What Part Of My System Should I Upgrade?

My Specs:

CPU: i5-4690k OC @4.2GHz 

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

HDD: Toshiba 1TB DT01A something

Ram: 12gb 1600mhz

GPU: Asus Gtx 1070 

PSU: corsair cs650m

I was wondering what part of my system I should upgrade next that will help my performance in games. I'm really feeling like im often not getting the performance I'd like to be getting with the GPU and CPU I have. I was thinking to either buy a SSD next to improve load times on games and windows OS, although I'm not sure if it will really help my FPS in games that much. The second thing I was looking at was getting new and faster RAM although this as well not sure how much it could potentially help my FPS in games. I was considering also a new power supply on the off chance somehow my components weren't getting enough or efficient power that could maybe be hindering there performance. 

Any feedback is appreciated and if you link anything that you think I should consider I use Canadian pricing.

Thanks

That i5 to a R5 1600 would be nice and 6c/12t will suit you well for the future. Or an R7 1700 if that's within budget.

Your issue won't be the 1070 obviously assuming that upgrade was much more recent.

EDIT: Derp just saw there is no SSD in that system! This should absolutely be the 1st upgrade. No SSD in 2017?! brb i'll get my crucifix. (when i say SSD i mean every day use and boot speed)

What games are you playing 

what resolution 

and what fps do you currently get ? 

Psu isn't great but they either work or don't work there no half and half 

ram you you should be fine maby a few fps if u got some 2400mhz but nothing to right home about

ssd won't do anything and you have a mid/high end card 

cpu depends what ur playing 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

That i5 to a R5 1600 would be nice and 6c/12t will suit you well for the future. Or an R7 1700 if that's within budget.

I've been for a while trying to figure out what is wrong with my system considering i get noticeable stuttering in some games and generally not the FPS I feel like I should be getting also to note I bought my system pre-built years ago and I still have not upgraded the RAM or the HDD from that original system so.

1 minute ago, rpalmz46 said:

I've been for a while trying to figure out what is wrong with my system considering i get noticeable stuttering in some games and generally not the FPS I feel like I should be getting also to note I bought my system pre-built years ago and I still have not upgraded the RAM or the HDD from that original system so.

Use monitoring software. This kind of stutter will likely be a maxed out cpu.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Your issue won't be the 1070 obviously assuming that upgrade was much more recent.

What I was gona surgest cpu wise too :P 

also (1600) 

1 minute ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

What games are you playing 

what resolution 

and what fps do you currently get ? 

Psu isn't great but they either work or don't work there no half and half 

ram you you should be fine maby a few fps if u got some 2400mhz but nothing to right home about

ssd won't do anything and you have a mid/high end card 

cpu depends what ur playing 

For example lately I've been gaming Ghost Recon Wildlands, Witcher 3, World Of Warcraft even. I run everything at 1080p. I can run the witcher 3 at all ultra with hairworks and that stuff on and i get mad fps drops every time I go into a dialogue scene and just at random times while travelling. Ghost Recon Wildlands I can't even run at hardly high i get like 35-50 FPS MAX lowering all graphics to low doesn't help my fps go up or down whatsoever so I'm unsure what is happening tbh. 

2 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Stuttering is from cpu running at full load 

also (1600) 

2 things that people will and have disagree/d with but are proven to be true....... one, an ssd will make things faster and they do give games more fps. I did this and noticed it and another poster in a thread here actually confirmed that with a link from an established site.

two, an i5 is falling behind because of it's limits......... 4cores. that's been proven too.

would I spend money on your system...... debatable.

1tb ssd and leave the platter drive behind would be my first upgrade.

For example lately I've been gaming Ghost Recon Wildlands, Witcher 3, World Of Warcraft even. I run everything at 1080p. I can run the witcher 3 at all ultra with hairworks and that stuff on and i get mad fps drops every time I go into a dialogue scene and just at random times while travelling. Ghost Recon Wildlands I can't even run at hardly high i get like 35-50 FPS MAX lowering all graphics to low doesn't help my fps go up or down whatsoever so I'm unsure what is happening tbh. 

Fresh install of windows and then gpu drivers may help if you have been running the system for ages 

wild lands is definatly a CPU pusher just look at all the things there are to render all of the time 

get Msi afterburner and monitor your usage on gpu and CPU 

also have you overclocked ur i5 

also (1600) 

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

It's like there is an echo in here ;) 

There were no comments when I started typing and everyone I finished u had already posted what I was typing 

also (1600) 

SSD is never a bad choice if you don't already own one :) 

10 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

I was considering also a new power supply on the off chance somehow my components weren't getting enough or efficient power that could maybe be hindering there performance. 

Your PSU quality wise is perfectly acceptable. Its at the point where I'd feel fine running a 1080ti and a 10 core Broadwell-e off it (assuming it has enough wattage capacity to supply em). 

