4790k vs 7700k at 1440p

leelaa14
1 minute ago, IceCold008 said:

Its the GPU which is causing that and its what you want to happen every system has a bottleneck when it comes to gaming. You want your GPU to bottleneck lol. And i no what a bottleneck is and what too look for. lol. 

Bottleneck: "it refers to a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or small number of components or resources."

A 1080ti is more than capable of running 1440p with the highest presets at over 120fps consistently.  Therefore, either you have no bottleneck as that performance is in line with the best available displays or you have something else limiting your performance.  Either way, you don't have a GPU "bottleneck".

11 minutes ago, aithos said:

Bottleneck: "it refers to a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or small number of components or resources."

A 1080ti is more than capable of running 1440p with the highest presets at over 120fps consistently.  Therefore, either you have no bottleneck as that performance is in line with the best available displays or you have something else limiting your performance.  Either way, you don't have a GPU "bottleneck".

Yea im running my 1080ti at 1440p and yes some games im not getting a bottleneck but others i am. Running some of the lastest AAA titles on ultra settings. Well thats put it this way. ALL the games im maxing out my GPU. The higher overclock it the better slight improvement in FPS. The LIMITING factor or component to increase my FPS is MY GPU not my CPU. Every system hits a brick wall if its 50 FPS at 1080p or 300 FPS at 1440p. Some games im getting the same FPS at 1440p as i would with the same settings at 1080p. I tested this out with my two monitors i have, since i have a 1440p and a 1080p. Now at 1080p the gtx 1080ti gets bottlenecked hard by my CPU. The limiting factor here is the CPU. The gtx 1080ti is just too powerful for 1080p tbh. Its not hitting his full power at that resolution. However at 1440p is great and 4k. Now at 4k there anit no bottlenecking on a 1080ti but at 1440p there is SOME. Depends on your system and what game and settings you have.

And not every game can hit over 120fps at 1440p for example. Im playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on 1440p ultra settings im getting average 70 fps. Dam i wish i could hit 120fps consistently lol

3 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Yea im running my 1080ti at 1440p and yes some games im not getting a bottleneck but others i am. Running some of the lastest AAA titles on ultra settings. Well thats put it this way. ALL the games im maxing out my GPU. The higher overclock it the better slight improvement in FPS. The LIMITING factor or component to increase my FPS is MY GPU not my CPU. Every system hits a brick wall if its 50 FPS at 1080p or 300 FPS at 1440p. Some games im getting the same FPS at 1440p as i would with the same settings at 1080p. I tested this out with my two monitors i have, since i have a 1440p and a 1080p. Now at 1080p the gtx 1080ti gets bottlenecked hard by my CPU. The limiting factor here is the CPU. The gtx 1080ti is just too powerful for 1080p tbh. Its not hitting his full power at that resolution. However at 1440p is great and 4k. Now at 4k there anit no bottlenecking on a 1080ti but at 1440p there is SOME. Depends on your system and what game and settings you have.

What you're talking about there are engine limitations and not hardware ones.  I don't consider it a bottleneck on your GPU if a game engine isn't optimized well enough to properly utilize the power of your card.  A bottleneck is when something is preventing your system from reaching expected levels of performance, IE: if your card wasn't capable of playing a game with an adequate framerate without other factors being involved such as the game engine.

26 minutes ago, aithos said:

What you're talking about there are engine limitations and not hardware ones.  I don't consider it a bottleneck on your GPU if a game engine isn't optimized well enough to properly utilize the power of your card.  A bottleneck is when something is preventing your system from reaching expected levels of performance, IE: if your card wasn't capable of playing a game with an adequate framerate without other factors being involved such as the game engine.

This where the definition of bottleneck gets interpreted different depending on whom reads it. "Limited by a single or small number of componments." Key word here is limited. 

By that very definition that means restricted in size, amount, or extent; few, small, or short. Now playing some games you hit your top fps depending on a number of different factors. But usually is either the CPU or GPU which is the limiting factor. Now that is a number of things you can do to decrease that limitation. For example. Upgrade hardware. Or overclock your hardware or do software upgrades/patches etc. Maxing out your GPU when playing games. And not your CPU which for example. What does this tell you. Lets say my game is GPU bound. My graphics card is hitting a limitation. It need more of a overclock. So if you overlock your GPU your increase your fps by x% for example. But you will be still limited by that single component. Your allways going to be LIMITED by a single or more than 1 component. Some people says its a bottleneck some people says its a game engine limitation. Techinically today modern games. Should not be limited in any way when it comes to FPS. There is some games which have a fps cap for example Mafia 3 did have a 60fps cap when it was first release. They changed that later on like. Personally i hate saying bottleneck i should be saying FPS limiter or some other word. TBH  a bottleneck can be either a hardware or software limitation. It might be my GPU which for example is my bottleneck "had to say it again" But techincally it can be down to the software engine inside my GPU which is the limiting factor here. Either way people call it bottleneck. 

