Slow internet speeds on only one device

Ctown0812

So a coworker of mine came to me with this issue he's having with internet speeds on his gaming computer.  It started about a month ago.  No matter what network he connects to, his internet speeds seemed to be capped at 25Mbps, when he should be getting around 70Mbps.  He's tried it on his home network (wired and wireless), as well as connecting to his mobile phone via wifi hotspot.  His PC is running Windows 10 with a wireless USB adapter to connect wirelessly and it is the only device getting that speed, everything else ( another PC and two Xbones) is running anywhere from 50-70Mbps.  I'm brand new to networking, so I'm just guessing that his PC was somehow given the lowest priority out of all the devices on the network, or there is something wrong with his PC/wireless USB dongle.  I'm leaning more towards there being a network issue, as his speeds were fine only a month ago with the same hardware.  Any possible solutions you folks on here can give me would be greatly appreciated!  

Have you tried a cat5/6 (ethernet) cable or another dongle? it is possible that the one he has now is at the end of its life. Also run a quick virus scan most likely not the cause but worth a check. There may also be a way to cap your speed in windows but I don't realy know for sure

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

6 minutes ago, unholyprfection said:

Have you tried a cat5/6 (ethernet) cable or another dongle? it is possible that the one he has now is at the end of its life. Also run a quick virus scan most likely not the cause but worth a check. There may also be a way to cap your speed in windows but I don't realy know for sure

Yeah, scans were done through windows defender and Malwarebytes.  the dongle is less than a year old and usually with network devices, they either work or they don't.  They don't "slow down."  I don't think the cable itself is the issue because 70Mbps isn't really close to what even cat 5 caps out at.  And the issue persists wired or wireless.   I'm seriously stumped on this one....

I hear you. Some routers might have a way to limit speeds to a device (not 100% sure) 
it sounds like it is software based. either windows or the router.

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)