what's the best used gpu i can get for the cost of a new entry level card?

J.Munslow

RTcently completed an upgrade that left me with spare ram, cpu and mobo. i was thinking of building a pc for a relative but would need to source a gpu as the cpu to be used has no integrated graphics. im going for a micro atx build so the card would have to be small but i was wandering if there were any particularly good value used cards out there that i should be looking for instead of buying a new entry level card (we all know the opinions of those on this forum!) the pc would only rarely be used for gaming but i still want to get some good 'bang for buck'

-thanks

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

3 minutes ago, J.Munslow said:

RTcently completed an upgrade that left me with spare ram, cpu and mobo. i was thinking of building a pc for a relative but would need to source a gpu as the cpu to be used has no integrated graphics. im going for a micro atx build so the card would have to be small but i was wandering if there were any particularly good value used cards out there that i should be looking for instead of buying a new entry level card (we all know the opinions of those on this forum!) the pc would only rarely be used for gaming but i still want to get some good 'bang for buck'

-thanks

i suppose it's worth mentioning that the pc will be using an X4 880K

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

3 minutes ago, J.Munslow said:

-thanks

I know you're asking for a used card, but it sounds like the card you want is a Radeon RX460, which is a newer card. It's right in the $120 range, and has very good perf for the price, on top of excellent power/heat management. If you're positive you want to go the used route, I might check up on how far the price of the GTX960 has fallen.

A good condition gtx 770 would be good. I just upgraded around chistmas to the 1070 x from msi. Amazing power but it's expensive. I had the gigabyte 4gb gtx770 and it was perfect for anything in 1080p and even a fair amount of 4k. If I didn't have a 4k 50 inch display I would not have upgraded. I still need to throw my old card on ebay,  worth probably 150 or so now. Was a 400 dollar card. BTW 770 is about the same performance as an Nvidia gtx 960 give or take few percent.

Well the rx 560 seems like a nice choice when it launches in may . 

But in term of used cards , you're better off looking at used hd 7900 series cards ( 7970, 7950 ) or r9 290 series cards ( 290 , 290x)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i think for a card that will be used mostly as a video output only, buying a new release card is too high of an investment, looking around at used rx 460s thoough, they do offer good value 

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

BeQuiet Silent Base 800