Memory usage too high

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 home premium 64bit but by taking a look at the ram usage I don't think the computer can handle 64bit. Everything was very slow like moving windows and just general usage. Should I reinstall the 32bit version?

IMG_20170503_174552.jpg

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It doesn't matter if you use the 64-bit or the 32-bit version. However, that still is pretty high for a fresh install of Windows. Is there anything you can out from the Processes tab to see if someone's eating up a lot of RAM?

These are the only processes that are running.

IMG_20170503_180148.jpg

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You need to press the button on the bottom left that says "Show processes from all users"

Oh sorry

IMG_20170503_180503.jpg

20 minutes ago, Running Raptors said:

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 home premium 64bit but by taking a look at the ram usage I don't think the computer can handle 64bit. Everything was very slow like moving windows and just general usage. Should I reinstall the 32bit version?

32-bit Windows should be installed on systems with 3GB of RAM or less, and 64-bit installed on systems with 4GB RAM or more. More than likely, SVCHOST.exe is also running a lot of checks for updates and drivers, since this is a fresh install. Even on an up-to-date Windows 10 system, I've had SVCHOST and other update related processes use "phantom RAM" (where they use RAM but don't really show it properly in TASKMGR) because they're working on stuff in the background.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

32-bit Windows should be installed on systems with 3GB of RAM or less, and 64-bit installed on systems with 4GB RAM or more. More than likely, SVCHOST.exe is also running a lot of checks for updates and drivers, since this is a fresh install. Even on an up-to-date Windows 10 system, I've had SVCHOST and other update related processes use "phantom RAM" (where they use RAM but don't really show it properly in TASKMGR) because they're working on stuff in the background.

I see svchost is eating most of the Memory. Should I finish doing all of the updates or just scrap it and just install 32bit?

Just now, Running Raptors said:

I see svchost is eating most of the Memory. Should I finish doing all of the updates or just scrap it and just install 32bit?

Do you ever plan on adding more RAM to this system, or is it an older system you're using for a specific purpose that you're not adding more RAM to in the next few years?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

11 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Tbh I have run 64bit on a athlon 64fx system with 2gb of ram and it was perfectly fine until I opened more than 5 tabs of Chrome. Then it went into umber slow mode. 3gb should be plenty for normal usage. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

28 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Do you ever plan on adding more RAM to this system, or is it an older system you're using for a specific purpose that you're not adding more RAM to in the next few years?

Well it's not my computer, it's my younger cousins computer. I think this computer is just to old for any upgrades. I opened it and it has two ram slots and I'm not sure what kind of memory that it supports or how much of it. The motherboard doesn't even have a pcie port. But if the ram is inexpensive then why not.

40 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Tbh I have run 64bit on a athlon 64fx system with 2gb of ram and it was perfectly fine until I opened more than 5 tabs of Chrome. Then it went into umber slow mode. 3gb should be plenty for normal usage. 

Not saying it doesn't run fine - you can indeed run 64-bit OS's on systems with even just 1GB of RAM, and 32-bit OS's on systems with 32GB RAM. It will work, it's just not going to make proper use of the RAM, and 64-bit OS's use a little more RAM than 32-bit OS's, so it doesn't make sense to run a 64-bit OS if the computer isn't going to have more than 3GB RAM at any given time.

15 minutes ago, Running Raptors said:

Well it's not my computer, it's my younger cousins computer. I think this computer is just to old for any upgrades. I opened it and it has two ram slots and I'm not sure what kind of memory that it supports or how much of it. The motherboard doesn't even have a pcie port. But if the ram is inexpensive then why not.

Then I'd wipe it and put 32-bit Windows on there, unless he needs 64-bit for some application.

34 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Not saying it doesn't run fine - you can indeed run 64-bit OS's on systems with even just 1GB of RAM, and 32-bit OS's on systems with 32GB RAM. It will work, it's just not going to make proper use of the RAM, and 64-bit OS's use a little more RAM than 32-bit OS's, so it doesn't make sense to run a 64-bit OS if the computer isn't going to have more than 3GB RAM at any given time.

Then I'd wipe it and put 32-bit Windows on there, unless he needs 64-bit for some application.

I think that's what I will do. I'm going to first let it do all of the updates that it needs to do and if it still isn't performing nicely then I will switch to 32bit. Thanks for everyone's responses and ideas.