Secondary drive trouble, need your help!

Go to solution Solved by SCHISCHKA,
Just now, Rohime said:

OK then - I'll bet you 20 likes that either power or data connector is not cabled properly... .because whet you just said is "I didnt check it after changing the motherboard".

it looks like no power to me

Hey, I am in dire need of some help.

I just upgraded my computer from a FX 8350 to a Ryzen 7 1700.

And performance wise I am very happy, it finally a smooth gaming experience instead of a rollercoaster one, stable frames instead of a god median but horrible switch between low and high FPS witch I find very frustrating.

and I haven't even updated the bios or anything like that yet, so exited to see how it works after I've done that.

HOWEVER, the issue I have is that my secondary hard drive is a no show after I upgraded, and I suspect why but don't know how to fix it without losing my data.

I had to upgrade to windows 10 so I bought a Win 10 PRO OEM OS, it all worked and legit for just 10 bucks.

However, again. I had this super weird issues all the time I had WIN 7 that I could not right click on files in file explorer then file explorer would crash and some times give me an error message saying something about RPC.

So I decides to just format the whole C drive and put the little of documents and pictures and stuff that's important as a back up to my F: drive before I formatted it and installed WIN 10. 

How ever, I can no longer see my old hardrive, and I suspect the reason are simply because I formatted and did a clean install on my C: drive and not upgrade and "keep files" I only wanted to keep the F: drive files anyway.

I did not think this probably trough and I hope some one here might be able to save me from my stupidity.

ohh yeah, the drive do off course show up in the device manager, but that does not help me much. 

Best regards

- Pål-Marius S. Hansen

Open disk management (you can do so from within device manager). How's the drive showing up? Do you see the partitions or does it all say "Unallocated"?

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

4 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

Open disk management (you can do so from within device manager). How's the drive showing up? Do you see the partitions or does it all say "Unallocated"?

mhh, one issue, my windows are in Norwegian and I cant say I see a Norwegian word that the same or similar to the word Unallocated. However, I can se to partitions for a drive named

"DRIVE 1" and one of those are 450 MB and the other are 99 MB but the rest of the 1TB drive are not visible to me anymore.

scratch that, it's drive 0 that's the drive I am looking for.

it only says Dynamic Disk, 0mb and has a warning symbol on it. it also say "this unit is workin probaly" witch clearly is a lie.

Im not sure what too do, if it was a new drive with no files in it I would know what to do, but I need does files :( and I am too afraid to just push something random to see if it works and I might end up losing it all.

ohh yeah, it also says external on the drive, but it's not, it is in fact local and I believe it's connected to either the SATA 1 or 2 port, not that should matter much. 

1 minute ago, propm said:

mhh, one issue, my windows are in Norwegian and I cant say I see a Norwegian word that the same or similar to the word Unallocated. 

I think the word is Ufordelt 

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

2 minutes ago, propm said:

mhh, one issue, my windows are in Norwegian and I cant say I see a Norwegian word that the same or similar to the word Unallocated. However, I can se to partitions for a drive named

"DRIVE 1" and one of those are 450 MB and the other are 99 MB but the rest of the 1TB drive are not visible to me anymore.

scratch that, it's drive 0 that's the drive I am looking for.

it only says Dynamic Disk, 0mb and has a warning symbol on it. it also say "this unit is workin probaly" witch clearly is a lie.

Im not sure what too do, if it was a new drive with no files in it I would know what to do, but I need does files :( and I am too afraid to just push something random to see if it works and I might end up losing it all.

If you enlarge the window (to check extra drive is not off the bottom of list) then  yuo should get something that looks like this.  Can you provide a copy of yours.

aMLk7EZ.png

Just now, pelark said:

I think the word is Ufordelt 

thank you! :D but no, it's does not say that :o 

yes, I can. Sadly I don't have affinity photo installed yet so you get a duel screen screenshot :P 

Uten navn.jpg

32 minutes ago, propm said:

I had to upgrade to windows 10 so I bought a Win 10 PRO OEM OS, it all worked and legit for just 10 bucks.

its not legit for $10 but that is another conversation.

6 minutes ago, propm said:

yes, I can. Sadly I don't have affinity photo installed yet so you get a duel screen screenshot :P 

Uten navn.jpg

what does device manager say about the ! icon over the drive? has the drive got power? what is the model of the drive?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

There seems to be a problem with Windows reading the drive. Have you tried to mount/initialize it and see what error it gives you?

