Need help replacing motherboard

Hello everybody, I've been a casual viewer of Linus's youtube videos and enjoy watching his content. However i am still fairly new too building computers and usually ask my buddies for help when upgrading parts for my pc. Anyway, recently my motherboard has given out and needs to be replaced so i need advice on buying a new motherboard and whether or not i need to replace any of my other existing parts. I may need to replace my processor and possibly ram too since the parts are getting rather old. 

1. Budget & Location    
For the budget i would like to keep the total price under $400 if possible but feel free to bump it up if you feel that the build suits my set up better. i also live in the united states.
    Parts List:
Motherboard (Broken): Alienware 08PG26
CPU: i5 2500k @3.30 GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm    
Ram: 2x 4.00Gb Dual-Channel DDR3 @665MHz-G.SKill Ripjaw
Storage: 1 TB Seagate ST31000524AS hard drive
PCU- EVGA 600 watt case
GPU- EVGA gtx 950sc 2GB
Case- NZXT S340 mid tower computer case

2. Aim
This computer is my primary gaming rig for use with games such as League of Legends, Overwatch, and Fallout 4. 

3. Monitors
I am currently using just one monitor at standard 1080p but i am also open to eventually playing at 1440p or using an additional monitor to stream youtube or watch netflix while gaming.

4. Peripherals
I already have a great mouse and mechanical keyboard so no need to worry about those parts. I also have a buddy that can load up a new version of windows 10 on a usb when i get the new build finished.
5. Why are you upgrading?
My goal with this new build is to play comfortable for at least the next 2-4 years without worrying about any more major upgrades. My priority with this is to play most games at a decent frame rate (60 fps and up) on at least medium to high settings at 1080p. So im fine if you suggest things like upgrading my graphics card to like a gtx 1050 so i can be set for several years, but i dont need something crazy like a titanx with an I7 cpu. Thank you to anyone that can help me save my computer and I will be eternally grateful :D

Personally, I would suggest you go with AM4, as the platform for Ryzen keeps getting more interesting everyday. This unfortunately would mean that you would have to replace both your Ram and CPU with your motherboard, however. Given that you are just causally gaming without Video Editing or other highly parallel tasks, I would suggest the 1400X or 1600X, as there is really no need for the 1700X or 1800X, as you could always upgrade to it later. DDR4 ram per GB is for the most part cheaper than DDR3, but 8GB is always a good starting point. 

I would suggest a 1400X, any AB350 motherboard that you like (I prefer MSI or ASUS, but your mileage may very.) and 4x8GB DDR4 (Speeds are a little subject on the AM4 platform, but I have my dominator platinum 32GB running at 3200Mhz) 

Leaves you room to upgrade to the 1800X (or whatever Naples turns out to be if it's AM4) and 16GB-64GB of RAM. Not bad at all. 

There's really no reason to upgrade your GTX950 to anything within the Maxwell 9-series, but if you could afford a GTX1070 or GTX1080, I would seriously recommend considering it.

Good luck and quote me if you want a response :)

I spend most of my time on Autodesk and Caffe. CAD is great, as long as you know what you're doing.

Watson: Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB 3000Mhz Dominator Platinum, X370 MSI Pro Carbon, 2x FirePro W9100s, 2x 256GB Samsung 850EVO SSDs, 2x 6TB WD Raid 1 HDDs, Ghetto Custom Cooling and Case, Logitech G910 and G502, 3DConnection SpacePilot Pro, 6x 27" Viewsonic FHD Monitors, 2x 24" Acer FHD Monitors, Windows 10 Pro/Ubuntu 16.04 Dual.

Yes, you can game on FirePro Cards, it's just overkill if you never use it's full abilities. 

Sherlock: 128 Core Render Server (32 Nodes, Matched Core 2 Quads, 8GB DDR2) running HPC Service Pack 1 on Windows Server 2016. Just because, you know, who doesn't want to render in real time? (Plus I don't pay the power bill)

10 hours ago, TonyKramer said:

Good luck and quote me if you want a response

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s23GD8

After talking with some other buddies, and a lot of head scratching i have made a list of parts to buy. I opted to get a decent cpu and cheaper motherboard so i could have more money to beef up my graphics card. I can also add more sticks of ram and get an ssd later on once i have more money, but this should be fine for now. Does this build look ok?

It'll work, but don't you want to more heavily focus on getting better parts in one part of your build than upgrading others, rather than getting an overall meh build. I would never recommend getting a Pentium, and I am not heavily favorable of Intel. That being said, I'll just say this. You should get a better CPU, Mobo, and Ram now using your 950, then later upgrade the 950 to a 1060 or 1070. Otherwise you're just upgrading from entry level to entry level. 

I spend most of my time on Autodesk and Caffe. CAD is great, as long as you know what you're doing.

Watson: Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB 3000Mhz Dominator Platinum, X370 MSI Pro Carbon, 2x FirePro W9100s, 2x 256GB Samsung 850EVO SSDs, 2x 6TB WD Raid 1 HDDs, Ghetto Custom Cooling and Case, Logitech G910 and G502, 3DConnection SpacePilot Pro, 6x 27" Viewsonic FHD Monitors, 2x 24" Acer FHD Monitors, Windows 10 Pro/Ubuntu 16.04 Dual.

Yes, you can game on FirePro Cards, it's just overkill if you never use it's full abilities. 

Sherlock: 128 Core Render Server (32 Nodes, Matched Core 2 Quads, 8GB DDR2) running HPC Service Pack 1 on Windows Server 2016. Just because, you know, who doesn't want to render in real time? (Plus I don't pay the power bill)

3 hours ago, TonyKramer said:

You should get a better CPU, Mobo, and Ram now using your 950, then later upgrade the 950 to a 1060 or 1070.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/23kZD8

This is option 2 that my buddy recommended if i wanted to spend the extra cash. Is there a big change in performance between the two builds? Also in my old build my pc was doing fine with just 8gb of ram but will the increase in performance justify buying more ram (like getting 16 gb)?

This build is more in my wheelhouse compared to the Pentium, so I may be a little biased, but I feel like it would be differently worth spending the extra cash getting a four core, eight thread CPU vs a dual core CPU clocked at a lower speed. Your memory choice, however is a big mistake. You want to have at least two matched sticks of RAM to take advantage of dual-channel DDR4, otherwise you are just running at half of advertised speeds in most cases. So with that said, either go with 2x4GB or 2x8GB. Usually 8GB RAM is "good enough", but in your particular case I would suggest going with 16GB 2x8GB just so you have the ability of upgrading to 32GB if you decide to do anything ever later on. Also a strong part of this build is CPU upgradablity so you could eventually get to the 1800X if you wanted to.

But, the single stick of DDR4 is a huge mistake.

Just now, TonyKramer said:

but in your particular case I would suggest going with 16GB 2x8GB just so you have the ability of upgrading to 32GB if you decide to do anything ever later on.

i will definitely take that part into account. i will probably split it into 2x4GB ram sticks to make use of the dual channel

Alright, sounds good, that does leave you with an upgrade path towards 16GB, which plenty, IMO. (This also coming from the guy who has 32GB, lol)

Just now, TonyKramer said:

Alright, sounds good

Thanks for all your help good sir. I would normally pay you for your services but i just spent enough money to reduce my food budget to instant ramen for a month. Please accept this lovely gift as a token of my thanks

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/f/f3/DANCING_COOKIE.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120702020217

Edited by coolguy50