Computer Science Laptop

I'm a second year Computer Science major and was contemplating buying a MacBook Pro 2015 - current.  As of right now I'm using my Lenovo T420 with an second gen i7 and 8gb of ram and I love this thing.  Although, I also am a macOS user as well and like to keep my notes on macOS software because of the continuity between my devices.  Does anyone have any input for what is just a good overall laptop for current and future use in the Computer Science field?

Thanks

9 minutes ago, joeljimenez103 said:

As of right now I'm using my Lenovo T420 with an second gen i7 and 8gb of ram and I love this thing.

Upgrade it to a quad core. Will keep up for a few more years. Considering most Ivy Bridge quad core QMs are faster than the 6700HQ skylake shit. 

Get a SSD for it.

Upgrade the screen for it if you haven't. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Just now, Pendragon said:

Upgrade it to a quad core. Will keep up for a few more years. Considering most Ivy Bridge quad core QMs are faster than the 6700HQ skylake shit. 

Get a SSD for it.

Upgrade the screen for it if you haven't. 

I thought about upgrading to a quad but I don't think the thermals will work well on it.  I also did put an SSD in it maybe even add mSATA memory.  It's funny how upgrading the screen always comes up for it.

1 hour ago, joeljimenez103 said:

I thought about upgrading to a quad but I don't think the thermals will work well on it.  I also did put an SSD in it maybe even add mSATA memory.  It's funny how upgrading the screen always comes up for it.

Thermals work fine LOL. get some liquid metal + artic/fj pads and you'll be more than fine. Tons of people have done the mod. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

If you love the T420, then you probably won't be a fan of a MacBook's keyboard, accessibility, or durability. I'd suggest a modern ThinkPad if you're gonna upgrade, probably another T series.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to save some money, use your thinkpad until one day it dies on you. Like completely unusable. 

Thinkpad wise I think a lot of people have been saying that their T series is the best. 

However if you do want to buy a mac, 

I think in situation like yours, you should hold on for a few months in order to get the 2nd gen macbook pro. 

Apple will do their refresh late this year or early next year. 

1st gen products still are not as stable and be frankly the a bit too pricy., apple will likely lower their price a little bit from the second gen onwards. 

If you do want to get a macbook pro now, 2015 15inch is the most "bang for the buck" one. And I think it will last you a long time. (quad core i7, 256GB SSD, 16GB of ram) Me personally would avoid the touchbar version, cos I dont see the actual use of it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.