Asus aura...is there really no way to input an RGB value?

So I got an asus board with Aura and opened the Aura software, and can you really only use the "eyeball it" dial to control the color? I feel like being able to give actual R, G, and B values would be standard for a platform who's sole job it is to control your RGB colors.

as i've said in the past, and will probably keep saying in the future: asus isnt quite known for making good software.

chances are that if you can fish up the config file it saves to, it'll contain an R, G, and B value.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as i've said in the past, and will probably keep saying in the future: asus isnt quite known for making good software.

Never used this RGB program before but as someone with an Asus motherboard (that I otherwise love) omg this is so true

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Never used this RGB program before but as someone with an Asus motherboard (that I otherwise love) omg this is so true

i use AItweaker for fan speeds, i dont configure anything in tje software because oh crap is that stuff broken, i just use the config file :P

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

chances are that if you can fish up the config file it saves to, it'll contain an R, G, and B value.

i belive it uses hsl colors not rgb, but there are color converters online

1 minute ago, SilentXer0 said:

i belive it uses hsl colors not rgb, but there are color converters online

now you say.. that does sound like an asus thing to do..

"oh yeah, we have RGB LEDs, how will we store the values?" "hmm.. how about hue, saturation, and lightness?"

4 hours ago, manikyath said:

now you say.. that does sound like an asus thing to do..

"oh yeah, we have RGB LEDs, how will we store the values?" "hmm.. how about hue, saturation, and lightness?"

To be fair, regardless of how they store them, it makes a lot more sense to present an HSL colour picker to the user.  Humans think in terms of hue, saturation and lightness, not RGB.  Pick any colour and anyone can easily tell you if it's redish, blueish, etc, and if it's vibrant or dull, bright or dark.  Ask them for how much red green and blue it takes to product it and they'll look at you like an alien from another world

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be fair, regardless of how they store them, it makes a lot more sense to present an HSL colour picker to the user.  Humans think in terms of hue, saturation and lightness, not RGB.  Pick any colour and anyone can easily tell you if it's redish, blueish, etc, and if it's vibrant or dull, bright or dark.  Ask them for how much red green and blue it takes to product it and they'll look at you like an alien from another world

it's how you look at it, if you tell them that it's a light with red, green, and blue, and you can combine different intensities those to make any color, it starts to make a whole lot more sense.

And offcourse on the software side of things, RGB would be the more efficient way of doing things, because you'd essentially just use the 3 stored parameters and slap them on the outputs.

On 5/4/2017 at 1:53 AM, manikyath said:

it's how you look at it, if you tell them that it's a light with red, green, and blue, and you can combine different intensities those to make any color, it starts to make a whole lot more sense.

And offcourse on the software side of things, RGB would be the more efficient way of doing things, because you'd essentially just use the 3 stored parameters and slap them on the outputs.

Yeah, it makes sense to store it as RGB but I maintain that an HSL colour picker makes more sense.  And as evidence, I'd site the fact that the vast majority of colour pickers out there are in fact HSL or some variation thereof, and would go so far as to say most people have never even used an RGB picker, and would take quite some time to get the hang of it, where as I think people take to HSL rather easily and intuitively.  I think this hold true, even if they grasp the idea that colours of light can be made by combining different amounts of red green and blue.  Just knowing that that's how it works doesn't mean it's intuitive and that they can make the leap to being able to point at any colour and give a rough estimate for the RGB values

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, it makes sense to store it as RGB but I maintain that an HSL colour picker makes more sense.  And as evidence, I'd site the fact that the vast majority of colour pickers out there are in fact HSL or some variation thereof, and would go so far as to say most people have never even used an RGB picker, and would take quite some time to get the hang of it, where as I think people take to HSL rather easily and intuitively.  I think this hold true, even if they grasp the idea that colours of light can be made by combining different amounts of red green and blue.  Just knowing that that's how it works doesn't mean it's intuitive and that they can make the leap to being able to point at any colour and give a rough estimate for the RGB values

but in this topic, we're not talking about a color picker, we're talking about inputting RGB values, which is a thing in almost every place where you have to pick a color.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but in this topic, we're not talking about a color picker, we're talking about inputting RGB values, which is a thing in almost every place where you have to pick a color.

Well, they go hand in hand.  Whether you're dragging sliders or typing in a value, you're thinking about it the same way

That said, it makes sense to have a field for a HEX RGB value since that is so incredibly prevalent and standard.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, they go hand in hand.  Whether you're dragging sliders or typing in a value, you're thinking about it the same way

example: sims 3 has a HSL color picker, but you can also just directly punch in R, G, and B values if you so desire, as with MS office, the vareous online color pickers, etc.

Just now, manikyath said:

example: sims 3 has a HSL color picker, but you can also just directly punch in R, G, and B values if you so desire, as with MS office, the vareous online color pickers, etc.

yeah that is common (see my edit :P)

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

yeah that is common (see my edit :P)

it's usually there because of idiocy like office 365 having different "standard colors" (much standard..) between the desktop excel, and the in-browser excel, so, you could -theoretically- punch in the exact colors you want with 100% accuraccy... if the online freaking excel had a color picker beyond standard in the first place...

punching in RGB values isnt as much of a "color picker", as it is a "color apply-er". you have chosen your color in the past, and wish to have that exact color everywhere. and no matter how much sense HSL makes to the human brain, a computer thinks RGB :P