GTX 980 Ti Thermal Pads

Hello everyone,

I recently got two used NVIDIA GTX 980 Tis, from a friend who had water damage in his PC.

He gave me the cards, both with the water blocks still attached.

He told me, I could try and see if they still work. He also gave me the stock blower-style reference design coolers that came with the card, but the problem is, that the thermal pads are either ripped, dirty or completely missing.

I did some research, but I could not find an exact description of which thickness of thermal pad has to go where, or even which thickness to use at all.

If anyone could help me and tell me, which thermal pads to get, I would be very grateful!

As I am from germany, one supplier here, which at least seems like they have some variety would be Caseking.de: 

Search queries on Caseking lead to the following results:

https://www.caseking.de/en/liquid-cooling/liquid-coolers/processor/thermal-pads

https://www.caseking.de/en/search?sSearch=wärmeleitpads

https://www.caseking.de/en/search?sSearch=thermal+pads

They have a bunch of different thermal pads from EK and some other brands, but I still don't know which thickness to get, to attach the reference design coolers again.

As for paste I would use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, as I still have some. (If you want to recommend any other, feel free to do so!)

Thanks in advance,

Lubi97

Before wasting time and money, make sure they work. Just keep the water blocks on. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

44 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Before wasting time and money, make sure they work. Just keep the water blocks on. 

Won't they overheat?

I don't want to potentially kill them, if they still work.

Also the pads seem pretty cheap. I just need to know, which to get...

7 hours ago, Lubi97 said:

Won't they overheat?

I don't want to potentially kill them, if they still work.

Also the pads seem pretty cheap. I just need to know, which to get...

You're just testing them, don't see how they would over heat. Post and see if they are even recognized and install. 

Pads are the same they've always been, 2.5-3mm. But nvidia uses very soft pads so they give way under pressure. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

You're just testing them, don't see how they would over heat. Post and see if they are even recognized and install. 

Alright, but if they work I still have to get some pads, wuhich is why I wanted a recommendation.

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Pads are the same they've always been, 2.5-3mm. But nvidia uses very soft pads so they give way under pressure. 

The pads offered by EK and the like all seem to be 0,5 - 1,5 mm...

Yea the water block pads are not even close to what nvidia out sources. Which is why you can't use them. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Yea the water block pads are not even close to what nvidia out sources. Which is why you can't use them. 

So, do you know, where I could get those pads? (And maybe some screws that are missing, too?)

No idea where to get the screws. My be able to get tr pads from perfomance pc or frozen pc. 

Could try ebay for a screw set. I know when I order coolers some sellers say to ask them if you need screws, so I imagine they have a source for them or just a lot of extras. 

44 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

No idea where to get the screws. My be able to get tr pads from perfomance pc or frozen pc. 

Could try ebay for a screw set. I know when I order coolers some sellers say to ask them if you need screws, so I imagine they have a source for them or just a lot of extras. 

Ah, thanks, will look into that.

Does anyone else know, where I could get thermal pads, that fit the reference-design coolers of a GTX 980 Ti?

On topic, The pads shouldn't change between the block and ref cooler. I run 2 reference 980ti.

Off topic, why can'y you be in the states? I have been trying to find someone with a reference cooler for ever. I have a reference shroud but need the GPU heat exchanger. I hold you personally responsible for living in Germany xD

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 hours ago, App4that said:

On topic, The pads shouldn't change between the block and ref cooler. I run 2 reference 980ti.

So, what thickness do you think is appropriate?

https://www.caseking.de/en/search?sSearch=wärmeleitpads

https://www.caseking.de/en/search?sSearch=thermal+pads

Off topic, why can'y you be in the states? I have been trying to find someone with a reference cooler for ever. I have a reference shroud but need the GPU heat exchanger.

So you are missing the metal part, that distributes the heat, so it can be transfered away, by the fans?

I hold you personally responsible for living in Germany xD

Haha :D Sorry!

Well, you have cheaper tech... But then again... Healthcare :|

Call EVGA tech support. Ask them the thickness of the thermal pads on the hybrid cooler kit, that should get you the right pad thickness.

Yeah, bought a used SC with a Hybrid kit already on it and the seller said two coolers, but only sent the shroud for the reference... Hens teeth to find just the heatsink. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Call EVGA tech support. Ask them the thickness of the thermal pads on the hybrid cooler kit, that should get you the right pad thickness.

Thanks! Will do that!

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Yeah, bought a used SC with a Hybrid kit already on it and the seller said two coolers, but only sent the shroud for the reference... Hens teeth to find just the heatsink. 

Ah, that's unfortunate... Did you contact him again?

Just now, Lubi97 said:

Ah, that's unfortunate... Did you contact him again?

Nah, he's a student like me and I know the stress levels. Card itself is awesome so I took the win. Probably never use the reference cooler, but I'm a odd duck and have a thing about having back-up. 

Also make sure you run the latest drivers. Drivers for the 980ti were kinda crap for months, but since 378 they have been great. I gained 20fps with my minimums with 378. 378.78 and the latest stand out as the best. 

Just now, App4that said:

Nah, he's a student like me and I know the stress levels. Card itself is awesome so I took the win. Probably never use the reference cooler, but I'm a odd duck and have a thing about having back-up. 

Ah, ok.

Just now, App4that said:

Also make sure you run the latest drivers. Drivers for the 980ti were kinda crap for months, but since 378 they have been great. I gained 20fps with my minimums with 378. 378.78 and the latest stand out as the best. 

If they work, I'll make sure. What do you think about trying to post witht the water blocks still attached? If I only go into BIOS it really should be ok, right? Wouldn't make sense to get screws and pads if they are fried anyway.

Yeah you'll be fine. I wouldn't go web brousing but most the time a dead card won't post or if it posts won't provide the monitor with anything. But I'm kinda bad about stuff like that, I post CPU's with no coolers to check them LOL

2 hours ago, App4that said:

Yeah you'll be fine. I wouldn't go web brousing but most the time a dead card won't post or if it posts won't provide the monitor with anything. But I'm kinda bad about stuff like that, I post CPU's with no coolers to check them LOL

Alright, thanks for the confirmation!

(That second part worries me just a little... :D)