Case recommendations

arealsnek

Helloo.I've been looking to buy a new case for my computer ( GTX 1070, I7 4790, ASUS H81M-K, 1TB Seagate HDD, 8GB Ram )since I am running an old case, that doesn't have any fan support whatsoever, which results in higher temperatures and noise.

What I need : 

-Middle-Tower

-Support for ATX/mATX motherboards

-Prefferably an elegant design

-Nice cooling and fan support

-Solid build

-I really want some plexiglass/tempered glass window.

-GOOD Wire-Management. 

Budget : ~70 Euros, ( ~300 RON ). - I can probably go higher than that so don't hesitate to suggest more expensive models.

You can see exact prices in RON at : http://www.pcgarage.ro/carcase/ or other sites such as altex.ro, emag.ro, evomag.ro.

What I have found so far : Segotep SG-K5 ( china brand so i'm not sure about quality ), Deepcool Kendomen RD, Zalman Z3 Plus, S340 and Phanteks Eclipse P400 ( which, right now, is both out of stock for the black-white variant and also pricey )

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Phanteks P400 (S) (You could also choose the tempered glass version)

NZXT S340 (You could also choose the tempered glass verion)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

@RadiatingLight @19_blackie_73 @HunterSkater429 I love the Phanteks P400 ( the tempered glass version is just straight out awesome ) but i'm not sure since it's pricey at the moment. The S340 seems to be a nice choice but doesn't have the best cooling ( what i heard? ) and the tempered glass version is definitely out of the budget.

1 hour ago, arealsnek said:

@RadiatingLight @19_blackie_73 @HunterSkater429 I love the Phanteks P400 ( the tempered glass version is just straight out awesome ) but i'm not sure since it's pricey at the moment. The S340 seems to be a nice choice but doesn't have the best cooling ( what i heard? ) and the tempered glass version is definitely out of the budget.

i have the s340 and my temps are all perfectly fine, my cpu and gpu are both overclocked and i use all air cooling 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

@19_blackie_73 what would you recommand between the Corsair 270R, Thermaltake and MasterBox 5?

@HunterSkater429 What GPU and CPU do you have if i may ask? And what kind of temperatures are you experiencing? The biggest reason i want to upgrade the case is to lower the temps. ( My gpu gets to about 70 degrees very fast and the cpu is usually over 70 in high loads )

Oh and how many fans do you have installed in your case?

@HunterSkater429 What GPU and CPU do you have if i may ask? And what kind of temperatures are you experiencing? The biggest reason i want to upgrade the case is to lower the temps. ( My gpu gets to about 70 degrees very fast and the cpu is usually over 70 in high loads )

Oh and how many fans do you have installed in your case?

i have an  i7 4790k @4.7Ghz and a 390x,

cpu runs at 80c on load and my gpu gets to 80-85c,

the reason is becase i overcooked them, you can always just just a better air cooler or a GPU with a lower TDP, my GPU runs hot even on a text bench so thats not becase of the case

and i have i have 5 case fans only becase they are all RGB or id only be using 3 on it

what case do you have right now? 

and your temps are really good if i say so if its under load at those temps 

11 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

p400 or s340 are worth the extra IMO

9 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

@19_blackie_73 what would you recommand between the Corsair 270R, Thermaltake and MasterBox 5?

i would probably go with the masterbox 5 but that's my personal taste, all of them should do a good job holding your components and providing enough airflow.

May I ask which model of the 1070 you have?

EDIT: BTW 70s under load are not that bad for that hardware.

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

@HunterSkater429  I don't know the brand.It's some old one with 0 fan support and gets dusty really quick.

Well the temperatures aren't "bad" but, with a proper case, and proper airflow i would be getting better temperatures, and it wouldn't be so noisy.

I guess it would be a good option then. :D

@19_blackie_73 I have the ASUS GTX 1070 DUAL.

Yes, it's not that hot, but at 70 degrees my gpu fans are at 70% which is relatively loud and it could be better.And the CPU is too hot for my liking.It even went up to 75 or higher on battlefield 1 if i remember correctly.

@HunterSkater429  I don't know the brand.It's some old one with 0 fan support and gets dusty really quick.

Well the temperatures aren't "bad" but, with a proper case, and proper airflow i would be getting better temperatures, and it wouldn't be so noisy.

