Help! BSODs! Can't boot into Windows

TheNewMasterD

Ok, so I was playing TWW on Friday and all of a sudden I got a BSOD and my computer crashed. Since then it has been stuck in a restart loop with lots of different BSODs, right after I get past the screen where I can go into the BIOS. Examples:

System Thread Exception Not Handled

KMode Exception something

IQRL not found or something

Errors relating to AHCPI.sys, and others.

i tried replacing my RAM with new RAM to no avail. I unplugged my graphics card and all other add ons to no avail. I can't even boot my Windows bootable USB.

System Specs (built in August 2016)

EVGA 650P2

i5-6600k

nVidia 1060 6GB

Previous RAM 2x4 2133 Giel Potenza DDR4

New RAM 2x8 Vengeance 3000 DDR4

Wifi/Bluetooth Chip

ASUS z170-P

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb

Toshiba OCZ SSD 500gb

Any ideas would be very welcome. Don't have a clean Hard Drive, but can order one if necessary.

2 minutes ago, TheNewMasterD said:

Ok, so I was playing TWW on Friday and all of a sudden I got a BSOD and my computer crashed. Since then it has been stuck in a restart loop with lots of different BSODs, right after I get past the screen where I can go into the BIOS. Examples:

System Thread Exception Not Handled

KMode Exception something

IQRL not found or something

Errors relating to AHCPI.sys, and others.

i tried replacing my RAM with new RAM to no avail. I unplugged my graphics card and all other add ons to no avail. I can't even boot my Windows bootable USB.

System Specs (built in August 2016)

EVGA 650P2

i5-6600k

nVidia 1060 6GB

Previous RAM 2x4 2133 Giel Potenza DDR4

New RAM 2x8 Vengeance 3000 DDR4

Wifi/Bluetooth Chip

ASUS z170-P

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb

Toshiba OCZ SSD 500gb

Any ideas would be very welcome. Don't have a clean Hard Drive, but can order one if necessary.

I have an ASUS Z170-P, it's kinda an alright board if you don't overclock, was the CPU overclocked much?

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I have an ASUS Z170-P, it's kinda an alright board is you don't overclock, was the CPU overclocked much?

No, I hadn't done any overclocking at all yet.

No, I hadn't done any overclocking at all yet.

hmm, I would suspect CPU or motherboard still, I get 3 of those errors when overclocking CPUs without enough voltage, but the CPU should run stock, go into the bios and set the voltage to manual for vcore and set it to 1.2V, that should be more than enough for stock clocks. 

Yours faithfully

10 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

hmm, I would suspect CPU or motherboard still, I get 3 of those errors when overclocking CPUs without enough voltage, but the CPU should run stock, go into the bios and set the voltage to manual for vcore and set it to 1.2V, that should be more than enough for stock clocks. 

Tried this...so far no luck. Got a system thread exception error on next restart.

1 minute ago, TheNewMasterD said:

Tried this...so far no luck. Got a system thread exception error on next restart.

that doesn't sound terribly good, I might suspect at this point it's windows, or a motherboard/CPU error, can you borrow an LGA 1151 CPU from a friend to test? If you have access to another PC you can create a windows bootable media and try and repair windows if there is something wrong. If you have windows 10 and recently got the new update that might be the cause.  

Yours faithfully

IQRL Not Less or Equal

Page Fault in Non Paged Area

This is a RAM or driver fault, seeing as how you replaced the RAM, I would assume it's a driver issue most likely, or a motherboard issue relating to RAM, but it isn't usually possible to get into the BIOS with a fault, then again it might only occur when the memory is used a lot, so more than likely driver/windows or motherboard DIMM issues, try the other positions in the board and see will it boot then. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

This is a RAM or driver fault, seeing as how you replaced the RAM, I would assume it's a driver issue most likely, or a motherboard issue relating to RAM, but it isn't usually possible to get into the BIOS with a fault, then again it might only occur when the memory is used a lot, so more than likely driver/windows or motherboard DIMM issues, try the other positions in the board and see will it boot then. 

