Windows 8.1 small but annoying bug FIX!

samuel

Some of you already know you can add REFS file system as a formatting option by adding some registry keys in Windows 8.1 . However, this tweak stops the file history and windows image backup functionality.

So, to format a drive with REFS, add this registry path:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MiniNT\ "

Then add a DWORD value called "AllowRefsFormatOverNonmirrorVolume" and change it's value data from "0" to "1".

To use Windows Image Backup and File History , you need to delete "MiniNT" key you created earlier. Don't worry, your ReFS formatted drives are safe and are having full functionality. You just can't reformat them the same way. AAAND there is more: Don't know about file history because I don't use it, but you cannot perform a windows image backup when the target drive is having the ReFS file system. But you can move the "WindowsImageBackup" folder afet creation on any ReFS or NTFS drive root folder and the backup will still be valid.

Why all this hasle? I've got an old 320 GB HDD wich should be dead long ago (lots of reallocated sectors). If it finally fails, this FS will make make a better job at not corupting the whole drive, so you cand backup all non-corupted files. For the sake of consistency All my drives but "C" are formatted with REFS and have GUID Partition Table.

I'd like to request two .reg file for enabling and disabling ReFS for those more "superuserer" than I am.

Update: made a key myself...:D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aIqLWcsqdnNXlndk9keFl2ajA/edit?usp=sharing

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

• 1 year later...

A little bit of a grave dig, however, I am seeking some clarification on the topic of ReFS - there is a lot of misinformation out there.

If I format a disk using ReFS will that provide me with protection against bit rot?

From what I have read, this will only be the case when ReFS volumes are configured in a mirrored storage pool - open to clarification on this one.

And also, is ECC memory required/recommended for the same reasons as with ZFS?

Maybe I just don't know how to Google, but I couldn't mind much on this topic on MS' website.

So why am I asking these questions?

I have raised the aforementioned questions as I am considering moving my standalone disks to ReFS - I won't be using storage pools. Under this use-case is it pointless for me to move to ReFS? What advantages would I have over my current NTFS configuration (please note my NTFS drives are all standalone)?