Is there a difference between M.2 SSD and M.2 Nvme SSD?

WhatsGoingOn

I want to buy an SSD for my laptop for the OS and maybe the programms I usually use, but, there's a difference between M.2 SSD and M.2 Nvme? 

The NVME SSD uses the NVME protocol, and needs to be supported by the rest of the hardware.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

There's a huge difference in speed and very little difference in real-world performance for the average person.

Basically, NVMe is a protocol, just like SATA. However, it is much faster than sata. If your laptop supports NVMe M.2, then you will need to buy this type of M.2

Overall, all M.2 says is its size/form factor. For example, ATX and ITX are two form factors, but they both are motherboards.

Do you know if your laptop has an m.2 slot, and if yes, which protocal does it use?

NVMe has an advantage in the number of files that can be transfered at one time, which can make a difference depending on how programs handle their files.

For a laptop, I'd stick with SATA M.2 since you don't want to use your battery powering NVMe drives.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, Sneling said:

Basically, NVMe is a protocol, just like SATA. However, it is much faster than sata. If your laptop supports NVMe M.2, then you will need to buy this type of M.2

Overall, all M.2 says is its size/form factor. For example, ATX and ITX are two form factors, but they both are motherboards.

Do you know if your laptop has an m.2 slot, and if yes, which protocal does it use?

It's actually NVME vs. AHCI. SATA is the interface, and PCIE is another. M.2 is the connector.

There are M.2 NVME PCIE SSDs, M.2 AHCI PCIE SSDs, and M.2 SATA SSDs. M.2 NVME drives top out around 3.5GB/s (this isn't a cap, just the fastest drive available now), M.2 AHCI drives top out around 1.5GB/s iirc, and M.2 SATA drives top out around 500MB/s.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Sneling said:

Basically, NVMe is a protocol, just like SATA.

SATA is not a storage protocol the same way NVMe is.

SATA is an electrical interface standard, and can be replaced by a PCIe connection.

On top of the SATA or PCIe connection, there's a storage protocol for how the interface is used. The most advanced standard available across a SATA connection is AHCI, which was designed for HDDs but with some usable stuff for SSDs too. NVMe is a newer standard designed solely for SSDs, but it requires a PCIe connection.

Some older PCIe SSDs didn't support the NVMe protocol, and instead relied on good old AHCI. The Samsung SM951, forerunner to the 950 Pro, has two versions, one that uses AHCI and one that uses NVMe. Both across a PCIe connection from an M.2 slot.

I have a MSI GE62VR and i Just want the SSD for the OS and the main programms, and I still don't understand the difference xD

Just now, WhatsGoingOn said:

I have a MSI GE62VR and i Just want the SSD for the OS and the main programms, and I still don't understand the difference xD

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7843/testing-sata-express-with-asus/4

http://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-s-the-difference-between-SATA-PCIe-and-NVMe/105

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

34 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

NVMe has an advantage in the number of files that can be transfered at one time, which can make a difference depending on how programs handle their files.

For a laptop, I'd stick with SATA M.2 since you don't want to use your battery powering NVMe drives.

32 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's actually NVME vs. AHCI. SATA is the interface, and PCIE is another. M.2 is the connector.

There are M.2 NVME PCIE SSDs, M.2 AHCI PCIE SSDs, and M.2 SATA SSDs. M.2 NVME drives top out around 3.5GB/s (this isn't a cap, just the fastest drive available now), M.2 AHCI drives top out around 1.5GB/s iirc, and M.2 SATA drives top out around 500MB/s.

Oh ok, thank you for the differentiation :)

1 hour ago, WhatsGoingOn said:

There are M.2 SSDs that are basically just regular SATA SSDs with a different connector, and then there are M.2 SSDs that run PCIe/NVMe, which allows for much higher speeds on paper. The real-world difference is quite small in normal use, and since the NVMe drives are often a lot more expensive, it's often a better idea to get one of the slower M.2 SSDs. Especially if you'd like more space.