Internal USB: 11-pin plug on 9-pin connector?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Supposedly you can leave the extra two pins dangling: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/Proprietary-USB-header-on-D10-6493/td-p/748699

However, the wiring has me concerned. Standard USB coloring for wires state that red is +5V and where that red wire is going is not where it's supposed to go on a standard USB front panel header.

Hi,

I've got an ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE mATX Motherboard and a PCIE Expansion Card (its a Lenovo BA7E78 PCIe Adapter). 

The strange thing is that the expansion card has an 11-pin USB connector to connect to the mobo. But the Motherboard has only 2 internal USB connectors, which are both 9 pin. How am I supposed to connect the 11pin-Plug into a 9 pin connector? 

Thanks in advance!

2017-05-08 06.08.16.jpg

2017-05-08 06.08.22.jpg

2017-05-08 06.08.28.jpg

Supposedly you can leave the extra two pins dangling: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/Proprietary-USB-header-on-D10-6493/td-p/748699

However, the wiring has me concerned. Standard USB coloring for wires state that red is +5V and where that red wire is going is not where it's supposed to go on a standard USB front panel header.

Okay. If I do it like this, then the one black cable (the one on the left on the second picture) will NOT be connected - can this be right?

And can something go wrong if the wiring s messed up? (Can I kill my motherboard?)

Does no one know this for sure? I don't like to go with trial-and-error, if it can possibly damage my motherboard :D

NOTE: Maybe the wiring is not in standard colors, because it's not a USB cable, it's a cable connected to a PCIE Wifi+Bluetooth Adapter with a strange plug on the other side...

But can it be right that one (black) wire will not be connected if I leave 2 pins dangling?

EDIT: I tried it, and it worked just by letting those pins "overhang". 

• 3 years later...

Maybe too late, but just came across the solution to this today. If you only want to add Wifi, you only need to plug in the card, if you want BT you will need to do some re-pinning. You're going to need to grab a spare USB 2.0 cable, only one end needs to have the header for a mobo, all you need is the plastic header this is where the new pins will go. This video should help on how to remove pins an re-insert the one's from the card. I added a pic of where I re-pinned the connectors, and a pic of my re-pinned cable. It is fairly easy, and works for my board. Hopefully someone can use this guide in the future.

PinoutEdit.png

image0.jpeg

IMG_3991.JPG