Planning on selling my Pre-Built Alienware to raise money for a build

Hi all,

I'm planning on selling my Pre-Built Alienware x51 R2 to gain a budget and build my own pc. I would like to be able to sell it for $600, but I don't think that it will be able to go that high. This pc will be used for Gaming and possibly video editing. I will be using my current Samsung monitors when I move over to my new build, which each run at 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz. If needed, I have an extra GTX 645 that came with the computer laying around that I would be willing to sell with the alienware to raise the budget.The case itself is in mint condition on the outside, with zero scratches on it whatsoever. There is however, a minor portion of the steel INSIDE the case which was cut by a dremel to accommodate a 6-pin plug for my GPU. I could also possibly sell this desktop with the 120gb ssd inside, but I would prefer to keep it because of boot times and also since it won't add too much value in my opinion. But, if it would, let me know. In the terms of the build I plan on making, I already have an EVGA 600W psu sitting around, and an EVGA Z170 Stinger (in box but untested at the moment). Would it be a better idea to sell this Stinger to buy a different board? It is the mITX version. I also have an H100iV2 and spare HDD's sitting around.

So, here's the part list of my pre-built.

Case/Mobo: Alienware X51 R2 Micro ITX

Processor: Intel I3-4130 2 core 4 thread @3.4Ghz

Ram: (2x) Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM

GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 750 Ti OC 2gb GDDR5

Optical Drive:LG Super-Multi 8x DVD Rewriter For Notebooks - Model GA50N

HDD: Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s

PSU: Dell Alienware 330W AC Adapter

Please tell me what you think/send me any advice on what I could buy for my next build.

I'm in the US!

Thanks! 

-Tekkit

Edited by TheTekkitBoss
Grammar, Added price region, Added missing part already possessed.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Sorry if this appears harsh but:

- No SSD in a PC nowadays is an instant turn off.

- Dual core processor several generations old.

- Low tier gpu from several generations ago.

I work in £ but even still I would bet no more than $300

Put the Alienware name you got 350 ^.^

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Sorry if this appears harsh but:

- No SSD in a PC nowadays is an instant turn off.

- Dual core processor several generations old.

- Low tier gpu from several generations ago.

I work in £ but even still I would bet no more than $300

Yeah, I can totally understand that. Its all just older hardware. Honestly reconsidering it, I would sell the ssd with it. It'll be easier to sell with that compared to without.

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

Put the Alienware name you got 350 ^.^

That's also one of the factors I thought of, because people overprice them all the time, so a low priced (compared to those overpriced) alienware might grab the attention, ESPECIALLY if I leave the ssd inside the pc

Just now, TheTekkitBoss said:

That's also one of the factors I thought of, because people overprice them all the time, so a low priced (compared to those overpriced) alienware might grab the attention, ESPECIALLY if I leave the ssd inside the pc

You could part things out, but it would probably go for less due to the motherboard probably being cheap, you could also sell some of the stuff and upgrade the CPU, allot of stuff you can do.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

You could part things out, but it would probably go for less due to the motherboard probably being cheap, you could also sell some of the stuff and upgrade the CPU, allot of stuff you can do.

Well, I thought about that, but at this point it seems more expensive to get the performance I want, since the BIOS is overclock locked. So thats one of the major turnoffs of this pc.

3 minutes ago, TheTekkitBoss said:

Well, I thought about that, but at this point it seems more expensive to get the performance I want, since the BIOS is overclock locked. So thats one of the major turnoffs of this pc.

There are like 150-180$ i7 4770s' there pretty nice. You could go skylake if you want, but I'd go x58 or x79 if you want price to performance. Or wait for ryzen r5. If multitasking is your thing. X58 has like 50$ motherboards, 50$ 6core 12thread CPU with close single core performance if you overclock. (To the i3)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

There are like 150-180$ i7 4770s' there pretty nice. You could go skylake if you want, but I'd go x58 or x79 if you want price to performance. Or wait for ryzen r5. If multitasking is your thing. X58 has like 50$ motherboards, 50$ 6core 12thread CPU with close single core performance if you overclock. (To the i3)

These are good points, however I can't swap the motherboard because the i/o plate is part of the case. Which would lead to new case, motherboard, and at that point just build a new pc. Plus, regardless of if the processor is overclockable or not, Intel Extreme tuning utility REFUSES to overclock it on the alienware board.

If/when you sell the pre-built, what would your total budget be for a new pc?

Do you want a certain size? (ATX, MATX, ITX)?

and where about are you from, helps for pricing parts.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

22 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

If/when you sell the pre-built, what would your total budget be for a new pc?

Do you want a certain size? (ATX, MATX, ITX)?

and where about are you from, helps for pricing parts.

Sorry, forgot to include where I'm from. 
If I were to choose a size, I'd say If I kept my Stinger motherboard for said build, I would go for another mitx case. I *could* do an atx case if cheaper (cheaper because of mitx hype maybe?), and that would also lead to easier upgrades later on, but it's kind of blurred at the moment. 
For total budget, if I can find someone to accept that price, maybe 600? I'm sure SOMEONE out there would be willing enough to pay that much for an alienware with an ssd.

