Ethernet no IP configuration

Sujalama
Go to solution Solved by Sujalama,

Ok. Today my additional 2 SP120 RGBs and the NZXT Grid+ V2 arrived so I shut down the PC, installed the fans and the Grid, turned on the PC and.... My internet works. WTF I have no idea why suddenly my internet works again. I hope it stays like that and doesn't decide to randomly not work again.

Thank you for taking so much time to help me fix the issue. I learned some nice troubleshooting steps through this but I hope I will never experience this issue again.

Can somebody please give @LegionOfOne a cookie for me? Thanks a lot man.

I'm on Win10.

Okay so I just finished transplanting all my hardware from my old case into my 570X. I started windows and I can't get an Internet connection. The green light at the back is on and the orange light is Blinking. Windows detects that an Ethernet cable is plugged in (Removing it makes windows show "Ethernet cable was removed"). I already tried using another cable but that didn't work. WLAN works and LAN works on 2 other PCs.
Windows automatically sets the Ethernet connection to a public network but I have no internet access.

What can I do to try and fix the issue?
Knowing my luck I probably killed the onboard network adapter somehow. I all else fails I'll buy a cheap 10-20 € Network card...

Plug in your ethernet card when everything apears "connected" open cmd prompt and run:

ipconfig /all

Then post your results. 

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

Sorry im on the Phone. I hope a picture is ok. If you need a Translation let me Know. Ja=Yes Nein=no Aktiviert=activated

1492534042743-1280721799.jpg

In your browser can your access your router config through 169.254.248.0 or 169.254.248.1.

Also, run the same on another working PC and verify that the Subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 i believe that should be 255.255.255.0

Can you verify that the ipv4 setting in your NIC properties are all set to auto configure?

I can't acces the router config. Normally I'd access it through 192.168.0.1
This (working) PC has a 255.255.255.0 Subnetmask and IPv4: 192.168.0.100

Do you mean these settings? If yes then yeah. They are set to auto.
Should I manually set the subnetmask to 255.255.255.0 and the ip to something like 192.168.0.3 ?

Oh yeah, deafult gateway on the working PC is fe80::925c:44ff:feaf:5431%6 and 192.168.0.1 (The Routers IP)

ad.png

Set the IP to 192.168.0.50 and the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and see if you can connect. 

Also set your dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to eliminate any issues there. Let me know :-)

Did that but nothing happened. Unplugged the cable and then plugged it back in but still nothing.

What do the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS servers do?
On the working PC the DNS is set to:  192.168.0.1 according to ipconfig /all

I clicked the little checkmark in the bottom to test the settings upon closing. The error message now changed to "The default gateway is not available". What should I set the default gateway to?

Just now, Sujalama said:

Did that but nothing happened. Unplugged the cable and then plugged it back in but still nothing.

What do the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS servers do?
On the working PC the DNS is set to:  192.168.0.1 according to ipconfig /all

Try leaving your dns to auto and try it again. After you set it up and apply disable and re-enable the NIC. setting 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 sets your dns to googles DNS servers. The DNS is essentially what allows your computer to translate domain names into IP address destinations.

3 minutes ago, LegionOfOne said:

Try leaving your dns to auto and try it again. After you set it up and apply disable and re-enable the NIC. setting 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 sets your dns to googles DNS servers. The DNS is essentially what allows your computer to translate domain names into IP address destinations.

Windows doesn't allow me to set the DNS to auto when manually configuring the IP.
Take a look at my edit in the post above yours, maybe it's helpful.

How would I got about disabling and reenabling it? Just right click on ethernet -> Disable? Or do you want me to disable the whole controller?

Just now, Sujalama said:

Windows doesn't allow me to set the DNS to auto when manually configuring the IP.
Take a look at my edit in the post above yours, maybe it's helpful.

It is! Sorry i must not have finished reading use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and set your default gateway to 192.168.0.1

1 minute ago, LegionOfOne said:

It is! Sorry i must not have finished reading use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and set your default gateway to 192.168.0.1

Already tried that. I configured it as the default gateway when I originally followed your guidelines to manually set the IP and DNS.

Are you connecting to a server somewhere down the line or perhaps were you previously setup on a managed network? the 169.254.xxx.xxx suggests that your machine was setup with APIPA for a private IP

3 minutes ago, LegionOfOne said:

Are you connecting to a server somewhere down the line or perhaps were you previously setup on a managed network? the 169.254.xxx.xxx suggests that your machine was setup with APIPA for a private IP

I have no idea. The ethernet cable is plugged in directly into the router.
When I first set it up I just plugged the router in, plugged the devices in and everything worked. I did no special configuration or setup. Just plug and play (except for Router firmware updates).

I don't even know what APIPA is. I only have basic knowledge of IPs and subnetting lol

Try this next:

open your command prompt by right clicking on it and selecting open as administrator. Type in the following commands:

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Then restart the computer (by clicking "Restart" in the start menu options, this is important) and let me know if that changed anything for you :-)

Edited by LegionOfOne
clarification & accuracy

Just now, LegionOfOne said:

Try this next, open your command prompt and type in the following:

netch int ipv4 reset reset.log

Then restart the computer and let me know if that changed anything for you :-)

Make sure you do this as an admin.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Just now, MrImnotMLG said:

Make sure you do this as an admin.

That's actually funny :-p as you responded I was making an edit to the post haha

1 minute ago, LegionOfOne said:

That's actually funny :-p as you responded I was making an edit to the post haha

I'm having the same problem so I'm doing this along with you guys. It was all fine until the update yesterday.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

It works for me now.

Wonderful! There was a goofed update with win10 that was causing some weird issues. Glad that resolved it for you :-)

@Sujalama I will keep an eye out for a response from you, let me know if that helped resolve your issue. When you reboot make sure you literally choose the "Restart" option, that is an important step (says Microsoft). When you are loaded back into windows ensure that your ipv4 setting are all set to auto again, if they are not set then to auto then disable and enable again the NIC.

9 minutes ago, LegionOfOne said:

When running command prompt make sure you right click and select run as administrator.

Try this next, open your command prompt and type in the following:

netch int ipv4 reset reset.log

Then restart the computer and let me know if that changed anything for you :-)

You meant "netsh" for the 2nd one right?
It reset a bunch of stuff. Restarted the PC and... nothing changed. Gonna try it again as an admin, maybe I didnt run the cmd as an Admin before.

Oh I have to set the ipv4 config back to auto right? Because when I checked to see after the restart it was set to manual but completely empty.

Edit: You replied right when I wrote this reply. Be right back.

Just now, Sujalama said:

You meant "netsh" for the 2nd one right?
It reset a bunch of stuff. Restarted the PC and... nothing changed. Gonna try it again as an admin, maybe I didnt run the cmd as an Admin before.

Oh I have to set the ipv4 config back to auto right? Because when I checked to see after the restart it was set to manual but completely empty.

Correct yes, I will edit the post. Yes set everything to auto and be sure to run the commands after selecting administrator on the command prompt.

12 minutes ago, MrImnotMLG said:

I'm having the same problem so I'm doing this along with you guys. It was all fine until the update yesterday.

Do you mean the update where windows annoyed you with a pop up "Yeah new features blahblah!" and after the update it gave you the creepy "Hello. We are now configuring your windows update" text? I knew that update was bad news lol....

But no, that didn't fix it for me. Ran CMD as an Admin, the 2nd command resetted a bunch of things. I made sure that the ipv4 stuff was set back to auto before resetting everything.

Just now, LegionOfOne said:

And you did a restart after that correct?

Correct. I pressed the windows logo, then the power button and "Restart".