Recovering data form virus infested hard drive

Kurt101
Go to solution Solved by dnf,

boot into a live linux distro with good antivirus. kasperky has a pretty good solution https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk. Try to use the shittiest pc you have, incase of acidental boot into windows.

A relative has asked me to retrieve data from his/hers computer. I am more then happy to help, however i am concerned that the my computer may get infected as i know his/hers hard drive is teeming with viruses. And the only way i can retrieve any data is by inserting his/hers hard drive into my computer. What would be the best way to retrieve the data, without the risk of viruses? Kind regards (btw, his/hers computer is dead).

im no expert but doing it in safe mode should be fine? Maybe :P

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

Just now, dnf said:

boot into a live linux distro with good antivirus. kasperky has a pretty good solution https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk. Try to use the shittiest pc you have, incase of acidental boot into windows.

I only have 1 computer, i suppose i am going to need to be very careful. Thanks for the information. Kind regards

Depending on what kind of data we are talking about, you could just mount that disk into your computer, and disconnect your own current drive. No chance of contamination. Then try to boot from that disk, or do a fresh installation of windows. Depending on the data you need to recover, you might want to install it as a second OS. After that you could just grab the data/use virus scanners/whatever is needed. But you should be safe from all them virusses.

Thanks for the advise, you are right saying that i should just remove my own hard drives from my computer. I am just looking for the less stressful way; trust me when i say my relatives hard drive is teeming with viruses (he/she has now idea how to use a computer, constantly browses virus infested websites and has never had a antivirus installed).