Help! buying a good monitor advice.

Fiuzz

Hey everybody :D

Soon my boyfriend have birthday and i really wanna buy a good monitor for my man! 

My wishlist 

144hz or more. 

BenQ or Asus. The brand he likes.. 

My top price is 368,63 USD

what should i get?

Unless you wanna surprise him, I think it's best to talk to him.

There is this option, but I guess it's just at 100 Hz, even though very good response time (1 ms) : 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-u2879vf-4k-ultra-hd-28-led-monitor-with-mhl-10146005-pdt.html

It also is neither of those brands, but AOC is quite a good brand too.

1 hour ago, Fiuzz said:

Hey everybody :D

Soon my boyfriend have birthday and i really wanna buy a good monitor for my man! 

My wishlist 

144hz or more. 

BenQ or Asus. The brand he likes.. 

My top price is 368,63 USD

what should i get?

Get a standard $200 144hz 1080p 1 ms response time monitor from those two preferred brands. The only advice I can give you is to get 1080p one so you can fit it in your budget.

2 hours ago, elis said:

Unless you wanna surprise him, I think it's best to talk to him.

There is this option, but I guess it's just at 100 Hz, even though very good response time (1 ms) : 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/aoc-u2879vf-4k-ultra-hd-28-led-monitor-with-mhl-10146005-pdt.html

It also is neither of those brands, but AOC is quite a good brand too.

Can't view the website while at work, but why did you give her a link for a 4K monitor?

And no, no 4K monitor on the market right now can go over 60hz

OP: almost all 24" 1080p 144hz monitors from Asus or BenQ are below $368, pick one.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

1 minute ago, MilfShake said:

Can't view the website while at work, but why did you give her a link for a 4K monitor?

Frequency range - Horizontal: 30-99 kHz
- Vertical: 50-76 Hz

Well, why not 4k ? And I think it was on discount.

29 minutes ago, elis said:
Frequency range - Horizontal: 30-99 kHz
- Vertical: 50-76 Hz

Well, why not 4k ? And I think it was on discount.

That refresh rate is 76Hz maximum, don't mistake horizonal frequency with vertical refresh rate, that is basic knowledge. And I still don't believe there's any monitor on the market right now that can do 4k >60hz, because that would require DP 1.4 and except the soon-to-be-released Asus monitor that will do 4k 144hz and cost $2000, there is no other monitor with those specs.

Second, you can't run 4k games at 60 fps unless you have a 1080Ti

And the fact that a person who is receiving  a 1080p 144hz as a gift tells me that his current monitor has less specs than that, maybe 1080p 60hz.

A person with a PC that games at 1080p 60hz cannot game at 4k 60Hz.

It's all logic

EDIT: just checked, AOC U2879VF max refresh rate is 60Hz

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

32 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

Actually, incorrect. They can, but you'll have to pay out the ass for it. Acer just made a new 144hz G-Sync 4k Predator, for the low low price of $2000

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Actually, incorrect. They can, but you'll have to pay out the ass for it. Acer just made a new 144hz G-Sync 4k monitor, for the low low price of $2000

No I'm still correct, is the Acer X27 on the market?

I said no monitor currently on the market

1 minute ago, MilfShake said:

No I'm still correct, is the Acer X27 on the market?

I said no monitor currently on the market

No, but it has been announced.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

No, but it has been announced.

It cannot be bought right now with money, so I'm still correct when I wrote that statement "there is no monitor on the market right now that can do 4K > 60Hz"

Just now, MilfShake said:

It cannot be bought right now with money, so I'm still correct when I wrote that statement "there is no monitor on the market right now that can do 4K > 60Hz"

Pff you don't even need money to buy it. All you have to do is break into the Acer head of RND's house and steal his ;);)

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

That refresh rate is 76Hz maximum, and I still don't believe there's any monitor on the market right now that can do 4k >60hz, because that would require DP 1.4 and except the soon-to-be-released Asus monitor that will do 4k 144hz and cost $2000, there is no other monitor with those specs.

