RGB Pin outs

djmoney

I have been adding RGB to my Machine trying to get the lighting just right. I noticed that there are a lot of RGB strips on the market.  I have not done any mixing or matching of brand.  Is there a standard to the connections or are all of them working off their own wiring schemes? It is as easy as R to R, G to G, B to B & Ground to Ground?

Are the bulk 200 RGB strips worth messing with?  

My current system 

RGB lead from my Corsair Commander Mini <- 2 stips but the strips are small, hard to find, and sometimes expensive.  

RGB AURA lead off of my 1080ti Strix.  <- currently not used

If it's something like https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-300LEDs-Flexible-Controller/dp/B00B2F3KDQ then it appears there's a standardized pinout. However I'm confused at the labels, because they've been +12V, R, G, and B. So either the RGB lines are a negative voltage or +12V really means the reference voltage and is a ground and the RGB lines carry the current.

For anything else, anything goes.

7 minutes ago, djmoney said:

I have been adding RGB to my Machine trying to get the lighting just right. I noticed that there are a lot of RGB strips on the market.  I have not done any mixing or matching of brand.  Is there a standard to the connections or are all of them working off their own wiring schemes? It is as easy as R to R, G to G, B to B & Ground to Ground?

Are the bulk 200 RGB strips worth messing with?  

My current system 

RGB lead from my Corsair Commander Mini <- 2 stips but the strips are small, hard to find, and sometimes expensive.  

RGB AURA lead off of my 1080ti Strix.  <- currently not used

They are pretty much standardized to RGB lines and a common ground or positive, common positive is usually what I've seen as being the most popular.

Image result for smd rgb strip connecting

ok thanks guys. I guess I can just get out my multi meter and do some checking.  Has anyone bought one of these Kits?  Any you recommend?  

I was thinking cut the lengths i need for inside the machine and use the rest with the controller it comes with to under light my desk.  Or maybe make up up an length of wire 3d print some connectors and control the desk lighting with the computer 

23 minutes ago, djmoney said:

ok thanks guys. I guess I can just get out my multi meter and do some checking.  Has anyone bought one of these Kits?  Any you recommend?  

I was thinking cut the lengths i need for inside the machine and use the rest with the controller it comes with to under light my desk.  Or maybe make up up an length of wire 3d print some connectors and control the desk lighting with the computer 

You can run extension leads outside of your computer to your desk to sync everything, as for kits to DIY and wire up the kits such as theses from supernight are quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-Flexible-Controller-included/dp/B00B2F3KDQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1494292404&sr=8-13&keywords=rgb+led

https://www.amazon.com/Liwinting-Extension-Connector-Ribbon-Connectors/dp/B01EAHRZEC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494292377&sr=8-4