First Gaming Desktop

So I'm an extremely research intensive person. Before committing to anything, I like to search, look at every small detail and in this case every small sale that is available. But, after a month and a half of planning I have all of my parts ordered! My ultimate goal was to be able to play Mass Effect Andromeda (my all time favorite series) on Medium/High at 60 fps after playing the trilogy on console several times over, and playing Mass Effect 2 on a simple laptop.

At first I was looking at an i5 3570, but got talked out of that when told to get a cheaper FX 83XX. I straddled the line between a G4650 budget build and an FX 8320 budget build. I even found a FX 8320 + Mobo deal for $100 USD. Then I thought about upgradability. With my motherboard, I was chained to DDR3 and AMD 3 had just been abandoned with the new Ryzen release.

That is when I decided to drive 3 hours to the nearest Micro Center and get me deal on the 1500X + Asus PRIME B350-PLUS.

I settled on a Red and Black build, and here are the parts I have ordered!

Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6KyBd6

Ryzen 5 1500X - MICROCENTER NEW $190

Wraith Spire Cooler - New w/ CPU

Asus PRIME B350-PLUS - MICROCENTER New $50

2x4 Corsair Vegeance LPX DDR4-3000 - EBAY USED $55

EVGA GTX 970 - r/HARDWARESWAP USED $115

250GB WD Blue HDD - Pulled from Dell Vostro 220 USED $0

Seasonic M12II 520W - NEWEGG NEW $60

NZXT Black S340 - FRYS NEW $50

2-Pack RGB Corsair SP120 Fans - MICROCENTER NEW $30

Total Build Cost: $550

My plan is to put the Case fans on the front panel and give the windowed case a red glow from the front. Then I am hoping to disassemble the GPU (after testing for a bit) and painting the shroud a deep red. I may look into a back plate that I can also paint. I also would like to get one strip of RGB LED lights to line the left inner window panel to give that side of the case some red lighting. 

Upgrade path is to get an Solid State Drive ASAP. (Right after I move). And if the GPU is overkill, I might downgrade to a RX 470 to lead into the Crossfire possibility in the future. I also am looking into the slight overclocking on the CPU, and definitely if I decide to look into water cooling.

EDITED: Spire Cooler not Stealth

Edited by Marenoc

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

uuughhh the RX 470 actiually beats the 970 in some games, they are about the same preformance lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

uuughhh the RX 470 actiually beats the 970 in some games, they are about the same preformance lol

Interesting. I always considered the RX 480 4GB on par with the 970

FULL CUSTOM WATER COOLED = AMD Ryzen 1700X + AsRock B450 itx/ac + 2x8GB ADATA D10 DDR4 + EVGA GTX 1070 FTW  Integra 450W SFX + Intel 660p 1TB SSD + Modded Fractal Design Node 202

Just now, Marenoc said:

Interesting. I always considered the RX 480 4GB on par with the 970

i did for a while but thats aparently not the case anymore, its closer to the 470 in power but with that said it still kicks 1080p's ass :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Here I am testing my rig before the build. I have just moved cities so I moved my coffee table off the rug and ran everything.

POST ON FIRST TRY!

I then wiped the hard drive clean, installed windows, and everything essential from Ninite.com and also Origin (because Mass Effect).

IMG_4559.JPG

So I ran into some issues that I didn't think about. With four fans and 2 fan connectors, I am only running an intake and an exhaust as of now, but I ordered 2 Red Y Fan connectors so everything can run. At this point in the build its 1:30am and I am just happy everything is wired up and working. 

I can honestly say I AM TERRIBLE AT CABLE MANAGEMENT. The 24 pin connector was truly difficult to get aligned and not sagging ontop of the gpu PCB. The GPU cords are a little lose and unappealing but that is the last thing I installed so maybe next time. But with the upgrades that are soon to come including the fan connectors mentioned previously, SSD, LED Strips, possible panitning GPU shroud, maybe I can take some time to improve the mess of cable. I went to bed as Andromeda was installing.

My next step is making the front LED fan Red and doing my easy RAM overclocking to 2933. I want to play some games before trying out CPU overclocking. I've heard it's easy reaching 3.8-3.9 with the Wraith Spire Cooler so that is also on my list

IMG_4561.JPG

On 2017-4-27 at 1:57 PM, Marenoc said:

So I'm an extremely research intensive person. Before committing to anything, I like to search, look at every small detail and in this case every small sale that is available. But, after a month and a half of planning I have all of my parts ordered! My ultimate goal was to be able to play Mass Effect Andromeda (my all time favorite series) on Medium/High at 60 fps after playing the trilogy on console several times over, and playing Mass Effect 2 on a simple laptop.

At first I was looking at an i5 3570, but got talked out of that when told to get a cheaper FX 83XX. I straddled the line between a G4650 budget build and an FX 8320 budget build. I even found a FX 8320 + Mobo deal for $100 USD. Then I thought about upgradability. With my motherboard, I was chained to DDR3 and AMD 3 had just been abandoned with the new Ryzen release.

That is when I decided to drive 3 hours to the nearest Micro Center and get me deal on the 1500X + Asus PRIME B350-PLUS.

I settled on a Red and Black build, and here are the parts I have ordered!

Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6KyBd6

Ryzen 5 1500X - MICROCENTER NEW $190

Wraith Spire Cooler - New w/ CPU

Asus PRIME B350-PLUS - MICROCENTER New $50

2x4 Corsair Vegeance LPX DDR4-3000 - EBAY USED $55

EVGA GTX 970 - r/HARDWARESWAP USED $115

250GB WD Blue HDD - Pulled from Dell Vostro 220 USED $0

Seasonic M12II 520W - NEWEGG NEW $60

NZXT Black S340 - FRYS NEW $50

2-Pack RGB Corsair SP120 Fans - MICROCENTER NEW $30

Total Build Cost: $550

My plan is to put the Case fans on the front panel and give the windowed case a red glow from the front. Then I am hoping to disassemble the GPU (after testing for a bit) and painting the shroud a deep red. I may look into a back plate that I can also paint. I also would like to get one strip of RGB LED lights to line the left inner window panel to give that side of the case some red lighting. 

Upgrade path is to get an Solid State Drive ASAP. (Right after I move). And if the GPU is overkill, I might downgrade to a RX 470 to lead into the Crossfire possibility in the future. I also am looking into the slight overclocking on the CPU, and definitely if I decide to look into water cooling.

EDITED: Spire Cooler not Stealth

consider getting an ssd as the internal storage, makes a HUGE difference in load times, scince it is your first gaming desktop you don't really need that kind of luxary