~ Specs bellow ~

CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

14 minutes ago, propm said:

Uten navn.jpg

that says that your second drive is etiher:

1- not plugged in (power)

2 - not plugged in (data cable)

3- Faulty (not spinning up at all).  **not likely

ie: check all your cables and your BIOS/UEFI configuration for the drive

8 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

what does device manager say about the ! icon over the drive? has the drive got power? what is the model of the drive?

and BTW - you dont need "Affinity photo" (what ever that is - never heard of it) to get an image of the open window only - just hold down ALT when you press "PrntScreen" button.

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

It does not say anything, that the thing, it only says "this device work as it should"

I think it is, I register the code I received from the seller, and I got the message back from windows saying my windows key was registered and genuine windows activated.

How ever its an OEM OS so I can never use it on a different computer in the future. Sucks, but its so cheap that I can just buy it again :P 

2 minutes ago, Rohime said:

that says that your second drive is etiher:

1- not plugged in (power)

2 - not plugged in (data cable)

3- Faulty (not spinning up at all).  **not likely

ie: check all your cables and your BIOS/UEFI configuration for the drive

Yeah, I can take a look, but the power connector have always been plunged in, all I did was change my motherboard, CPU and Ram, I did not unplug anything else.

I can take a look in BIOS again and see if I can find something out, but IDK, might just be me but I feel like there is so little options in this BIOS than I am used too.

But I am going offline for a little while then trying double checking connections and trying to see if I can find something out in BIOS, I might even just switch SATA port just too see if it helps, don't think so tough.

Just now, propm said:

Yeah, I can take a look, but the power connector have always been plunged in, all I did was change my motherboard, CPU and Ram, I did not unplug anything else.

OK then - I'll bet you 20 likes that either power or data connector is not cabled properly... .because whet you just said is "I didnt check it after changing the motherboard".

5 minutes ago, propm said:

I register the code I received from the seller,

you got ripped off. I wouldnt pay $1 for a key but like i said its a long conversation

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, Rohime said:

and BTW - you dont need "Affinity photo" (what ever that is - never heard of it) to get an image of the open window only - just hold down ALT when you press "PrntScreen" button.

I guess you are right, but I am kinda strange. I like to do things the way I learn it the first way. You would be amazed about a lot of strange or inconvenient ways I do thing :P 

Just now, Rohime said:

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You say it's never been unplugged and that you only changed the motherboard. Well, you did have to plug it on the new motherboard, didn't you? :) Make sure it's connected properly, also make sure that the power cables aren't loose (you could have accidentally moved it just enough for it to not make proper contact anymore). Finally if all else fails, try a different SATA port on the motherboard. Could be faulty.

~ Specs bellow ~

2 minutes ago, propm said:

I guess you are right, but I am kinda strange. I like to do things the way I learn it the first way. You would be amazed about a lot of strange or inconvenient ways I do thing :P 

We have an expression for that in English.  It is "Old fuddy-duddy".   (No offence intended)

Change is good.  Bring it on.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I did not mean to push that button, it was by accident, but I am going to check it out like right away ++ other stuff :P 

you might be right, but I don't relay care, it says it's genuine, every thing works and are activated and it was way cheaper than buying it from my regular supplier.

2 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

You say it's never been unplugged and that you only changed the motherboard. Well, you did have to plug it on the new motherboard, didn't you? :) Make sure it's connected properly, also make sure that the power cables aren't loose (you could have accidentally moved it just enough for it to not make proper contact anymore). Finally if all else fails, try a different SATA port on the motherboard. Could be faulty.

Yeah, obviously, or else it would show in the device manager. but the power cable aint connected to the motherboard and that's the cable I did not unplug.

will do, you might be right, the now motherboard are a bit lager for some reason, I thought they both where ATX but the old one might not be ATX after all xD so it was a much tighter fit.

Okai, I fixed it, it was acutely very simple, I wanted to try it earlier, but I was afraid I could lose my data.

I did not :D there was nothing wrong with sata or power or anything like that, It was just ME, or me being to afraid to do maybe the most logic thing.

it pushed the "import external drive" button, but I thought I might lose some data, also it's not relay a external drive, it's very much local. 

but thank you for your time and trying to help me, I truly appreciate it :) and sorry for wasting your time on something as simple. I don't know why I didn't do this earlier. I wish that I had a good NAS so I did not have to be so afraid of losing data all the time xD

ohh god, I am a very happy man right now :) Finely I can work with rendering without it taking me for ever, I can edit vidoes with out having to wait 1-3 minutes for it to load while I am just scrubing trough the video, I can 3D model without to many issues and I have a more than decent gaming experience now :D and now that I have my secondery drive I can finely put it to the test of all in all of this thing :)