Broken Volume Knob

Destius

I have an old(10years old) stereo sound system and the volume does not increase or decrease when i turn the knob around and i know the speakers are producing sound since i can barely hear it

what could be the fault of this?the knob turns normally and smoothly without presenting any problems

how can i repair this/?

maybe the potentiometer is broken, just not in the way you can feel when you turn it

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

It does not sound like potentiometer problem. Maybe one of the MOSFETs is broken or million other things. If there are no visibly broken parts inside, I would give it to electrician to take a look at it.  

theres so many things it could be depending on how the system works. it could be the knob just isnt attached. could be problem with potentiometer could be power related could just be a bad conection somewhere.

47 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

theres so many things it could be depending on how the system works. it could be the knob just isnt attached. could be problem with potentiometer could be power related could just be a bad conection somewhere.

i have taken a look inside and the part where the knob was connected to seemed loose and there were tiny pins(4-5) that were kind of off in the other side

is this something i can repair myself?

also i looked it up in  a video and it seems that the entire mechanism can be opened to reveal the wheel that spins when i turn the knob and is bumping on pins

in my case  i couldnt reveal that cause the mechanism was like held in one piece by some metal hugging it from 2 sides

should i attempt to open that and see if i can find anything?