Questions about University Placement Year

Hey everyone.

I want to ask a few questions about something that I have to get sorted for university pretty soon, and would like input/opinions.

I'm currently studying as a Computing and Games Development student (1st year). In-between my 2nd and final year, I have to do a 1-year placement that is relevant for my course - in my case, games development. 

I've been told that I don't have to think too much into it until my second year, but I still have some questions, which if possible would like your input on.

After looking at the sheet provided to me by my university, there are only around 10 companies in the UK that have offered placement in the past to students at the university and course I attend.

As such I've been thinking about widening my search and was curious of the following:

1. Would it be possible to do placements outside of the UK?
    1. if so, how would I go about that?
      1. Would I have to contact companies directly or go through my university? (I say this as nearly everything they provide is UK based)
      2. Would I have to get a student visa (if needed)?
      3. Finance and living, how would I arrange something like that when I'm from a different country?
    2. If so, what companies/places would you say would be the best to ask/look for placements?

Basically, I have a lot of questions on my mind, and I don't really know where to start - so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

43 minutes ago, Alexp10v2 said:

Hey everyone.

I want to ask a few questions about something that I have to get sorted for university pretty soon, and would like input/opinions.

I'm currently studying as a Computing and Games Development student (1st year). In-between my 2nd and final year, I have to do a 1-year placement that is relevant for my course - in my case, games development. 

I've been told that I don't have to think too much into it until my second year, but I still have some questions, which if possible would like your input on.

After looking at the sheet provided to me by my university, there are only around 10 companies in the UK that have offered placement in the past to students at the university and course I attend.

As such I've been thinking about widening my search and was curious of the following:

1. Would it be possible to do placements outside of the UK?
    1. if so, how would I go about that?
      1. Would I have to contact companies directly or go through my university? (I say this as nearly everything they provide is UK based)
      2. Would I have to get a student visa (if needed)?
      3. Finance and living, how would I arrange something like that when I'm from a different country?
    2. If so, what companies/places would you say would be the best to ask/look for placements?

Basically, I have a lot of questions on my mind, and I don't really know where to start - so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

I'm sorry to say this, since it's likely not the answer you're looking for:

But there's one really convenient place to get all your answers: Your school.

You need to contact the head of your program (Might be called Program Lead, Program Head, Department Head, etc etc). Or, if there is a "regular" staff member you are supposed to contact for questions about your program.

No one is going to know the exact answers to your questions unless they also happened to take that exact program and that exact school and also pursued an international placement.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:
Spoiler

I'm sorry to say this, since it's likely not the answer you're looking for:

But there's one really convenient place to get all your answers: Your school.

You need to contact the head of your program (Might be called Program Lead, Program Head, Department Head, etc etc). Or, if there is a "regular" staff member you are supposed to contact for questions about your program.

No one is going to know the exact answers to your questions unless they also happened to take that exact program and that exact school and also pursued an international placement.

I appreciate that. You were honest and gave me an answer. 

You at least have told me about people who I should talk to, and that is of some help. 

Before, I didn't even know that. 

Thanks.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

6 minutes ago, Alexp10v2 said:

I appreciate that. You were honest and gave me an answer. 

You at least have told me about people who I should talk to, and that is of some help. 

Before, I didn't even know that. 

Thanks.

Not a problem. In terms of some general answers to your questions:

1. Some schools allow international placements, though the student themselves generally need to arrange it.

2. Yes, you would need a Student Visa (though this honestly depends on what country and their immigration rules - if we assume US or Canada, yes Visa is required)

3. You can look into international financing options, but I'm gonna assume that this is a big fat no. You likely need to provide your own financing for international placement.

As for which companies? Well, what ones do you want to look at? If you're doing games development, any AAA studio is worth a shot. Indie and mid-range studios are also a good option, though pay might be non-existent or otherwise shitty.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)