17 minutes ago, TheTekkitBoss said:

Sorry, forgot to include where I'm from. 
If I were to choose a size, I'd say If I kept my Stinger motherboard for said build, I would go for another mitx case. I *could* do an atx case if cheaper (cheaper because of mitx hype maybe?), and that would also lead to easier upgrades later on, but it's kind of blurred at the moment. 
For total budget, if I can find someone to accept that price, maybe 600? I'm sure SOMEONE out there would be willing enough to pay that much for an alienware with an ssd.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: EVGA Z170 Stinger Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($57.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($53.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($219.99 @ Jet) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.89 @ B&H) 
Total: $693.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-07 11:42 EDT-0400

As far as going Kabylake, you won't be able to unless you have a skylake cpu to update the bios.

Can probably pick up windows for cheap on reddit or Kinguin.

Feel free to change it though.

Edit: Realized the skylake Pentium wasn't HT'd, best bet would be a skylake i5, non-locked, if your aim is gaming.

May have to save some cash after the sale of the pre-built.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: EVGA Z170 Stinger Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($57.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($53.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($219.99 @ Jet) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.89 @ B&H) 
Total: $693.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-07 11:42 EDT-0400

As far as going Kabylake, you won't be able to unless you have a skylake cpu to update the bios.

Can probably pick up windows for cheap on reddit or Kinguin.

Feel free to change it though.

Thanks for the parts list!
I actually have a few windows disks on hand, so I could just install 7 and upgrade to 10 for free. As for the Power supply, HDD, and SSD, I could easily find an ssd on ebay (I found this m.2 on ebay and bought an adapter to convert it to SATA), and I have a 600W evga psu sitting on a shelf in the box. So, that knocks off ~$150

@deXxterlab97 Did I part out a decent rig, or did I miss something. Don't wanna have him build something crappy due to my advice.

Current System Specs:

4 minutes ago, TheTekkitBoss said:

Thanks for the parts list!
I actually have a few windows disks on hand, so I could just install 7 and upgrade to 10 for free. As for the Power supply, HDD, and SSD, I could easily find an ssd on ebay (I found this m.2 on ebay and bought an adapter to convert it to SATA), and I have a 600W evga psu sitting on a shelf in the box. So, that knocks off ~$150

Free upgrade period has ended. However windows 10 pro is $30 off kinguin.

RX 480 is a good shout at the prices they have dropped to now.

I would suggest an R5 build but as you have the stinger that limits you there. Not much point in the Z170 chipset if you have a non k cpu so I suggest the 6600k, being overclockable it will have a longer usefulness too (oc it when performance drops off)

2 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

@deXxterlab97 Did I part out a decent rig, or did I miss something. Don't wanna have him build something crappy due to my advice.

Decent list but as he has some parts he can direct the saving at a k cpu to make full use of his z motherboard.

9 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Decent list but as he has some parts he can direct the saving at a k cpu to make full use of his z motherboard.

Only problem is, he would need a cooler, but I can see if I can switch a budget 1 in. 1 sec.

But yeah I agree, non-oc chip on a oc board isn't the best route, but was trying to keep it within budget, but since he doesn't need a psu or ssd, I can upgrade some areas.

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Free upgrade period has ended. However windows 10 pro is $30 off kinguin.

RX 480 is a good shout at the prices they have dropped to now.

I would suggest an R5 build but as you have the stinger that limits you there. Not much point in the Z170 chipset if you have a non k cpu so I suggest the 6600k, being overclockable it will have a longer usefulness too (oc it when performance drops off)

Actually, you can still upgrade free through the assistive technologies links (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade)

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Only problem is, he would need a cooler, but I can see if I can switch a budget 1 in. 1 sec.

But yeah I agree, non-oc chip on a oc board isn't the best route, but was trying to keep it within budget, but since he doesn't need a psu or ssd, I can upgrade some areas.

The famous hyper 212 evo is good budget offering and always fairly cheap (at least here in the UK where everything is more expensive than the US -.-)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card  ($242.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $674.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-07 11:54 EDT-0400

Current System Specs:

9 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

The famous hyper 212 evo is good budget offering and always fairly cheap (at least here in the UK where everything is more expensive than the US -.-)

Depending on location, A Cryorig H7 does do a better job for slightly more cash. If not the Hyper 212x does a nice job too, for a small price increase over the evo (but has better bearings, and a nicer fan)

Current System Specs:

10 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card  ($242.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $674.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-07 11:54 EDT-0400

@TheTekkitBoss this may work better for you,

allows you to OC, and make full use of your board.

Current System Specs:

11 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Better :) 

I wish I helped a buddy of mine..

dumb friend got a i7-7700k on a b250 mobo.. and has the system water-cooled. I'm like way to waste $200.

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, Drake10114 said:

Depending on location, A Cryorig H7 does do a better job for slightly more cash. If not the Hyper 212x does a nice job too, for a small price increase over the evo (but has better bearings, and a nicer fan)

Yeah see that's not bad but here in the UK:

Hyper 212 £22

H7 £45

-.- LAME