Delidding i7 4770k

Go to solution Solved by Yoola,

Considered pros and cons of delidding. Saw theres way too many negative effects over some that won't even give me any performance. Better spend that money on mechanical keyboard or something. 

I can't decide if I should delid my CPU or not (4770k). Its running at 4.5GHz and under stress test it reaches high 80s, sometimes lower 90s (°C). But I know it never reaches that much with whatever I do, especially gaming. It'd feel so bad so downclock the overclock and yet on the other side it'd feel bad as much if something goes wrong with delid (even it's highly unlikely as I'll be using tool). I can expect about 15°C-20°C drop with liquid metal. So, should I do it?

3 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

Do you have the money to replace your cpu?

Well, got friend thats willing to give me 6700k + Z170 if I screw this up, but that's not the point. Consider that taken out of equation. 

I need someone to settle my mind on actually doing it or not since it won't give me actually performance boost, but yet could take out that bug out of my mind that keeps telling me I can get 20°C lower temps on CPU. 

well if you have the ability to obtain another cpu then do it the 4770k is one of the chips that can benefit form it 

What cooler? H5 is a midrange air cooler at best, for OC you should be looking at high end air coolers/AIOs imho

idk

I really would only take the temps you are getting in normal scenarios into the consideration, the synthetic loads are only good for testing.

If you obtain 70s while gaming, i wouldn't bother. And as @Droidbot already stated, if you look for the max oc, get the best cooler you can find first before messing with the cpu itself

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

16 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

What cooler? 

It's Cryorig H7 with push pull fans, considered to upgrade to Noctua NH-D15 but thought to do this first as it gives most significant temperature upgrade. 

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

Get a delidding tool. It's as safe as it can get. The 4770k has notoriously bad contact between the core and ihs 

Yeah, got Delid-Die-Mate 2 on order with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. But thinking if I should cancel it or not. 

4 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

I'd take my chances if I were you. The success rate with a proper tool must be above 99%

Yeah I'm quite confident in the process after watching so many videos and only thing that worries me are the VRMs next to the actual die. But still, is this all worth it? :| 

you want my opinion so ill give it to you. no, it is not worth it, you will achieve very little extra overclock if any at all with your reduced temps (most likely nothing) and your current temps are not likely to shorten the lifespan of your chip. that said you wouldn't be here if it wasn't gnawing at your soul like a beaver on a stump so take a deep breath, steady your nerves, and play whack a mole with your 300 dollar CPU.

SHHHHUSH! I'm hunting wabbits. 

which is exactly what you are doing

Considered pros and cons of delidding. Saw theres way too many negative effects over some that won't even give me any performance. Better spend that money on mechanical keyboard or something. 

Just now, Yoola said:

Psst. A better cooler or an AIO helps!

idk

31 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Psst. A better cooler or an AIO helps!

Since I got Fractal Design Define S and empty front of it, what AIO I could get that's massive, preferably 360mm and as thick as possible (with push+pull fans). 

Just now, Yoola said:

Since I got Fractal Design Define S and empty front of it, what AIO I could get that's massive, preferably 360mm and as thick as possible (with push+pull fans). 

EK (yes, waterblocks and rads EK) will be releasing their modular AIO system that allows you to have your CPU + GPU on one loop without draining or messing with anything. 

It's coming soon apparently. 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc

idk

4 hours ago, Droidbot said:

EK (yes, waterblocks and rads EK) will be releasing their modular AIO system that allows you to have your CPU + GPU on one loop without draining or messing with anything. 

It's coming soon apparently. 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio/ek-mlc

Seems like Noctua NH-D15 would suit me better. Amount of performance and silence makes it probably my best option.