Any hope for my CPU?

KieranFretwell

Okay so I was casually playing a game when my PC shut off, I took everything out of my case and tried to start my computer with only the CPU, 1 stick of ram and the cooler installed.  The power buttons on my motherboard would light up but my computer would not turn on. 

So I got out my old motherboard and put the same hardware into that one, when I try to turn it on the CPU fan tries to spin up twice and on the third try it starts spinning. The problem is there is no power coming to my USB devices and there is no monitor output. 

The next thing I did is get an old i3 CPU and put it in my old motherboard, it works fine. I tried the i3 in my first "new" motherboard and it still doesn't work at all. 

This makes me think that the first motherboard somehow killed my i7, I must add that when the i7 is in my old motherboard it still starts to heat up. And if the i7 was dead I wouldn't think the PC would turn on at all even with no video output or USB power.

Any ideas what could possibly be going in or what I could try to do? I should add that I have done the standard stuff like clearing CMOS, different ram sticks, different slots, adding my GPU and I also tries different power supplies. 

Both CPU and mobo might be fried. The temps were usually over 60 deg C when playing? Have you ever checked them?

Also have you tried a CMOS reset?

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

What is the model of the old motherboard? Changes are it does not support the i7, or needs a CMOS reset (also worth a shot on the new MB).

8 minutes ago, KieranFretwell said:

Okay so I was casually playing a game when my PC shut off, I took everything out of my case and tried to start my computer with only the CPU, 1 stick of ram and the cooler installed.  The power buttons on my motherboard would light up but my computer would not turn on. 

So I got out my old motherboard and put the same hardware into that one, when I try to turn it on the CPU fan tries to spin up twice and on the third try it starts spinning. The problem is there is no power coming to my USB devices and there is no monitor output. 

The next thing I did is get an old i3 CPU and put it in my old motherboard, it works fine. I tried the i3 in my first "new" motherboard and it still doesn't work at all. 

This makes me think that the first motherboard somehow killed my i7, I must add that when the i7 is in my old motherboard it still starts to heat up. And if the i7 was dead I wouldn't think the PC would turn on at all even with no video output or USB power.

Any ideas what could possibly be going in or what I could try to do? I should add that I have done the standard stuff like clearing CMOS, different ram sticks, different slots, adding my GPU and I also tries different power supplies. 

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it really does sound like both your board and I7 are dead. Are they still under warranty?

The question I'd be more concerned about getting an answer to is why did they die because boards and CPUs don't just die for no reason and I'd be reluctant to fit replacements until I knew what killed the first lot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Wild Penquin said:

What is the model of the old motherboard? Changes are it does not support the i7, or needs a CMOS reset (also worth a shot on the new MB).

Did you even read his post? He was playing a game when it died. He already did a CMOS reset.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

Both CPU and mobo might be fried. The temps were usually over 60 deg C when playing? Have you ever checked them?

Also have you tried a CMOS reset?

I always had temp monitoring software open, my max temps are usually around 64c and yes I did a cmos reset. 

5 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

It does support the i7, I used to use the i7 on it before it got my new mobo for sli support. I reset the cmos and the model is Asus p8z77-v lx2 

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it really does sound like both your board and I7 are dead. Are they still under warranty?

The question I'd be more concerned about getting an answer to is why did they die because boards and CPUs don't just die for no reason and I'd be reluctant to fit replacements until I knew what killed the first lot.

I am not sure how long the warranties last, I bought the i7 brand new a few years ago but the board was second hand because the socket type is so old I couldn't find a new one. 

Edit* I got the CPU on the 10th of July 2014 

Just now, KieranFretwell said:

My warranty for the i7 runs out August 24th 2017, thank god. 

This is silly, as you probably already tried, but you might want to check your psu, as that may have been the cause of the high temps and the start of all the problems to begin with.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

3 hours ago, KieranFretwell said:

My warranty for the i7 runs out August 24th 2017, thank god. 

lol so close to end

now check the mobo

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

lol so close to end

now check the mobo

I know, and as mentioned the mobo was pre owned so I don't think that is possible or am I wrong

I know, and as mentioned the mobo was pre owned so I don't think that is possible or am I wrong

its not possible but how will they know?

worth the shot

3 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

its not possible but how will they know?

worth the shot

unless they ask for receipt or something

try and ask the guy you bought it from

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

This is silly, as you probably already tried, but you might want to check your psu, as that may have been the cause of the high temps and the start of all the problems to begin with.

I didn't consider 64c max to be high temps, I am leaning more towards the motherboard being the problem as it was pre owned.

Just now, KieranFretwell said:

I didn't consider 64c max to be high temps, I am leaning more towards the motherboard being the problem as it was pre owned.

I'd still plug it into the i3 for a few minutes to check. As for the rma on the mobo, check the manufacturer's site, and just don't tell them it was pre-owned. 

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

it might

i am wondering how much my 30 euro mobo will last. it was new

i have it temporary to survive until i get a ryzen system

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Did you even read his post? He was playing a game when it died. He already did a CMOS reset.

I did but I somehow missed that part.

But yeah, it seems probably both (MB & CPU) are broken.

Electronics do sometimes fail on their own (there could have been a defect from the factory that just now manifested itself), but I do agree it is important to check the PSU on another build. I find CPUs quite sturdy and usually do not fail prematurely on their own. MBs might.

64°C is a bit high temps, but not that high it would fry the CPU (and still within operating range). Although, if you get that while not using all cores to the max (i.e. prime95, cpuburn or similar) than something could definitely have been amiss. Silence enthusiasts let CPUs run even on higher temps sometimes, though.

Good thing you still have warranty, on the CPU at least!

Edited by Wild Penquin
Whooops... s/CPU/PSU/ !

4 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

-snip-

Yeah the power supply is fine, I tried it on my old board with the i3 processor. I just hope that there is no funny business with my rma and I actually get a replacement/compensation.