An Inductor must have blown up on me

Lord Nicoll

I was wondering why something wasn't working right, and when I performed a detailed analysis of the card in question, an inductor was quite badly damaged. Do these randomly blow up on GPUs? I'm pretty sure this is the display driver circuit, I have used a lot of SMD ferrite core inductors and never seen one fail like that, this card never left it's server so I have no idea how it could gave been damaged any other way. 

17858391_1487563414595574_1545171244_o.jpg

Yours faithfully

looks like it has gotten a bit too toasty

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

5 minutes ago, simson0606 said:

looks like it has gotten a bit too toasty

Maybe, I have found the rest of it, oddly on the other side of the server, so either I broke it taking it out (I don't think so) or it had blown and when I flipped it around bits fell onto the server (it's now littered in tiny conductive ferrite particles. 

Yours faithfully

8 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I was wondering why something wasn't working right, and when I performed a detailed analysis of the card in question, an inductor was quite badly damaged. Do these randomly blow up on GPUs? I'm pretty sure this is the display driver circuit, I have used a lot of SMD ferrite core inductors and never seen one fail like that, this card never left it's server so I have no idea how it could gave been damaged any other way. 

You can see a lot of heat damage between the solder points as well, so It looks like it overheated and failed to me. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just now, Brink2Three said:

You can see a lot of heat damage between the solder points as well, so It looks like it overheated and failed to me. 

it was always like that, it's an AMD Firepro V7900, so single slot, it wasn't a cool running card but it wasn't hot either (in the 70°C range)

Yours faithfully

Probably a micro defect in the powdered ferric core that got worse over time due to heat.

Inductors don't usually fail unless you shove outrageous amount of current through it (that one would need more than 8A DC based on its wire gauge).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

3 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Probably a micro defect in the powdered ferric core that got worse over time due to heat.

Inductors don't usually fail unless you shove outrageous amount of current through it (that one would need more than 8A DC based on its wire gauge).

well, I must have broken it myself, because the card still works, meaning it must be SDI or CrossFire Pro related, since I use neither of those. I de-soldered the inductor and just cleaned up the pads. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

well, I must have broken it myself, because the card still works, meaning it must be SDI or CrossFire Pro related, since I use neither of those. I de-soldered the inductor and just cleaned up the pads. 

You weren't working around it frequently were you?

Are you trying to replace it?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

You weren't working around it frequently were you?

Are you trying to replace it?

I pulled the FirePro V7900 out of a HP ProLiant DL160 G6 rack server that's ESXi file system had seemed to have become corrupt, I was testing all the cards in the server (there's only two and only one is a normal PCIe device) to test them on their own, and I must have knocked the top part of the card off the PSU (where I found the inductor fragments). I don't remember even hitting that area, I rested the card down but it was still in the PCIe frame, so it's possible the inductor just randomly broke at some point and fell out the PSU at that point, but unlikely. 

Yours faithfully