Windows installer won't detect the hard drive - Samsung N130

bartekxx12
Go to solution Solved by LOLPhilips,

Did you partition and format your new HDD during the installation process?

If you select "Custom" install it should give you a screen that lets you select where to install windows. For a brand new disk then it will just show "empty space" on the drive. If you tell it to install into the "empty space" then it will automatically partition and format the available space on the drive.

If you want to partition it yourself then you have to click on the "Advanced..." option on that screen which will give you some more choices.

If you tried that:

Another thing is check the bios whether IDE or AHCI mode is on and just change it to whatever itis not on..

Hi, I am having trouble installing Windows onto a Netbook I got to fix. (Samsung N130)

The netbook had a dead hard drive so I replaced it and now have to re-install Windows onto the new drive however, when trying to install Windows the installer says that it can't find any drives and wants me to point it to storage controller drivers. This happens when trying to install Windows 7, Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 and the thing is, I can't find any storage drivers for this netbook online...anywhere. 

Does anyone know what to do in this case? The new drive is definitely connected as it's detected in the BIOS and Ubuntu installed just fine, and the laptop did have Windows 7 Starter before so it's definitely possible to install it... 

Any help would be appreciated. 

If you select "Custom" install it should give you a screen that lets you select where to install windows. For a brand new disk then it will just show "empty space" on the drive. If you tell it to install into the "empty space" then it will automatically partition and format the available space on the drive.

If you want to partition it yourself then you have to click on the "Advanced..." option on that screen which will give you some more choices.

If you tried that:

Another thing is check the bios whether IDE or AHCI mode is on and just change it to whatever itis not on..

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

If you tried that:

Yeah, it's just that I can't even get to the Custom screen, it wants drive drivers as soon as I click "Install Windows", before drive selection and all of that. 

Changing the mode from IDE to AHCI seems like a good idea but there is no such option in the BIOS since it's a netbook. 

Well so I just managed to fix this, I downloaded the chipset drivers from Samsung's website, changed the file extension of the file from .exe to .rar. Extracted the folder called Win7 and placed that on my Pen Drive with Windows 7. 

Well so I just managed to fix this, I downloaded the chipset drivers from Samsung's website, changed the file extension of the file from .exe to .rar. Extracted the folder called Win7 and placed that on my Pen Drive with Windows 7. 

So everything fixed now ?? I'm glad to hear you made progress

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

So everything fixed now ?? I'm glad to hear you made progress

Yes :D It's currently installing Windows Updates :) 

Thank You

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem with my N130 netbook. Excuse my ignorance, but could you elaborate on which chipset driver(s) you downloaded? My netbook runs on WinXP, not Win7 and I want to replace the HDD with an SSD. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem with my N130 netbook. Excuse my ignorance, but could you elaborate on which chipset driver(s) you downloaded? My netbook runs on WinXP, not Win7 and I want to replace the HDD with an SSD. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, from the Samsung website  - http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-N130-KA01UK-downloads 

I downloaded the driver described as "Chipset", I got the Windows 7 one but if you're using XP then download that.. What you get is a zip file with an .exe installer file inside it. Extract the .exe installer file from the zip and change the extension of the installer from .exe to .rar. You can then open the installer in WinRar or probably any other program that reads .rar files and extract all the files and folders from it into a new folder that you then place on USB pendrive. Aaand, that should be it. :) 

Thanks for the info, but I think I mis-understood your original problem. What I'm trying to do is somehow enable AHCI mode but it doesn't look like that's possible and I'll just have to stick with IDE mode. Thanks for your help though.

• 1 year later...

i have the same problem but its with 2x ssd as RAID o

it recognises 2 drives in non-raid but not in raid 0
HELP!!