New Ryzen build and Im lost

I just spent about $1500 & built a new PC. Ryzen 1700x, gtx 1070, 32gb ram, m.2 drive - to replace my 4 yr old Intel machine,  just wasn't cutting it with video editing any more, I needed more speed 

Put it together, fire it up, everything seems ok. Go to use some my video editor Davinci Resolve and the performance is WORSE than my 4 year old intel. Its quite noticeable. I run some benchmarks and they are brutal. Supposedly this cpu should do about 1500+ on cinebencz, but I get 917. In open GL would be 110 or so, I can't crack 70. Same thing when I did some 3dmark tests.. clearly something is wrong. How can this OC'd 3700 8 core Ryzen not be able to scrub a timeline without choppiness, and struggle to display a transition in a clip?

I was able to get my ram up to 2400 and OC'd the CPU to 3700... there is no difference.

What am I missing? BIOS shows CPU at 3700, RAM at 2400 speed. Cool temps, seems stable & fine. But performance is a joke. I feel so sick to my stomach. I spent all this money for nothing.

Please any help? I dont know what else to do or where to go from here. What could be causing poor performance when BIOS shows everything up and running fine? I have the most recent BIOS, most recent driver from nvidia, most recent chipset from AMD... updated windows... dont know where else to turn

Have you tried to google up your problem related to the specific software you use? 

As far as I understand the CPU works well until using DaVinciR software, try asking for support with the software developer or checking their forums (if applicable) for a similar case.

EDIT: I know realized your problem is not only with DaVinci Resolve, try contacting AMD support but it may be because fo the overclocking, the R7 and R5 overclocking is a lottery like it used to, you'll have to find the correct voltage ti make it work properly if that's the problem.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Edited by Artechz
Update

Hmmm

Yes you're not getting the performance you should. First thing to try is see if your overclock did something, so try to get bench at stock everything (clear CMOS, that's the easiest way). That would eliminate bad performance coming from CPU / RAM instability. I see you've updated your BIOS to the latest revision but be on the lookout for a newer one.

Also check whether CPU utilization is at 100% while you run Cinebench, a bit of a silly thing but it's better to check anyway.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Hmmm

Yes you're not getting the performance you should. First thing to try is see if your overclock did something, so try to get bench at stock everything (clear CMOS, that's the easiest way). That would eliminate bad performance coming from CPU / RAM instability. I see you've updated your BIOS to the latest revision but be on the lookout for a newer one.

Also check whether CPU utilization is at 100% while you run Cinebench, a bit of a silly thing but it's better to check anyway.

Also make sure in power management in Windows that it is set to high performance. Not balanced or power saver. 

I agree to set everything in bios to default stock settings as stated above. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

First of all make sure you are using the most recent BIOS version for your motherboard.

Secondly, did you do a clean windows install?  If not this is a must, especially if you are coming from an Intel system, since all your drivers will conflict with each other.  Once you've clean installed windows run a windows update, and that should install all necessary drivers, but if things still aren't working it might be worth trying to manually install drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website, and AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website.

Third, like others have said, go into the bios and reset to defaults.  Open task manager and make sure you are seeing all 8 cores 16 threads enabled, and running at stock speeds.  

Other things you can do is change the power plan to High Performance, disable HPET, and make sure your temps are good under load.

Hope this helps.