Do lower-end subwoofers make sense?

Majestic

Lots of conflicting opinions about this. I was looking for something to supplement the A5+ speakers in the lower-end a bit when it's having trouble hitting lower bassguitar notes. But I don't need some 500W roomshaker.

The idea was to get a smaller-ish, closed or with passive radiator, musical subwoofer that can match the A5+ speakers in output volume (100W RMS) with the most important aspect being a fast and tight response hence the choice of it not being a ported woofer. I have no desire to get some loud, flabby boombox. 

There are a lot of brands and a lot of choice, narrowing down the search would help. Aswell as getting some opinions about sub $500 units even making sense, or if it's better to just save up for something decent even if it's overpowered.

AudioEngine has an offering itself, with the S8. But from what i've read it's overpriced and flabby (ported).

you can DIY a pretty good subwoofer for 500$, none DIY I think the SVS PB 1000 and SVS SB 1000 are among the best options in this budget. Used is also a very good option.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@Dackzy Don't really have the hardware to DIY such a cabinet. Those SVS models look rather US-only.

How would that SVS SB 1000 stack up to, say,  a used B&W AWS610? Got a few secondhand models on the website for around 400-420. The SB1000 retails for 550 in NL.

Just now, Majestic said:

@Dackzy Don't really have the hardware to DIY such a cabinet. Those SVS models look rather US-only.

How would that SVS SB 1000 stack up to, say,  a used B&W AWS610? Got a few secondhand models on the website for around 400-420. The SB1000 retails for 550 in NL.

They are in other countries than the US, but they might be a bit hard to find.

I am actually not sure how they compare to the B&W AWS610, I have heard both but it is some time ago and not at the same time. The B&W AWS610 seems to be a pretty decent sub for that money

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

The B&W AWS610 seems to be a pretty decent sub for that money

Can also find a PB1000 for 400, nobody selling a SB1000 sadly. Would they be quick enough for music you rekon? Or would you also prefer a sealed cabinet for music.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Can also find a PB1000 for 400, nobody selling a SB1000 sadly. Would they be quick enough for music you rekon? Or would you also prefer a sealed cabinet for music.

I personally didn't notice the PB1k being too slow for music. The SB1k is tighter and faster, but it also doesn't go as low. I would recommend that you ask the seller if you can try it, that way you can see if it is fast enough for you.