Web Site

Ok so i recently have thought about making a website from scratch with html. i am learning how to make the web page. When it comes time to put the website online, i know i need to get a domain name and i also know that i have to have some sort of host. I know there are website that you can request a domain and have them host it but i want to host it my self and not go through any third party applications. i want to do it 100% free and independently. I know that the domain name Im thinking of inst taken. How would i go about making this entirely myself. Is it even possible?

Well, if you are going to host it yourself you will need to check if your ISP will allow it.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

Well, if you are going to host it yourself you will need to check if your ISP will allow it.

how do i check that? i can run other servers for games and teamspeak and such does that mean that they allow it?

Just now, DualZone said:

how do i check that? i can run other servers for games and teamspeak and such does that mean that they allow it?

That's different, running a website will require certain ports than ISPs often block, and even if the ports are open or you find a way around them they will still punish you if the find out about it. They don't want you running a business, or using substantial bandwidth, without paying for it, so they have a clause in the user agreement or ToS that says you can't run a server. Game servers are usually allowed, but they might technically break those rules too, I'm not sure. But the game servers are not what they mean when they talk about servers being banned.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

That's different, running a website will require certain ports than ISPs often block, and even if the ports are open or you find a way around them they will still punish you if the find out about it. They don't want you running a business, or using substantial bandwidth, without paying for it, so they have a clause in the user agreement or ToS that says you can't run a server. Game servers are usually allowed, but they might technically break those rules too, I'm not sure. But the game servers are not what they mean when they talk about servers being banned.

not sure if this helps but i have cox for internet

Just now, DualZone said:

not sure if this helps but i have cox for internet

You can call Cox and ask if they block port 80 and if they allow users on your plan to run a server at home. :D 

You can call Cox and ask if they block port 80 and if they allow users on your plan to run a server at home. :D 

ok thanks i might just do that

i think i will check the eula first

1 minute ago, DualZone said:

ok thanks i might just do that

i think i will check the eula first

2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

i just found it pretty fast it says that they dont allow servers to be run unless approved by them

Use WAMP.

You can also get free domain names from places like no-ip, it just won't be exactly what you want.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Use WAMP.

You can also get free domain names from places like no-ip, it just won't be exactly what you want.

ya i would like a very clean address

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

You also need to have the isp assign a static ip for the site, along with the business account upgrade. It is easier to host through a 3rd party unless you are already paying for a business connection. I wonder why game servers are normally exempt? They transfer huge amounts of data. And you can setup a page with a personal account then link it to a local PC to store the files and that's OK. I used to do it, but I only transferred maybe 500GB per day and didn't have sponsor traffic. this was back in 2011 I believe with Cox.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

So half a tera of data was fine with Cox at the time.

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

You also need to have the isp assign a static ip for the site, along with the business account upgrade. It is easier to host through a 3rd party unless you are already paying for a business connection. I wonder why game servers are normally exempt? They transfer huge amounts of data. And you can setup a page with a personal account then link it to a local PC to store the files and that's OK. I used to do it, but I only transferred maybe 500GB per day and didn't have sponsor traffic. this was back in 2011 I believe with Cox.

Something like a massive Minecraft server might not be exempt, but something like a call of duty "server" on Xbox is. Then you get games in the middle. I think if it's a reasonable activity that mass consumers do, they will allow it. But that's just speculation. 

Just now, crzyces said:

So half a tera of data was fine with Cox at the time.

i might call them tomorrow and ask them if they would allow it, the only thing is, im 16, i dont pay for the internet and my parents probably wouldnt appreciate getting scolded by their internet provider cuz there son is hosting a high bandwidth server

4 minutes ago, DualZone said:

i might call them tomorrow and ask them if they would allow it, the only thing is, im 16, i dont pay for the internet and my parents probably wouldnt appreciate getting scolded by their internet provider cuz there son is hosting a high bandwidth server

Run a VPN. They can't do a thing.

Just now, crzyces said:

Run a VPN. They can't do a thing.

Like if you download torrents they freak and shut off your internet. 3 strikes they take you to court. Happened to me twice. VPN went up, no problems since.

Just now, crzyces said:

Like if you download torrents they freak and shut off your internet. 3 strikes they take you to court. Happened to me twice. VPN went up, no problems since.

i have downloaded my fair share of torrents and they havent said anything