Misterious HDD and SSD failure

So, My desktop, Saphira, has some misterious issues where it won't boot without discharging and will chrash when put under extreme loads. so I thought. oke PSU is to blame.SO I borrow my friends 550W Adata PSU and test it out. now, what you should know is that my PSU has two 5v out leads which have to power a GTX560Ti, a WD 1TB hard drive, a Kingston 120GB SSD and a diskdrive. I have the HDD and SSD on one lead and the diskdrive on the other. the GPU power is divided over the two leads. this shoul in theory work just fine.

oke so now, what happened is the following: I tested the Adata, (which by the way, didn't solve the issue) and reverted the system to my corsair 600W. when I restarted the system however, It wouldn't boot because there was no boot device available, except for the diskdrive. after some trouble shooting, it turned out that my HDD and SSD had been fried, but the diskdrive and GPU were just fine. Has anybody got a clue what happened? I'd really like to know.

______     ______     ______     ______     __  __     __   __     ______     __   __     ______     ______  
/\  __ \   /\  == \   /\  __ \   /\  ___\   /\ \_\ \   /\ "-.\ \   /\  ___\   /\ "-.\ \   /\  ___\   /\__  _\ 
\ \  __ \  \ \  __<   \ \  __ \  \ \ \____  \ \  __ \  \ \ \-.  \  \ \  __\   \ \ \-.  \  \ \  __\   \/_/\ \/ 
 \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\\"\_\  \ \_____\  \ \_\\"\_\  \ \_____\    \ \_\ 
  \/_/\/_/   \/_/ /_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_/\/_/   \/_/ \/_/   \/_____/   \/_/ \/_/   \/_____/     \/_/ 

49 minutes ago, ArachneNet said:

So, My desktop, Saphira, has some misterious issues where it won't boot without discharging and will chrash when put under extreme loads. so I thought. oke PSU is to blame.SO I borrow my friends 550W Adata PSU and test it out. now, what you should know is that my PSU has two 5v out leads which have to power a GTX560Ti, a WD 1TB hard drive, a Kingston 120GB SSD and a diskdrive. I have the HDD and SSD on one lead and the diskdrive on the other. the GPU power is divided over the two leads. this shoul in theory work just fine.

oke so now, what happened is the following: I tested the Adata, (which by the way, didn't solve the issue) and reverted the system to my corsair 600W. when I restarted the system however, It wouldn't boot because there was no boot device available, except for the diskdrive. after some trouble shooting, it turned out that my HDD and SSD had been fried, but the diskdrive and GPU were just fine. Has anybody got a clue what happened? I'd really like to know.

It sounds like the PSU decided to let up and probably send more than safe voltage through the specific wire leading to your storage drives. Sounds like a very rare occurrence though, it only happened to one of my buddies before and that was years ago. Seems like now all you have left to do is to purchase new drives and a new power supply. Hopefully, you backed up the data so you can restore.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Thanks, yeah, seems like the most likely explaination. unfortunately, I was still saving money for a backup drive, so no backup. shame. welp....

______     ______     ______     ______     __  __     __   __     ______     __   __     ______     ______  
/\  __ \   /\  == \   /\  __ \   /\  ___\   /\ \_\ \   /\ "-.\ \   /\  ___\   /\ "-.\ \   /\  ___\   /\__  _\ 
\ \  __ \  \ \  __<   \ \  __ \  \ \ \____  \ \  __ \  \ \ \-.  \  \ \  __\   \ \ \-.  \  \ \  __\   \/_/\ \/ 
 \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_\\"\_\  \ \_____\  \ \_\\"\_\  \ \_____\    \ \_\ 
  \/_/\/_/   \/_/ /_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_/\/_/   \/_/ \/_/   \/_____/   \/_/ \/_/   \/_____/     \/_/ 

When you tried your friend's PSU did you use the cables included with his/her PSU?

PSUs are implemented differently by different manufacturers, yes they are the same connector but they are usually wired differently.

@thesonyuh oh...I see. in fact, i did not. that might explain...right.. thanks for the comment! that really helps!