Motherboard for i5 2500k

Hey LTT,

Need your expert suggestions. My current Motherboard Intel DH67BL is wearing out, and hence getting a new board. There are only a few boards available in India for lga1155. Not even used are available.

Confused between 

1. Intel DH77EB @ $95.45

2. Intel DZ75ML-45k @ $141.64

I guess the z75 will help me overclock my CPU. But i don't know much about the quality and reliability of that board.

My current rig:

CPU i5 2500k

Cooler CM hyper 212 turbo

MoBo Intel DH67BL

Ram Corsair Vengeance 4x2 8gb

GPU Zotac 1060 amp 6gb

PSU CM gx650

SSd Samsung 840 Evo 120gb

HDD Seagate 1tb + 500gb

7 minutes ago, Abhinav Ashish said:

-snip-

Well, the board is made by intel themselves, so I wouldn't worry about reliability, but as for overclocking, I'd imagine it might be difficult because the VRM doesn't even have cooling. It should cope fine though, if possible try to keep the VRM cool. I'd go for the Z75 board if you want to attempt overclocking...thought you might not get too far.

I also had no idea a Z75 chipset existed..

9 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Well, the board is made by intel themselves, so I wouldn't worry about reliability, but as for overclocking, I'd imagine it might be difficult because the VRM doesn't even have cooling. It should cope fine though, if possible try to keep the VRM cool. I'd go for the Z75 board if you want to attempt overclocking...thought you might not get too far.

I also had no idea a Z75 chipset existed..

I too had no idea was just searching the web for a board and got it. That's the reason i am a lil skeptical about it.

Well i will just go for a CPU overclocking if i go for it. The GPU is quiet powerful right now.

Just now, Abhinav Ashish said:

I too had no idea was just searching the web for a board and got it. That's the reason i am a lil skeptical about it.

Well, from researching, it just lacks RST (Rapid Storage Technology, the Intel RAID onboard RAID controller) and is missing a few more PCIe lanes.

I think it's pretty good though.

It sucks you can't find any used ones though. Then again, the used Z77 boards sell for quite a bit even here in the US as well sadly.

Z75 is just Z77 minus the SRT caching stuff. The difference is so small most motherboard manufacturers didn't bother making separate Z75 models.

I've been running a Z75 board for 4½ years though, and it's fine.

As for that Intel board, maybe you could buy heatsinks to apply to the VRMs yourself. Then again, I'm not sure about availability in India, and throwing more money at an old platform might not be worth it.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Well, from researching, it just lacks RST (Rapid Storage Technology, the Intel RAID onboard RAID controller) and is missing a few more PCIe lanes.

I think it's pretty good though.

It sucks you can't find any used ones though. Then again, the used Z77 boards sell for quite a bit even here in the US as well sadly.

I did search for z77 boards here in India and i only got eBay links for importing refurbished MoBo from USA at ridiculous high prices.

Just now, scottyseng said:

It has RST, but lacks SRT (yeah thank Intel for that naming, not confusing at all). The number of PCIe lanes is the same, but Z77 can split the 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes to three slots while Z75 can only split it to two slots. But who wants to use three graphics cards anyway...

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It has RST, but lacks SRT (yeah thank Intel for that naming, not confusing at all). The number of PCIe lanes is the same, but Z77 can split the 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes to three slots while Z75 can only split it to two slots. But who wants to use three graphics cards anyway...

Haha, I knew I screwed up the two. Thanks for clearing that up.

i cant imagine little fin type aluminum heatspreaders like the ones that come with accelero gpu coolers would be too expensive. even in india. might be an avenue. another might be a fan full blast over that area.