for better temps 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

H270 and 7600k? Ew. By the summer Ryzen ITX mobos should be out. 

Like I said still not sure about the parts, I might change by the time I buy the parts and I am still considering going with a Ryzen CPU

First of all, AIO usually sucks especially 120mm ones. Don't get it unless you want better aesthetics

Second, don't go for i5. Get Ryzen 5 instead (and a free stock cooler is included too)
Also, 750W is overkill. 550W/650W is fine, although I'll recommend you to get the EVGA G2/G3 if it's cheaper

Edit: To answer your question, you can use a fan hub. 1 intake and 1 exhaust is enough. (minimum)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Intel is basically dead

No, just not good value. 

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

RX 580 would have similar performance to a 1070

Again, no, not at all. RX580 is in a lower performance bracket. 

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

you could do a full custom loop for better temps 

Stupid move in an ITX case unless OP has some money to splash

idk

4 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

AIO usually sucks especially 120mm ones. Don't get it unless you want better aesthetics

In a SFF mITX build, a 120mm AIO can be the difference between being able to OC and it running really hot at stock clocks :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

First of all, AIO usually sucks especially 120mm ones. Don't get it unless you want better aesthetics

Second, don't go for i5. Get Ryzen 5 instead (and a free stock cooler is included too)
Also, 750W is overkill. 550W/650W is fine, although I'll recommend you to get the EVGA G2/G3 if it's cheaper

Edit: To answer your question, you can use a fan hub. 1 intake and 1 exhaust is enough. (minimum)

Ok, I am still considering Ryzen. Thanks for the other info aswell, but if a 120mm AIO sucks would a 240mm be better or still unusefull?

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

In a SFF mITX build, a 120mm AIO can be the difference between being able to OC and it running really hot at stock clocks :P 

Agree. Especially in very small cases that lacks airflow like CM Elite 110 and Silverstone Sugo SG13, but not Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

4 minutes ago, TobiasMB said:

Ok, I am still considering Ryzen. Thanks for the other info aswell, but if a 120mm AIO sucks would a 240mm be better or still unusefull?

240mm may have slightly better temp but not worth the money

10 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Don't get it unless you want better aesthetics

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

you could do a full custom loop for better temps 

I am not going to go for a custom loop either way i believe considering this will be one of my first builds, and I don't want to spend the extra money the custom loop will cost as computer parts etc. are already really expensive here in Norway...

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Agree. Especially in very small cases that lacks airflow like CM Elite 110 and Silverstone Sugo SG13, but not Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

Maybe you should take a cheeky wee look at the title then ;) 

2 minutes ago, TobiasMB said:

Frankly it depends on what mITX case you're going for. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, TobiasMB said:

I am not going to go for a custom loop either way i believe considering this will be one of my first builds, and I don't want to spend the extra money the custom loop will cost as computer parts etc. are already really expensive here in Norway...

Yeah I get you for prices

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

if  you go intel dont waste your money on a k sku cpu unless you get a board that can overclock.  I would definitely wait till am4 itx boards are launched before buying.  also rumors are that intel will release the 300 series boards and coffee lake around august to compete with ryzen.  a 6 core i5 would be a nice chip, especially if the core speeds are similar or faster than the current 7600. 

4 minutes ago, intender said:

if  you go intel dont waste your money on a k sku cpu unless you get a board that can overclock.  I would definitely wait till am4 itx boards are launched before buying.  also rumors are that intel will release the 300 series boards and coffee lake around august to compete with ryzen.  a 6 core i5 would be a nice chip, especially if the core speeds are similar or faster than the current 7600. 

If I should get a Ryzen CPU which ones are the best for the price/which ones go for about the same price as the 7600k? Would prefer to be able to Overclock (which i thought i could do with this motherboard aswell)

Thanks to everyone who said I should switch to Ryzen. Found a case that isn't to big that still supports mATX and set up a Ryzen build in stead and managed to cut closer to 200-300 usd of the original price which is really nice. Went with the Ryzen 5 1600 and ditched the AIO as the stock cooler is very good as far as I've heard.