On 5/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, IceCold008 said:

This where the definition of bottleneck gets interpreted different depending on whom reads it. "Limited by a single or small number of componments." Key word here is limited. 

By that very definition that means restricted in size, amount, or extent; few, small, or short. Now playing some games you hit your top fps depending on a number of different factors. But usually is either the CPU or GPU which is the limiting factor. Now that is a number of things you can do to decrease that limitation. For example. Upgrade hardware. Or overclock your hardware or do software upgrades/patches etc. Maxing out your GPU when playing games. And not your CPU which for example. What does this tell you. Lets say my game is GPU bound. My graphics card is hitting a limitation. It need more of a overclock. So if you overlock your GPU your increase your fps by x% for example. But you will be still limited by that single component. Your allways going to be LIMITED by a single or more than 1 component. Some people says its a bottleneck some people says its a game engine limitation. Techinically today modern games. Should not be limited in any way when it comes to FPS. There is some games which have a fps cap for example Mafia 3 did have a 60fps cap when it was first release. They changed that later on like. Personally i hate saying bottleneck i should be saying FPS limiter or some other word. TBH  a bottleneck can be either a hardware or software limitation. It might be my GPU which for example is my bottleneck "had to say it again" But techincally it can be down to the software engine inside my GPU which is the limiting factor here. Either way people call it bottleneck. 

The point was that a "Bottleneck" is an implied negative, where you're saying that you have sub-par performance.  If you are getting very good performance, then you don't have a bottleneck, you have a limitation.  As in "I could get even more fps if I had a better <insert component>", that isn't the same thing as a bottleneck.  In case you haven't figured this out yet, I'm taking exception to the terminology that you're using... I'm not saying that you aren't right about what the limiting factor in your situation is.  You don't have a bottleneck with a 1080ti.

Ok lets change that last sentence then. My 1080TI hitting its limit since its maxxing out at 100% GPU usuage.  Some people would say my GPU is hitting a bottleneck either way its hitting its limit. And tbh a bottleneck does not have to be in the negative it can be in fact be a positive as well. My GPU hitting 100% is a positive for my system. Im getting my money worth which i paid for. Whats the point in buying a peice of hardware if its only getting half used. Might as well throw the other half down the tiolet lol. Enough said.

44 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Ok lets change that last sentence then. My 1080TI hitting its limit since its maxxing out at 100% GPU usuage.  Some people would say my GPU is hitting a bottleneck either way its hitting its limit. And tbh a bottleneck does not have to be in the negative it can be in fact be a positive as well. My GPU hitting 100% is a positive for my system. Im getting my money worth which i paid for. Whats the point in buying a peice of hardware if its only getting half used. Might as well throw the other half down the tiolet lol. Enough said.

I agree with this. I think everyone who games should be hoping for a gpu bottleneck as this way, we are using are gpu to the maximum. CPU on the other hand being on 100 and gpu being lower is bad, from what i can tell.
So, gpu bottleneck is good, cpu botleneck is bad. 99% of the time?

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I play on 1440p 165Hz with 4770k OCd to 4.5GHz, works great.

New CPU came today. Running 4.6 ghz at 1.25v. Still feel the 8gb ram is holding me back so waiting to sell my old cpu and get 2 new 8gb sticks.
Thanks all for the help.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

• 5 months later...

CPU bottlenecking?? and the devil cannon! It maybe due thermal ddownclocking or underclocking itself. I never got low performance from Intel i5s and devil cannon is more then normal i5.

2 hours ago, shehzad said:

CPU bottlenecking?? and the devil cannon! It maybe due thermal ddownclocking or underclocking itself. I never got low performance from Intel i5s and devil cannon is more then normal i5.

I got the 4790k and bottlenecking is now gone. And yep, in certain games there were bottlenecks. Bottleneck don't mean low performance, it just means your not getting the maximum performance out of your hardware. In csgo people could use a 1080ti and 7700k and get 500fps but would be bottlenecked in the end. 
My thermals were fine, I use a h105 and ran the cpu at 1.23v. Never went over 55c when gaming. I5 lacked the multithreaded performance to keep up with my gpu. Simple as that really.