Asus Z270i m.2 Troubles

Hey folks!

I've recently built myself a setup using the new ASUS strix z270i, just encountered an issue with the M.2 slots.

So the issue is, The 2nd m.2 slot just isn't working, i cant detect the drive in windows drive manager, It doesn't come up in the BIOS at all.

So I tried a few things, checked that it wasn't the M.2 by trying both in the "working" slot, Both were detected, tried both in the 2nd slot, failed to even post once, then it came up no drives detected.

So I'm kinda stumped, Now my knowledge of PC's isn't huge just the basics, But I've got all the drivers installed, BIOS is on the latest version etc.

Just looking for some advice see if there's anything else i should do before I throw in the towel and get it sent back which is my last option as I'm at a rural posting for work so mail is snail mail.

Thanks Guys.

Yeah, the second m.2 is dead for sure. 

Contact ASUS. 

idk

Damn, exactly what i was hoping to avoid, okay thanks mate

8 minutes ago, Randomguy1911 said:

1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

one of the slots is NVME only.

Edit:

Link: https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/specifications/

Now that.. That's fucking strange. I expected one of them to be SATA only and one to be SATA+PCIE. Thanks for the answer here. 

idk

8 minutes ago, Randomguy1911 said:

1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

one of the slots is NVME only.

Edit:

Link: https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/specifications/

This is one of the biggest annoyances I have with M.2. Motherboards have crazy/inconsistent implementations leading to too much confusion around what it going to be compatible. /rant

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

crazy/inconsistent implementations leading to too much confusion around what it going to be compatible.

Like the intel  H/Z170 and b150 chipsets. Kaby Lake fits the 1151 socket but bios often needs to updated to boot the system. 

but in order to update bios you need a working skylake cpu.

1 minute ago, Randomguy1911 said:

Like the intel  H/Z170 and b150 chipsets. Kaby Lake fits the 1151 socket but bios often needs to updated to boot the system. 

but in order to update bios you need a working skylake cpu.

That is understandable, and at least there can be compatibility with a BIOS update.

M.2 is more like having the 1151 socket used for either a CPU or GPU depending on what the motherboard manufacturers whim is on the day of the board meeting they had and consumers needing to check each motherboard carefully whether it supports a CPU at all.

Far out.. that's a tad annoying. guess ill have to palm off the sata one to a mate and buy a NVME! i would have got a normal SSD but im using a node 202 and i wanted to save some space!

Thanks for the help guys!!

• 1 year later...

I have the Exact same issue..  except I have 2 Toshiba 256  NVme  Drives.
slighitly different Generations. But same exact size, and both. 256

What ever I put in the Back M.2  of my z270i  will not show up in bios.  hence I Cant do Raid.

but it will show up in Device manager, if I boot into windows ?