vmware problems

So... good news is I finally got my server and it is working. Bad news, I can't seem to get vmware installed on it.

The server is the Dell Precision 690 with dual X5355 and 32GB of ddr2. I was able to load up Linux Mint no problem at all, but every time I try and install VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5.0a I get an error saying "AP 1 is incompatible with BSP; cannot start". I forgot to take a picture of the error screen, but I found this online which is basically the exact same error screen I got.

Spoiler

IMG_0221.JPG

I read up on it a little (although I am fairly noob when is comes to vmware and virtualization), and found something saying it may be the servers Bios that needs an update and that I may need to tweak a few settings in it as well.

Anyway, any help on this problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

So... good news is I finally got my server and it is working. Bad news, I can't seem to get vmware installed on it.

The server is the Dell Precision 690 with dual X5355 and 32GB of ddr2. I was able to load up Linux Mint no problem at all, but every time I try and install VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5.0a I get an error saying "AP 1 is incompatible with BSP; cannot start". I forgot to take a picture of the error screen, but I found this online which is basically the exact same error screen I got.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0221.JPG

I read up on it a little (although I am fairly noob when is comes to vmware and virtualization), and found something saying it may be the servers Bios that needs an update and that I may need to tweak a few settings in it as well.

did you turn on virtualization in the bios and update it to the newest edition?

Just now, Alaradia said:

did you turn on virtualization in the bios and update it to the newest edition?

Virtualization is definitely on in the bios. I am working on updating the bios right now.

Christ no. 

That machine (as you know) is very outdated, the latest version of ESXI isn't going to be nearly compatible with it. The install media contains all the drivers it needs to install, that version will not contain the drivers required for the install and/or operation. You need to check the HCL for that kind of thing, although I don't think you'll find that model on it.

Try ESXI 5.0 first, if that works then you could try 5.5.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

10 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

Christ no. 

That machine (as you know) is very outdated, the latest version of ESXI isn't going to be nearly compatible with it. The install media contains all the drivers it needs to install, that version will not contain the drivers required for the install and/or operation. You need to check the HCL for that kind of thing, although I don't think you'll find that model on it.

Try ESXI 5.0 first, if that works then you could try 5.5.

Good point... I tried installing 5.0 and it still failed. Only this time it did something different. It jumped to the grey and yellow screen and is stuck at "Initializing scheduler". Left it there for at least 2 hours and no change.

Just a note, I am using a USB to install it. Forgot to mention that in the original post.

13 hours ago, mpsparrow said:

Good point... I tried installing 5.0 and it still failed. Only this time it did something different. It jumped to the grey and yellow screen and is stuck at "Initializing scheduler". Left it there for at least 2 hours and no change.

Just a note, I am using a USB to install it. Forgot to mention that in the original post.

USB is pretty much the standard way to install it. Try another USB if you want just to rule that out.

Those specs are kind of similar to the Poweredge 2900/2950 in that you could get it with that Processor configuration. Obviously the motherboard and other stuff will be different but this might be the closest you will get. So what you could try is using the Dell customised image for the Poweredge 2900 located here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=D2NRN&fileId=3586956454&osCode=XI55&productCode=poweredge-2900&languageCode=en&categoryId=EC

This is for ESXI 5.5, there are customised images for 5.0 and 5.1 also.

I'm sure there was another server that was similar to this in terms of specs but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was! 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

On 8. 5. 2017 at 2:03 AM, mpsparrow said:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0221.JPG

I can suggest reset BIOS to defaults (even with disabled virtualization, installer starts and just tells you on end of setup that your CPU doesn't have enabled VT-x...)
next suggestion (because vmware has all drivers embedded) - install it to disk on another computer and try to run that disk it on Precision

and last thing for now, try it with just one CPU

PS: use something below 6.5.0 (e.g. 6.0 U3, because in 6.5.0 they added some things to improve security and it has bad impact on unsupported patches etc...)

14 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

USB is pretty much the standard way to install it. Try another USB if you want just to rule that out.

Those specs are kind of similar to the Poweredge 2900/2950 in that you could get it with that Processor configuration. Obviously the motherboard and other stuff will be different but this might be the closest you will get. So what you could try is using the Dell customised image for the Poweredge 2900 located here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=D2NRN&fileId=3586956454&osCode=XI55&productCode=poweredge-2900&languageCode=en&categoryId=EC

This is for ESXI 5.5, there are customised images for 5.0 and 5.1 also.

I'm sure there was another server that was similar to this in terms of specs but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was! 

Tired it and didn't work. Got past the ESXi installing but failed when it was Initializing.

12 hours ago, iJarda said:

I can suggest reset BIOS to defaults (even with disabled virtualization, installer starts and just tells you on end of setup that your CPU doesn't have enabled VT-x...)
next suggestion (because vmware has all drivers embedded) - install it to disk on another computer and try to run that disk it on Precision

and last thing for now, try it with just one CPU

PS: use something below 6.5.0 (e.g. 6.0 U3, because in 6.5.0 they added some things to improve security and it has bad impact on unsupported patches etc...)

Those are not half bad suggestions... I shall try some of them.