The brain of the computer is CPU or Hard Drive?

5 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

HDD/SSD. Use can replace the CPU and still have everything working as normal. but if you replace the HSS/SSD you've lost everything on it

What... that doesn't even make any sense.

A person (and by extension, a brain) can exist and function without, say, long term memory. They cannot function without the CPU.

The answer is neither, and both. Neither is the brain, individually. Both are "part" of the brain.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

38 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What... that doesn't even make any sense.

A person (and by extension, a brain) can exist and function without, say, long term memory. They cannot function without the CPU.

The answer is neither, and both. Neither is the brain, individually. Both are "part" of the brain.

a hard drive has its own board and chips in it.. a cpu does not

hddpcb.jpg

some may argue with the right advancements to the chips a hard drive can run a pc without a cpu "theoretically"  but a cpu have to rely on ram to function 

4 minutes ago, DemonicHeart said:

a hard drive has its own board and chips in it.. a cpu does not

hddpcb.jpg

some may argue with the right advancements to the chips a hard drive can run a pc without a cpu "theoretically"  but a cpu have to rely on ram to function 

Err no. "Theoretically", you could design a HDD that has a CPU and memory capable of running an OS. But then, "theoretically", I could design a CPU that has onboard RAM and non-volatile memory, that could also run an OS.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Err no. "Theoretically", you could design a HDD that has a CPU and memory capable of running an OS. But then, "theoretically", I could design a CPU that has onboard RAM and non-volatile memory, that could also run an OS.

ok ok good one lol

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Ohai, System-On-A-Chip.

SoC's don't generally have the storage built in - but that's not exactly a strict rule or anything.

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

SoC's don't generally have the storage built in - but that's not exactly a strict rule or anything.

They might have some storage for firmware or the bootloader.

Which can be enough to throw on an OS, technically. Like QP or micro Linux.

I agree with many points stated throughout this thread. However, given the 2 choices, I'd say the CPU is closer to the "brain" compared to a storage medium.

I'd say the whole lot because the PC needs to think and also to remember. Whole PC for me yo.

No one likes fanboys.

A whole computer is a brain. CPU is the thinking, RAM is short term memory and Hard Drive is long-term memory.