2x Thunderbolt 3 = 2x dual DP = 4x 4K monitors??

edgarlemos
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
4 hours ago, edgarlemos said:

Thank you @Glenwing!

Actually it makes sense! But as the MBP have two controllers, would it be able to run 4x 4k monitors?? (It looks like it, as seen on the web!)

I must ask, do you know any windows laptop/ultrabook that have this kind of capabilities? I mean 2 TB3 controllers that would be able to run 4x 4k monitors/tv's?

Regards and thank you for your answer :)

Yes, the 15" does support four 4K monitors. Only the four TB3 model though, not the two TB3 port one. I don't know of any windows laptops like this yet.

Hello guys, I'm new in the forum so I hope to be posting on the right place :)

My question is:
I've been watching the new 2nd Gen ThinkPad X1 Yoga which has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

I wonder, if I buy two Plugable Thunderbolt to 2x DP (and then 4 DP to HDMI 2.0), will I be able to run Four 4K TV monitors??

It has a i7-7650u and an Intel HD620.

I'm not planning to play games just have the real estate to run software.

Do you guys think this is possible?

Actually I only need 3 4k TV's, but still..

Laptop link: http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-2nd-Generation/p/22TP2TXX12Y

Best regards :)

I see!

Thank you for your response!

So, what kind of gpu would I be looking for to be able to do so (run 4x 4k@60)?

I mean, If I turn-off (somehow) the laptop display and only use 3 external 4k monitors, would it be possible to run at 4k@60?

Regards!

2 hours ago, edgarlemos said:

Hello guys, I'm new in the forum so I hope to be posting on the right place :)

My question is:
I've been watching the new 2nd Gen ThinkPad X1 Yoga which has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

I wonder, if I buy two Plugable Thunderbolt to 2x DP (and then 4 DP to HDMI 2.0), will I be able to run Four 4K TV monitors??

It has a i7-7650u and an Intel HD620.

I'm not planning to play games just have the real estate to run software.

Do you guys think this is possible?

Actually I only need 3 4k TV's, but still..

Laptop link: http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-2nd-Generation/p/22TP2TXX12Y

Best regards :)

Unlikely, a pair of Thunderbolt 3 ports is provided by one dual-port control chip, which only has 8 DisplayPort lanes total. All 8 lanes can be allocated to a single TB3 port, allowing double DP bandwidth out of a single port, but this will disable display capability completely on the second port since there are no DP lanes left over for it.

Easy example of this is the MacBook Pro, four TB3 ports, two on each side; Apple's own documentation specifically states in order to use dual 5K monitors (which take 8 DP lanes each), you cannot connect them to TB3 ports on the same side of the laptop, you have to plug one monitor on one side, and the other on the other side of the laptop. This is because each pair of ports share 8 DP lanes between them, so to get 16 lanes for dual 5K monitors you need to connect to TB3 ports on separate controllers (so opposite sides of the laptop), can't be done from two ports on the same controller.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207448

9 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Unlikely, a pair of Thunderbolt 3 ports is provided by one dual-port control chip, which only has 8 DisplayPort lanes total. All 8 lanes can be allocated to a single TB3 port, allowing double DP bandwidth out of a single port, but this will disable display capability completely on the second port since there are no DP lanes left over for it.

Easy example of this is the MacBook Pro, four TB3 ports, two on each side; Apple's own documentation specifically states in order to use dual 5K monitors (which take 8 DP lanes each), you cannot connect them to TB3 ports on the same side of the laptop, you have to plug one monitor on one side, and the other on the other side of the laptop. This is because each pair of ports share 8 DP lanes between them, so to get 16 lanes for dual 5K monitors you need to connect to TB3 ports on separate controllers (so opposite sides of the laptop), can't be done from two ports on the same controller.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207448

Thank you @Glenwing!

Actually it makes sense! But as the MBP have two controllers, would it be able to run 4x 4k monitors?? (It looks like it, as seen on the web!)

I must ask, do you know any windows laptop/ultrabook that have this kind of capabilities? I mean 2 TB3 controllers that would be able to run 4x 4k monitors/tv's?

4 hours ago, edgarlemos said:

Thank you @Glenwing!

Yes, the 15" does support four 4K monitors. Only the four TB3 model though, not the two TB3 port one. I don't know of any windows laptops like this yet.

Thank you @Glenwing!

Honestly I don't see myself buying a MBP just to drive WIn10 all the time, it just doesn't give the full potentiality of a "PC" laptop.

I'll keep looking.

Thank you once again :)