Second, you can't run 4k games at 60 fps unless you have a 1080Ti

And the fact that a person who is receiving  a 1080p 144hz as a gift tells me that his current monitor has less specs than that, maybe 1080p 60hz.

A person with a PC that games at 1080p 60hz cannot game at 4k 60Hz.

It's all logic

1. We don't know if her boyfriend has a 1080Ti or a Titan X or whatever.

2. She didn't mention the resolution so I thought 4k would be the hot spot.

3. My first advice was that she talked to her man, because he knows best what he needs. I mean, she could get a FreeSync monitor while he uses an Nvidia card, or the other way around.

4. I didn't really have much time to check all the monitors possible, so I just found one with 1 ms response time, 4k and on discount, for more or less the price she can afford.

5. Instead of arguing with me you could bring a better suggestion :P 

Moved to the displays section. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, elis said:

1. We don't know if her boyfriend has a 1080Ti or a Titan X or whatever.

2. She didn't mention the resolution so I thought 4k would be the hot spot.

3. My first advice was that she talked to her man, because he knows best what he needs. I mean, she could get a FreeSync monitor while he uses an Nvidia card, or the other way around.

4. I didn't really have much time to check all the monitors possible, so I just found one with 1 ms response time, 4k and on discount, for more or less the price she can afford.

5. Instead of arguing with me you could bring a better suggestion :P 

4K is hot spot for what? she did mention she wants a 144hz monitor, and she has $368. At that price, she can only buy 1080p 144hz, 24" or 27".

When you gift someone a monitor, it has to be better than their current one, yes? if a 1080p 144hz is an upgrade for him, then based on logic and common sense, you can come to the conclusion that he's using 1080p 60hz.

The recommendation of 4k 60hz is out the window, because she wants 144hz.

I did say that Asus and BenQ both offer 24" 1080p 144hz at her price range, so just choose the one that has the bells and whistles they want.

I'm just gonna put it here: benQ XL2430T, XL2720Z, but 1080p looks horrible on 27" screen, so go with 24"

25 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

4K is hot spot for what? she did mention she wants a 144hz monitor, and she has $368. At that price, she can only buy 1080p 144hz, 24" or 27".

When you gift someone a monitor, it has to be better than their current one, yes? if a 1080p 144hz is an upgrade for him, then based on logic and common sense, you can come to the conclusion that he's using 1080p 60hz.

The recommendation of 4k 60hz is out the window, because she wants 144hz.

I did say that Asus and BenQ both offer 24" 1080p 144hz at her price range, so just choose the one that has the bells and whistles they want.

I'm just gonna put it here: benQ XL2430T, XL2720Z, but 1080p looks horrible on 27" screen, so go with 24"

Milfshake you're right. He is using 1080p 60hz atm. I don't think a 4k would be hot here. He only plays rocket League and Path of Exile. I just wanna give him a little upgrade and support his gaming ?? 

2 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

Actually, incorrect. They can, but you'll have to pay out the ass for it. Acer just made a new 144hz G-Sync 4k Predator, for the low low price of $2000

It's not on the market yet.  Besides, the OP stated a budget of under $400... so safe to say that even if it was available that it's just a BIT over her price range. 

OP: The Asus VG248QE is bang for the buck probably the best monitor in your price range.  If you had closer to $550 you could bump up to the Asus MG279Q but unless he has a pretty powerful computer the jump to 1440p will make it hard to reach 100+ fps in games other than League and CSGO (Path of Exile will need settings turned down to get decent FPS).  Also, because it's a FreeSync monitor it doesn't have ULMB... which if you're going to go up in price is an absolute MUST for people who enjoy competitive games. 

My advice: get the VG248QE and when he decides to build his next computer suggest he saves up for a 1440p gaming monitor with ULMB like the Asus PG279Q.