8 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I'd actually probably recommend a 4770K/4790K here as ryzen would require new RAM, new motherboard and potentially a new cooler so... :P 

1 minute ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Reading OP sometimes works wonders ;) 

14 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

CPU: i5-4690k OC @4.2GHz 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, jjohnthedon1 said:

Fresh install of windows and then gpu drivers may help if you have been running the system for ages 

wild lands is definatly a CPU pusher just look at all the things there are to render all of the time 

get Msi afterburner and monitor your usage on gpu and CPU 

Yes I have from 3.5 to 4.2 Ghz , I do actually have MSI setup and playing witcher 3 right now while monitoring and my CPU load is at about lowest 80% but generally around 95% and running around Novigrad which is a reasonably demanding area in the game getting like 42fps at the moment. Usually get 60 in most places with semi fps drops all though to note i get constant 80fps without hairworks on.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

SSD is never a bad choice if you don't already own one :) 

Your PSU quality wise is perfectly acceptable. Its at the point where I'd feel fine running a 1080ti and a 10 core Broadwell-e off it (assuming it has enough wattage capacity to supply em). 

I'd actually probably recommend a 4770K/4790K here as ryzen would require new RAM, new motherboard and potentially a new cooler so... :P 

Reading OP sometimes works wonders ;) 

How much of a performance increase would a ryzen 1600 or 1700 give over my current CPU because I mean if i have to buy a new CPU I will, might take me a little bit to save up for it but. I dont know how accurate this even is but looking on a page that compares the CPU its apparently only a 6% upgrade is that even worth it? http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/2432vs3920

Yes I have from 3.5 to 4.2 Ghz , I do actually have MSI setup and playing witcher 3 right now while monitoring and my CPU load is at about lowest 80% but generally around 95% and running around Novigrad which is a reasonably demanding area in the game getting like 42fps at the moment. Usually get 60 in most places with semi fps drops all though to note i get constant 80fps without hairworks on.

And what's ur gpu runnin at load wise when ur CPU is at 95 percent ? 

Try wildlands 

turn off hbao to ssao

turf effects off

terain quality to high

and godrays to on instead of enhanced 

as to smaa 

and report back with ur loads on CPU and gpu 

also (1600) 

Well i guess i didnt really look at the highly improved multi core speed on that benchmark.....

Try wildlands 

turn off hbao to ssao

turf effects off

terain quality to high

as to smaa 

Well currently on the witcher 3 with a 85% load my gpu is only at about 43% so its clearly being underutilized I'd have to imagine I will try wildlands now. 

Just now, rpalmz46 said:

Well currently on the witcher 3 with a 85% load my gpu is only at about 43% so its clearly being underutilized I'd have to imagine I will try wildlands now. 

That sir is a CPU bottleneck 

also (1600) 

That sir is a CPU bottleneck 

Damn I was really hoping it wasn't that tbh because CPU annoying as hell to upgrade since I gotta get a new Motherboard as well and i only really bought this one a year or two ago for like 600 Canadian dollars god our pricing is brutal. That was also with the motherboard but still.

6 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

How much of a performance increase would a ryzen 1600 or 1700 give over my current CPU because I mean if i have to buy a new CPU I will, might take me a little bit to save up for it but. I dont know how accurate this even is but looking on a page that compares the CPU its apparently only a 6% upgrade is that even worth it? http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/2432vs3920

Have a look at the multicore score...it's double on the 1600X :P 

Also at stock, they core equally in terms of single core/thread so you're not actually sacrificing IPC for more cores either. 

Damn I was really hoping it wasn't that tbh because CPU annoying as hell to upgrade since I gotta get a new Motherboard as well and i only really bought this one a year or two ago for like 600 Canadian dollars god our pricing is brutal. That was also with the motherboard but still.

4770/4790K? I'm sure you'd find a cheaper one used...

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Also at stock, they core equally in terms of single core/thread so you're not actually sacrificing IPC for more cores either. 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Have a look at the multicore score...it's double on the 1600X :P 

4770/4790K? I'm sure you'd fine a cheaper one used...

Yeah a 4790k for just the cpu for me is 518$https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA4Y52Z2927&cm_re=4790k-_-19-117-369-_-Product and a Ryzen 5 1600x is https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113434&cm_re=ryzen_5-_-19-113-434-_-Product. Im also quite wary about buying used products since I've never really done it much and was always under the impression its quite easy to get ripped off.

Fair enough, in that case a 1600X is a much much better buy. Even with a new motherboard and RAM...

Im also quite wary about buying used products since I've never really done it much and was always under the impression its quite easy to get ripped off.

Don't blame yah, buying new is always a better idea in terms of safeness but hey, you are missing out of price to perf :P 

12 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Try wildlands 

turn off hbao to ssao

turf effects off

terain quality to high

as to smaa 

Im beginning to think my CPU is severely hindering my gpu's performance. Got almost a constant 95% AT LEAST usage on CPU in wildlands with you're recommended settings its actually usually at 100% though. and GPU is sitting near 65% min to 75% usage maximum so it appears as though the answer may finally be here to improve my systems performance.