SSD and HDD Not detected - BIOS

ToxicKingz

Hey, I've spent hours trying to figure out why the SSD or the HDD are not detected. 

My motherboard: ASUS Maximus 9 Code

HDD: 1TB Baracuda

SSD: 256 GB M.2 SATA 6gb/s

I installed the M.2 SSD underneath the M.2 plastic compartment of the mother board. I connected the SATA cable and power to the HDD. I got the HDD to work (become detectable and installed windows 10) at one point by playing with the settings in the BIOS... however now I can't replicate what I've done. The SSD never worked.

Please help me, I thank you. I will be active on this thread for resolution. If you need more info please ask me

Reset the BIOS to the default settings.  That right there fixed similar issues I have had 90% of the time.  Make sure you're M.2 SSD is seated okay.  Maybe take it out and put it back in.  Check your motherboard manual to make sure what you have is supported by your mother board. Make sure you don't require a BIOS update.  Sometimes they have issues and resolved them via firmware updates so it is always good to check.

I see that only one of the M.2  supports SATA mode.  AND when it goes into that mode SATA port 1 will be disabled.  So make sure it is in the right slot if it is a sata SSD and if it is, don't put your mechanical dive in slot 1.  Check page 1-30 in your manual.

32 minutes ago, Rockstarz said:

I see that only one of the M.2  supports SATA mode.  AND when it goes into that mode SATA port 1 will be disabled.  So make sure it is in the right slot if it is a sata SSD and if it is, don't put your mechanical dive in slot 1.  Check page 1-30 in your manual.

I am checking the User Manual right now and I will try to remove it and plug it back in :). However, you know how I shall set my BIOS to boot from my HDD??

well, in ez mode on that particular bios, on the right side, there is a drag and drop stack where you can physically grab and move things around into what order you want them to boot in.  If it detects both drives, they should both show up there.

well, in ez mode on that particular bios, on the right side, there is a drag and drop stack where you can physically grab and move things around into what order you want them to boot in.  If it detects both drives, they should both show up there.

Thing is though, if you already installed your OS on the other drive, you will need to put your installation media as your first item to boot from, then reboot it.  Otherwise, it will just notice there is no OS on the SSD and move on to check the next drive in the list.  After you install your OS onto your SSD, then you will need to make sure than you have it placed as first on that list obviously.

I understand what you mean. Okay, just finished removing and placing the M.2 SSD. The stick is in the M.2_1 and it says it does support SATA. So I shall be good in terms of hardware. I will post pics in a moment 

Did you make sure you are not using port 1 for your other hard drive.  Because remember, if you use the SATA M.2, that socket will be disabled.

IF you didn't change the setting in your BIOS, it should automatically detect your SATA m.2 drive and disable the SATA 1 plug on your motherboard.  If you messed with it, you will need to go to the advanced tab and find m.2_1 configuration and set it to auto.

5 minutes ago, Rockstarz said:

IF you didn't change the setting in your BIOS, it should automatically detect your SATA m.2 drive and disable the SATA 1 plug on your motherboard.  If you messed with it, you will need to go to the advanced tab and find m.2_1 configuration and set it to auto.

Oh snap, I do have it on PORT 1

My SSD is connected to the M.2_1 PORT 

My HDD is connected through SATA Cable Port 1, shall I change to port 2?

Yes, that is your issue, they would be conflicting

Okay I will unplug my hard drive and make as if only the SSD was ever plugged. Hold on.

I removed power from the HDD, removed SATA cable going from motherboard to HDD. Now only the SSD M.2 Connected to the M.2_1 port. Not detecting anything............................. I hate this

okay did you check the setting in the BIOS.  The m.2_1 setting.  make sure it is on auto.    If you  are not sure how to do that, just set it back to optimized default settings and save.

That m.2_1 setting is under the advanced tab.  And to be completely honest, resetting the bios completely would probably be a safe bet at this point.  Just to clear out any weird crap having both of them conflicting like that could have caused.

I know how :P I have been on BIOS Screen for 5 HOURS HAHAHA. I am going crazy

PCIEX4 is on AUTO

Okay so M.2_1 Setting is on AUTO

Launch CSM is DISABLED

Secure Boot > OS TYPE is set on Other OS

Still nothing

Did you try the other slot just in case?  If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the tell you to do next without having it in my hands.

I shall try it now, but don't worry the next person who sees this might have this problem or the solution :D THANK YOUUU

You're welcome, wish I could have solved it for you.  I was almost sure we had it when you said the HD was also in slot 1. 

I removed the SSD, reset CMOS, fixed the settings for the hard drive. No SSD. I will buy an NEW SSD 500gb! I am looking for an SSD M.2 that will work in Maximus 9 code mother board :)?! Any suggestions? And how shall I set it up!?

7 hours ago, ToxicKingz said:

I removed the SSD, reset CMOS, fixed the settings for the hard drive. No SSD. I will buy an NEW SSD 500gb! I am looking for an SSD M.2 that will work in Maximus 9 code mother board :)?! Any suggestions? And how shall I set it up!?

Unless you are going NVME, you may as well buy the regular 2.5" ones.  The speed will be the same. Only reason you would go with an m.2 sata version is cosmetics or space reasons.  So I would go with a Samsung 500 evo.  Performance is the same and I can guarantee it will work with your motherboard.  Unless you just want one because they are kinda cool or whatever.  I'd still go Samsung.  

15 minutes ago, Rockstarz said:

Unless you are going NVME, you may as well buy the regular 2.5" ones.  The speed will be the same. Only reason you would go with an m.2 sata version is cosmetics or space reasons.  So I would go with a Samsung 500 evo.  Performance is the same and I can guarantee it will work with your motherboard.  Unless you just want one because they are kinda cool or whatever.  I'd still go Samsung.  

I will be looking into NVME. I know it's a bottleneck for speed. However, I am going purely for cosmetic. I don't mind spending the extra bucks there haha :p! 

You have any idea how I can go NVME. I will google search that but just wanted your opinion.

finally, if I go with a NVME SSD like Samsung 960 500 GB will it work with my port 1 on my MOBO?

3 hours ago, ToxicKingz said:

I will be looking into NVME. I know it's a bottleneck for speed. However, I am going purely for cosmetic. I don't mind spending the extra bucks there haha :p! 

You have any idea how I can go NVME. I will google search that but just wanted your opinion.

finally, if I go with a NVME SSD like Samsung 960 500 GB will it work with my port 1 on my MOBO?

according to the manual, both will support it, But only one m.2 can switch between sata and nvme.