My dislpay says no signal

Ohmyglob7

So my acer gn246hl says no signal even though I'm using the same dvi cable and pc the only thing that's diffrent is the case so naturally I tried to change the input of my moniter but I couldn't get into the os all it would do is start up say there's no signal then turn off I rebooted my pc and moniter multiple times to no avail I even unplugged the gpu and put it back in to no success please what do I do I don't know how to fix this I know this is a great cummunity so I'm sure someone knows what I should do

Step 1: Check connectors

step 2: Make sure adequate power is supplied to the GPU

step 3: Breath this a master race problem you aren't the only one

step 4: check drivers on computer

step 5: try on a different screen everyone has another screen I feel like

47 minutes ago, Specters said:

Step 1: Check connectors

step 2: Make sure adequate power is supplied to the GPU

step 3: Breath this a master race problem you aren't the only one

step 4: check drivers on computer

step 5: try on a different screen everyone has another screen I feel like

I did everthing you said but at the moment the only other display I have is a TV with vga and hdmi but my graghics card doesn't have a vga connecter and I don't have a spare hdmi cable laying around

51 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Have you tried connecting the monitor to your motherboard?

Yes didn't work

44 minutes ago, Metropath26 said:

Yes didn't work

What I would suggest is buying a HDMI cable for your TV so you can at least see to get into Windows and go from there, if it works. Then you can try connecting both the TV and monitor at the same time and diagnose the problem in Windows (seeing if the system is picking the monitor up at all, see if it's showing in Device Manager).

Can you see the POST screen, can you get in BIOS at all? If so, make sure you have iGPU enabled and not your GPU so mobo graphics will work. 

Only other thing I can think of for now is is try resetting CMOS on your motherboard.

5 minutes ago, Celios said:

What I would suggest is buying a HDMI cable for your TV so you can at least see to get into Windows and go from there, if it works. Then you can try connecting both the TV and monitor at the same time and diagnose the problem in Windows (seeing if the system is picking the monitor up at all, see if it's showing in Device Manager).

Can you see the POST screen, can you get in BIOS at all? If so, make sure you have iGPU enabled and not your GPU so mobo graphics will work. 

Only other thing I can think of for now is is try resetting CMOS on your motherboard.

I can't get into the bios right now beacuse all I have is dvi but once I get a hdmi I'll try it on my TV also this may sound stupid but what is cmos 

5 minutes ago, Metropath26 said:

I can't get into the bios right now beacuse all I have is dvi but once I get a hdmi I'll try it on my TV also this may sound stupid but what is cmos 

If you have a newer motherboard there should be a button on the IO shield labelled "RST CMOS" or something along those line, press it in and all of the BIOS setting will be reset to their default values. There is also sometimes a button on the motherboard which does the same thing, as well. These are the two ways I have done it in the past.

Older motherboards will require you to remove the CMOS battery (the silver thing that looks like a coin located on the motherboard) and put it back in after a few minutes in order to reset it. I have never done it this way so I am no expert on it.

Good luck and keep me posted!

1 hour ago, Celios said:

If you have a newer motherboard there should be a button on the IO shield labelled "RST CMOS" or something along those line, press it in and all of the BIOS setting will be reset to their default values. There is also sometimes a button on the motherboard which does the same thing, as well. These are the two ways I have done it in the past.

Older motherboards will require you to remove the CMOS battery (the silver thing that looks like a coin located on the motherboard) and put it back in after a few minutes in order to reset it. I have never done it this way so I am no expert on it.

Good luck and keep me posted!

I did what you said I removed the coming then put it back after a few minutes same thing no signal :( also there's 3 lights on my mobo one for the cpu one for the dram and one for vga but only the cpu is lit up and it's red is that bad?

10 minutes ago, Metropath26 said:

I did what you said I removed the coming then put it back after a few minutes same thing no signal :( also there's 3 lights on my mobo one for the cpu one for the dram and one for vga but only the cpu is lit up and it's red is that bad?

Was I like that before you reset CMOS or only after you had done it?

I'm not entirely sure about the lights on the motherboard, pretty sure it all depends on the motherboard. It would be best to look for the information inside of the motherboard manual or you can google the make of your motherboard and download the manual from the manufacturers website.

4 minutes ago, Celios said:

Was I like that before you reset CMOS or only after you had done it?

I'm not entirely sure about the lights on the motherboard, pretty sure it all depends on the motherboard. It would be best to look for the information inside of the motherboard manual or you can google the make of your motherboard and download the manual from the manufacturers website.

It was like that before I reset my cmos I also tried a hdmi cable and that didn't work ether is it possible the mobo is messed up? Also I'll go look for the manual but I don't understand why it's getting no signal 

13 minutes ago, Metropath26 said:

It was like that before I reset my cmos I also tried a hdmi cable and that didn't work ether is it possible the mobo is messed up? Also I'll go look for the manual but I don't understand why it's getting no signal 

What did you say you did, change the case, correct? You may have messed something up when transferring, unlikely, but could've happened. 

Are you 100% sure you have connected all of the power cables properly? I'd suggest giving everything a firm push once more, just to check. 

Did you try the HDMI cable on your TV and monitor? Did neither of them work?

I'm not too sure what else to suggest, to be honest. Maybe try booting from a USB drive? A bit random, but that's the only other thing I can think of. 

Other than that - I'm guessing a component may have died, either the GPU, RAM or MOBO by the sounds of it. You can try and diagnose the fault yourself or take the PC into a local repair store and see if they can find the faulty component; I can't imaging it being cheap though.

EDIT - You are the same person who made the original post, right? I have just noticed that you seem to have a different username to the account that made the original post. If you are not the same person, I encourage you to make your own post on your issue.

28 minutes ago, Celios said:

What did you say you did, change the case, correct? You may have messed something up when transferring, unlikely, but could've happened. 

Are you 100% sure you have connected all of the power cables properly? I'd suggest giving everything a firm push once more, just to check. 

Did you try the HDMI cable on your TV and monitor? Did neither of them work?

I'm not too sure what else to suggest, to be honest. Maybe try booting from a USB drive? A bit random, but that's the only other thing I can think of. 

Other than that - I'm guessing a component may have died, either the GPU, RAM or MOBO by the sounds of it. You can try and diagnose the fault yourself or take the PC into a local repair store and see if they can find the faulty component; I can't imaging it being cheap though.

EDIT - You are the same person who made the original post, right? I have just noticed that you seem to have a different username to the account that made the original post. If you are not the same person, I encourage you to make your own post on your issue.

It's alive it's alive!!! There was a plug that wasn't in its working fine now thanks for your help have a nice night good sur

17 minutes ago, Metropath26 said:

It's alive it's alive!!! There was a plug that wasn't in its working fine now thanks for your help have a nice night good sur

No problem, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 7:35 PM, Celios said:

No problem, enjoy!

Lol did i not say check the connectors haha I should've been more specific i guess xD