16x gpu in 1x slot no riser

Ok so I plan to do a bit of GPU mining I have 3 RX 470. 2 of them are in 16x slots and I have 1 1x slot free. my motherboard has one of those 1x slits at the end so I can but larger cards in. The 1x slot is 2 slots down from the bottom x16 slot which has one of the RX 470s in it. I removed the backplate on the card that goes on the bottom and it fits. the clearance is not perfect. I have to use right angle SATA connectors that go under the power supply to make it fit.

The exposed part of the connector on the GPU might be touching caps on the side or the metal part of the SATA connector so I plan to add some sort of plastic protective wrap around it or something like that to protect it from scratching or shorting(I think it should be fine since it's just data, just a precaution)

I'm just wondering if this is okay maybe because of power draw or something if it's to Janky. I don't really want to get a riser since I want it to be inline with the rest of the cards.

Just a general input: I hope you don't pay for electricity?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

9 minutes ago, snipy67 said:

Ok so I plan to do a bit of GPU mining I have 3 RX 470. 2 of them are in 16x slots and I have 1 1x slot free. my motherboard has one of those 1x slits at the end so I can but larger cards in. The 1x slot is 2 slots down from the bottom x16 slot which has one of the RX 470s in it. I removed the backplate on the card that goes on the bottom and it fits. the clearance is not perfect. I have to use right angle SATA connectors that go under the power supply to make it fit.

The exposed part of the connector on the GPU might be touching caps on the side or the metal part of the SATA connector so I plan to add some sort of plastic protective wrap around it or something like that to protect it from scratching or shorting(I think it should be fine since it's just data, just a precaution)

I'm just wondering if this is okay maybe because of power draw or something if it's to Janky. I don't really want to get a riser since I want it to be inline with the rest of the cards.

Yes, graphics cards can function in ×1 slots, if that's what you want to know. You probably don't have to worry about touching the capacitors either, since the bottom of the PCIe connector is just board, the conductive pins are only on the sides and don't wrap around the bottom. If you want to be sure though, just some tape on the PCIe connector will work fine.

thanks for the feedback :D

Update:

so I put tape on it and put in the card. The other card would not fit with the backplate screws in so I took them off and put them back in the box. there still screws on the side of the card so it should still hold in place. the GPU heatsink backplate is still on so there with screws so it should still be a proper connection with the heatsink. as far as I can tell the GPU cover is still on there securely and the cover is also resting against the power supply.

I do notice the card is on a very slight angle because of the SATA connector and front pannel connectors

18308999_10211940677943981_2112557955_n.jpg

Updated #2:

there this metal part on the front of the other card and the clearance which might be touching the other components of the other card so I reapplied the plastic that came on the card and snipped it off around the fan. there should be enough airflow between the cards because there is a small divet 7 mm gap between the cards where the fan is. the other card has part of the fan on the bottom blowing out the air into the other fan. there a fan in front of the case directly blowing air in that direction.