No luck on the other Ram slots...is there a way to update/wipe drivers if I can't boot into Windows or boot from my Windows bootable USB? Like taking out and putting back in the battery on the motherboard?

No luck on the other Ram slots...is there a way to update/wipe drivers if I can't boot into Windows or boot from my Windows bootable USB? Like taking out and putting back in the battery on the motherboard?

No, that only wipes the CMOS. You would need to boot into safe mode, which would be one of two ways of recovering windows anyways, you need to use a USB media to begin that process, as while on older PC's F8 or Shift F8 would get you into recovery, UEFI and SSD's are simply too fast for that to work, there is a possibility if you attempt to recover the OS you may loose files, should that happen a clean install is recommended if you don't want to try data recovery, this is why back ups are important. 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

No, that only wipes the CMOS. You would need to boot into safe mode, which would be one of two ways of recovering windows anyways, you need to use a USB media to begin that process, as while on older PC's F8 or Shift F8 would get you into recovery, UEFI and SSD's are simply too fast for that to work, there is a possibility if you attempt to recover the OS you may loose files, should that happen a clean install is recommended if you don't want to try data recovery, this is why back ups are important. 

I keep all my important files on a separate drive so no issue there...is it possible to do a clean install when I can't get the USB media going without a BSOD? Can I wipe the hard drive somehow from the BIOS?

1 minute ago, TheNewMasterD said:

I keep all my important files on a separate drive so no issue there...is it possible to do a clean install when I can't get the USB media going without a BSOD? Can I wipe the hard drive somehow from the BIOS?

no, use the boot override to boot into the USB media, if there is still errors then it is a hardware failure most likely to do with the board, contact ASUS if that is the case and start an RMA 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

no, use the boot override to boot into the USB media, if there is still errors then it is a hardware failure most likely to do with the board, contact ASUS if that is the case and start an RMA 

Ok, I will start the RMA process then! Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 8:19 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

Alright, I bought a new motherboard...Gigabyte Gaming 7. I still can't get a POST though...it's hanging on debug code 79...CSM initialization. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, TheNewMasterD said:

Alright, I bought a new motherboard...Gigabyte Gaming 7. I still can't get a POST though...it's hanging on debug code 79...CSM initialization. Any ideas?

Oh, it is Z170 or Z270, but that seems like possibly a memory or power problem, it seems the board wasn't the fault after all, either that or something isn't happy, 

Yours faithfully

Alright, I have replaced RAM, MB, PSU, Heat Sink, and still no POST...has to be the CPU, right?

20 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Oh, it is Z170 or Z270, but that seems like possibly a memory or power problem, it seems the board wasn't the fault after all, either that or something isn't happy, 

Replied but forgot to tag...see above.

1 hour ago, TheNewMasterD said:

Alright, I have replaced RAM, MB, PSU, Heat Sink, and still no POST...has to be the CPU, right?

Well, at this point, I'd say I'd have to be, either that or your PC has a literal troll gremlin that is fucking with us, 

Yours faithfully

ive had this similar thing happen too me... so hang on .. if you change in the bios to boot using uefi support will it boot up? put uefi boot sequence 1st then your drive second.  there could be a boot record corruption. which windows do you have? win 10 should have a gpt boot record and all before that have a master boot record mbr ..  I know this because I had a crash and somehow some magical mystery changed my mbr too a gpt record but I fixed it...  try like a said booting with uefi support and if it does we know the problem.. let me know what you find out.  also try too see if you can get in with safe mode using this method.

do you have another old drive laying around with windows on it any one... basically we will need to get into a command prompt to fix even if its on windows repair boot..

the boot record is a partition in front of the windows drive which tells the ram what to do next in simple terms.

intel just pushed out firmware vulnerability fix.  this could be the issue.

this where good old A drive be nice as you could do a dos boot then reflash the cpu firmware since the update seems to have failed

26 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

intel just pushed out firmware vulnerability fix.  this could be the issue.

this where good old A drive be nice as you could do a dos boot then reflash the cpu firmware since the update seems to have failed

that is for sure I could have used an a: drive to fix mine I had a heck of a time but I got it done...I will be looking through garbage bins for an old floppy drive now lol...