Daisy chaining network switches

sotiris.bos
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
8 minutes ago, sotiris.bos said:

My question is if Daisy chaining cheap switches is going to cause problems

and if managed switches can be of benefit.

- no

- no

i wouldnt consider a managed switch until you're gonna do stuff like port teaming or work with VLANs.

Hello! I am trying to sort out my summer home network and need help. I am going to use it to surf the web and maybe stream some media.

My question is if Daisy chaining cheap switches is going to cause problems and if managed switches can be of benefit. I am going to use TP-LINK TL-SG1008D v5 and v6 unmanaged switches or TP-LINK TL-SG108E managed. I already own a TL-SG1008D v5. Cabling is solid core Cat5e and I cannot run multiple cables. Total length is about 60 meters. I included a crude map of my lan. Thank you in advance!

2017-04-26 11.21.30.jpg

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

8 minutes ago, sotiris.bos said:

My question is if Daisy chaining cheap switches is going to cause problems

and if managed switches can be of benefit.

- no

- no

i wouldnt consider a managed switch until you're gonna do stuff like port teaming or work with VLANs.

The only issue you may run into is bottle neck if you do a lot of local file transfers at the same time. Other then that it is not a issue.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

49 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

The only issue you may run into is bottle neck if you do a lot of local file transfers at the same time. Other then that it is not a issue.

bleh, if its gigabit (which, he should totally do everything gigabit), its plenty fast enough if not for some crazy home network storage setup.

32 minutes ago, manikyath said:

bleh, if its gigabit (which, he should totally do everything gigabit), its plenty fast enough if not for some crazy home network storage setup.

what if he didn't mention he has a NAS and a lot of people access it a lot? it is always best to mention the down sides. and it is always best practice to have a single center switch if possible.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc