Small scale web server + NAS?

Hey everyone; i've just started delving into server setup and NAS setup. I've recently built a low power server pc for testing deployed applications with elixir, phoenix, node etc. In addition I would like it to have a NAS capability.

Can anyone point me towards a direction re-software? I'm leaning towards Linux due to incompatibility of windows and phoenix deployments and my business partner also uses Linux. Would i need additional software on-top of Linux to deal with the NAS part?

Specs of server are:

Intel G4560

16Gb DDR4 2133 Ram

120gb nvme boot drive

3TB WD Red NAS drive

Thank you =)

Linux is a safe move when it comes to a server OS. I prefer CentOS but any Linux distro will work. You can install Samba on the Linux server and it will allow you to setup network folders for Windows devices and you can setup NFS for Linux devices. You can also setup FTP for full compatibility if that meets your needs also.

-KuJoe

i like debian for its stability and theres a ton of tutorials and a great wiki.

unfortunately debian 9 isnt released yet so instead ill point you towards ubuntu server. its got the debian system but a more modern kernel, commercial backing via Canonical for several years, and its free.

As above CentOS is good and i think they are joining efforts with CERN in europe, but im not up to date with that.

Iv been using debian for years and iv tried all the popular ones. Im only using ubuntu now coz i have a new GPU; debian ages fast. i use debian on my file server.

Basically use a linux distro that has a kernel & release date that matches your hardware.

TLDR the selling point for both of us or anyone who uses linux in their business is stability/reliability, LTS, and solid commercial support for no money down, and your best options are ubuntu server LTS 16.04 or CentOS.

you didnt need to buy a boot drive, you can put any linux on a read-only usb drive; mount it to ram on boot so any malware/ransomware gets magically removed with a reboot. Windows and mac don't have magic powers.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Cheers for the help everyone; Managed to get ubuntu server and samba up last night. Successfully able to connect and mount the drive remotely using ssh also which is neat =)