I guess it would be a good option then. :D

wow really with a case like you describe you get 70c only, that makes me think anycase will improve your temps 

but no matter what your going to get highish temps on load with any CPU and GPU even with good cooling unless you go liquid or giant noctua cooler 

2 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

@19_blackie_73 I have the ASUS GTX 1070 DUAL.

Yes, it's not that hot, but at 70 degrees my gpu fans are at 70% which is relatively loud and it could be better.And the CPU is too hot for my liking.It even went up to 75 or higher on battlefield 1 if i remember correctly.

what for a cooler on the cpu?

- Ryzen Build -

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

2x Dell UP2516D

@HunterSkater429 Yes haha, it most definitely will improve the temperatures at least a little bit.I have 0 airflow and after a few minutes at ~70 degrees the gpu and cpu just reuse the same hot air in the case.

@19_blackie_73 stock cooler sorry

@HunterSkater429 Yes haha, it most definitely will improve the temperatures at least a little bit.I have 0 airflow and after a few minutes at ~70 degrees the gpu and cpu just reuse the same hot air in the case.

you can set a fan curve on your GPU and see if that helps 

@HunterSkater429 I could but my point is that i wouldn't really want to go over 70% fan speed.

yeah get a new case then, i really like the s340 but there are so many to pick from its hard 

@HunterSkater429 It's a nice case ( especially the tempered glass one ) but yes, it's hard to choose from so many models :D

if i had to make a short list id do

s340

masterbox 5

versa H34 

I would recommend the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5. Excellent airflow for a case, which is very important for any kind of cooling solution, whether that is water or air, or a combination.

A lot of cases out on the market today I feel are poorly engineered regarding airflow, despite the good design language I see out there. I would recommend a Caselabs Bullet BH7, but I don't know if the USD $300 price tag is worth it to you, yet it is extremely well built, can be disassembled completely using a screwdriver (since the case is attached with screws), and is lightweight because it's made out of aluminum (and high-grade aluminum at that)

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

The MasterCase Pro 5 is too expensive :( and I can't find the Caselabs Bullet BH7 in our stores.

What do you think about the other mentioned cases that are withing my budget like the S340, Segotep SG-K5, Versa H34, masterbox5,Deepcool Kendomen, Pantheks Eclipse P400(maybe, it's pricey at the moment) or other models?

@JurunceNK

I also would like some advice. I would like to try to use a gpu cooler on the backside of my mobo. what reasonably priced cases have alot of cable management room? my apevia xdreamer4 is a lottle tight back there

23 minutes ago, arealsnek said:

The MasterCase Pro 5 is too expensive :( and I can't find the Caselabs Bullet BH7 in our stores.

What do you think about the other mentioned cases that are withing my budget like the S340, Segotep SG-K5, Versa H34, masterbox5,Deepcool Kendomen, Pantheks Eclipse P400(maybe, it's pricey at the moment) or other models?

@JurunceNK

The Cooler Master MasterBox 5 is not a bad case at all. As long as there's excellent airflow (as I said, very important), it's not a terrible case at all. The Phanteks Eclipse P400 doesn't look like it has good airflow from the onset.

If you're going to install an AIO liquid cooler, you have a 280mm radiator support at the front, and for air cooling, you have up to a 167mm height clearance, so something like a Noctua NH-D15S, according to PCPartPicker, will fit.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Corsair Vengeance C70, all steel, powder finish that's resistant to fingerprints, and about 9 fan mounts.

Edit: just had a look at the price, it's a case that came out in 2012 and it's more expensive now, sheesh

@arealsnek

Check out Fractals line of cases, avoiding anything with a "basement/psu shroud"  if possible, not a good idea in terms of thermals.

Within your budget a Fractal Define R5 would probably work well for you, and it has a ton of sound deadening material, not to mention the dust filters..

It has dust filters in the front and all along the bottom. 

For Reference

My Current Build is 
Fractal Define R5
6700k @ 4.3Ghz w/Noctua NH-D15

Strix GTX1080 @2Ghz Powr limit @120% w/2x Noctua 140mm Fans as Cooling. 

I'm Running 2x140mm fans in the front  of the case, 1x140mm as a side intake, and 1x140mm fan as an exhaust out the back. 

The top vents are covered up, and thermal results after a 20 minute AIda64+Furmark are as follows

GPU Peaked at 61C

CPU Peaked at 65C 

Finally all fan speeds were in 600-1000rpm range, and hardly any noticeable noise.