Just now, aithos said:

It's not on the market yet.  Besides, the OP stated a budget of under $400... so safe to say that even if it was available that it's just a BIT over her price range. 

Exactly, I was being sarcastic. If you have that kind of money for a monitor, you're probably wiping your ass with Titan X's. All I was saying is that, yes, there is a monitor that can do 4k >60hz.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Exactly, I was being sarcastic. If you have that kind of money for a monitor, you're probably wiping your ass with Titan X's. All I was saying is that, yes, there is a monitor that can do 4k >60hz.

I figured, and I was just pointing out that while it exists.... it isn't actually purchasable yet :P

Just now, aithos said:

I figured, and I was just pointing out that while it exists.... it isn't actually purchasable yet :P

True. But I hope it is soon. I don't have anything else to do with that money I made from selling my vital organs, and a $2k monitor is just what I need.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

37 minutes ago, Fiuzz said:

Milfshake you're right. He is using 1080p 60hz atm. I don't think a 4k would be hot here. He only plays rocket League and Path of Exile. I just wanna give him a little upgrade and support his gaming ?? 

If you don't need bells and whistles like height adjustment, swivel, etc... just get the least expensive 24" 1080p 144hz from Asus. BenQ monitors tend to be more expensive because of the eSports marketing and 'features', I'm not sure if they even use higher quality panels.

You gave your budget exactly to the cents, so I think your money is tight. Therefore my suggestion makes sense, at least to me.

All of them are TN panels, so color will be bad out of the box, but after calibrating, they should look okay.

8 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

True. But I hope it is soon. I don't have anything else to do with that money I made from selling my vital organs, and a $2k monitor is just what I need.

I'll just sell my Pioneer Elite Kuro FD-111 TV to get one and another 1080ti :P

27 minutes ago, MilfShake said:

If you don't need bells and whistles like height adjustment, swivel, etc... just get the least expensive 24" 1080p 144hz from Asus. BenQ monitors tend to be more expensive because of the eSports marketing and 'features', I'm not sure if they even use higher quality panels.

You gave your budget exactly to the cents, so I think your money is tight. Therefore my suggestion makes sense, at least to me.

All of them are TN panels, so color will be bad out of the box, but after calibrating, they should look okay.

Okay! Right now he has a BenQ but i think ASUS has a better finish and what i can see they are almost the same. 

Well. My boyfriend don't allow me to spend more on him.. but he thinks its okay to buy a mothers ring to $294.. I could spent more. But we don't use the pc as offen after i gave birth. So i think it would be only luxury if i did! ?

maybe when she is a little older i can play games again! ? iguess my games need a bit more powerfull pc. 

1 hour ago, aithos said:

I'll just sell my Pioneer Elite Kuro FD-111 TV to get one and another 1080ti :P

My boy what the fuck. What convinced you you needed a $5.6k TV?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

My boy what the fuck. What convinced you you needed a $5.6k TV?

I was working in sales at the time, desperately needed a new TV and I had a deposit on one right before they were discontinued and was getting my tax returns.  To my knowledge I got one of the last new ones in the USA, and I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it... so there's that ;)

For what it's worth though, I'd totally pay that for a 4k Pioneer Elite Plasma if it existed.  To this day it's the best TV I've ever seen, although I haven't looked very closely at the new OLED TVs because they are still in that price range and I don't need to be buying one right now!

2 minutes ago, aithos said:

I was working in sales at the time, desperately needed a new TV and I had a deposit on one right before they were discontinued and was getting my tax returns.  To my knowledge I got one of the last new ones in the USA, and I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it... so there's that ;)

For what it's worth though, I'd totally pay that for a 4k Pioneer Elite Plasma if it existed.  To this day it's the best TV I've ever seen, although I haven't looked very closely at the new OLED TVs because they are still in that price range and I don't need to be buying one right now!

Daaaamn, I'm jealous. That's a smoking deal. Why were they discontinued?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540