CPU upgrade

i have a rx 480 8gb and i feel like my cpu (fx 6300) is a little bit of a bottleneck especially as i want to stream and i want to upgrade it but keep my current motherboard and im not to sure what am3+ cpu will be best to upgrade to so can someone help me out. I'm guessing it will be an fx 83*something* but what one would be best for me?

3 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

i have a rx 480 8gb and i feel like my cpu (fx 6300) is a little bit of a bottleneck especially as i want to stream and i want to upgrade it but keep my current motherboard and im not to sure what am3+ cpu will be best to upgrade to so can someone help me out. I'm guessing it will be an fx 83*something* but what one would be best for me?

R5 1600.

EDIT: Ryzen is a million miles better than bulldozer in terms of architecture and IPC

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

R5 1600

thats am4 and i want to keep my current board (am3+) and ram (ddr3)

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not really worth getting another am3+ cpu. 

See my edit

but to upgrade to ryzen it will cost me about £400 ($520) and i dont want to spend that much, or is it still better to wait a lot longer and get ryzen than get an fx 83xx

Just now, Jessentis YouTube said:

but to upgrade to ryzen it will cost me about £400 ($520) and i dont want to spend that much, or is it still better to wait a lot longer and get ryzen than get an fx 83xx

save up, yes its better to wait a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

It will cost you £279 and its much better to wait

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£199.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£79.93 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £279.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 21:22 BST+0100

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

save up, yes its better to wait a bit. 

well ill have to probably wait a year and half to go to ryzen but 8 months to upgrade to fx 83xx because my birthday is in october then there is christmas and i already have things i want for those dates and i can get a fx 83xx this christmas but going to ryzen will have to be most of what i get for my birthday and christmas next year

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

It will cost you £279 and its much better to wait

Total: £279.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 21:22 BST+0100

i would also have to get ram because i have ddr3 right now and i would like to have 16gb so thats another £100 or so

i would also have to get ram because i have ddr3 right now and i would like to have 16gb so thats another £100 or so

£343

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£63.61 @ More Computers) 
Total: £343.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 21:27 BST+0100

2 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

well ill have to probably wait a year and half to go to ryzen but 8 months to upgrade to fx 83xx because my birthday is in october then there is christmas and i already have things i want for those dates and i can get a fx 83xx this christmas but going to ryzen will have to be most of what i get for my birthday and christmas next year

spring is upon us....

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

£343

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£63.61 @ More Computers) 
Total: £343.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 21:27 BST+0100

*16gb also wouldnt i be better off getting higher speed ram too to make the most of the cpu?

1 minute ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

*16gb also wouldnt i be better off getting higher speed ram too to make the most of the cpu?

Yes I was being as budget as possible. This is ideal:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£116.14 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £396.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 21:31 BST+0100

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

spring is upon us....

where i live there a either lots of counsil houses that arent looked after or houses that are well looked after so i dont have much potential in doing that plus i have anxiety and i would be scared to ask people :\

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Yes I was being as budget as possible. This is ideal:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£116.14 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £396.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-30 21:31 BST+0100

thats £400 and thats more than i would really like to spend and wait, i know there isnt much going on with cpus after all of ryzen but ill consider it because after waiting a year and a half there might be another cpu or ryzen, am4 boards and high speed ddr4 prices might have all gone down

40 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

The FX 8xxx series isn't really an upgrade and would still be a bottleneck for the Rx 480. Just wait and try to get Ryzen or Intel. We are giving you the best advice. Do you want a good PC or do you want to waste money?

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

1 hour ago, Krillingt75961 said:

The FX 8xxx series isn't really an upgrade and would still be a bottleneck for the Rx 480. Just wait and try to get Ryzen or Intel. We are giving you the best advice. Do you want a good PC or do you want to waste money?

i got the 480 for triple monitors not ultra/high single monitor so it needs more power in the gpu than the cpu doesnt it

i got the 480 for triple monitors not ultra/high single monitor so it needs more power in the gpu than the cpu doesnt it

You would be switching from an old underpowered cpu to another old underpowered cpu. I have experience with an 8320 and even at 4.5ghz it didn't do very well with anything I needed. Save up, invest in something that will last another 4-5 years at least and will have upgrade options and go from there.

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

2 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

You would be switching from an old underpowered cpu to another old underpowered cpu. I have experience with an 8320 and even at 4.5ghz it didn't do very well with anything I needed. Save up, invest in something that will last another 4-5 years at least and will have upgrade options and go from there.

if i did go for intel what cpu would be good with what i got, and if you wondered yes i overclock

1 minute ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

if i did go for intel what cpu would be good with what i got, and if you wondered yes i overclock

If you did an i5 is a good companion for an Rx 480. That being said, if you're going to get  new stuff, go with a Ryzen 5 since it is a better option.

Just now, Krillingt75961 said:

If you did an i5 is a good companion for an Rx 480. That being said, if you're going to get  new stuff, go with a Ryzen 5 since it is a better option.

okay, thanks

4 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

^^ You have your answer, just keep re reading the above post.

Also you have zero need for 16gb ram. Start at 8gb and save up for another 8gb if you must but can tell you now after a few months of gaming at 8gb you won't even be able to tell the difference. 

Ryzen 3 is perfect for you, If you want intel and keep your DDR3, I would highly reccomend a i5-4460 if you on a budget, but if you want to stream it will have to be a i7, so 4770 but will still not be perfect. If you buying new the only option to you is Ryzen, makes negative sense to go with intel in the current market. R5 1600 and you'll be good for years and years 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

^^ You have your answer, just keep re reading the above post.

Also you have zero need for 16gb ram. Start at 8gb and save up for another 8gb if you must but can tell you now after a few months of gaming at 8gb you won't even be able to tell the difference. 

Ryzen 3 is perfect for you, If you want intel and keep your DDR3, I would highly reccomend a i5-4460 if you on a budget, but if you want to stream it will have to be a i7, so 4770 but will still not be perfect. If you buying new the only option to you is Ryzen, makes negative sense to go with intel in the current market. R5 1600 and you'll be good for years and years 

i do like to have lots of ram though becuase i often play games that use up a fair amount of ram, i have background apps that i like to have running that use up a small but noticable amount of ram and i very often have lots of chrome tabs open and with the 8gb i have now it does very often use it all up. also random question but could you get 12gb of ram with 3 sticks of 4gb?

6 minutes ago, Jessentis YouTube said:

i do like to have lots of ram though becuase i often play games that use up a fair amount of ram, i have background apps that i like to have running that use up a small but noticable amount of ram and i very often have lots of chrome tabs open and with the 8gb i have now it does very often use it all up. also random question but could you get 12gb of ram with 3 sticks of 4gb?

the GE60 is a laptop :P so its 1x 4gb 1x 8gb and only stuck it in as was laying around :P 

you must remember ram speeds are riviling CPU speeds now, so stacking em doesn't show many gains when it at its limit it also flushes itself so fast and combo that with a SSD you don't need to stack them, its same as RAID 0 on SSD's the returns are so tiny considering the outlay. 

The most Ram intensive game i've play is GTA V on ultra and thats only using 6.5Gb. install MSI afterburner on your system, Take out 8GB and run your games, Enable the OSD and you can see how much memory your system is using, than pop it back in and check again, but this time compare the FPS, if your system has 16gb available itll just leave everything sitting there, doesn't mean you getting the performance from it.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333