Overclocking and Voltages, what is max safe volts?

i have been tinkering around with my system and seeing just how much my already beastly i7 3770k can do. after a good rad cleaning yesterday i decided with my temps back to there normal lows to try for 4.8Ghz because i was fairly confident it would hit it. i was rite. with a +0.060V offset it was perfectly fine running 4.8Ghz. i even got a new high score of 874cb on cinebench R15. my only concern is the voltage it was running to achieve that. at max it was 1.312V -1.336V. i did a run with the offset at only +0.050V and it seemed to work perfectly fine. seeing as it was late i didn't stress test it for longer than 5 mins in Aida64. i have always thought that 1.350V was the max "safe" voltage. but even running that all the time would degrade the life of your CPU. the only thing keeping me from trying 4.9Ghz is the fear of blowing my CPU which is unimaginable. secondary is temps. i notice at 1.336 volts my temps seemed to spike. it could be an error though as my heater kicked in and my door was closed. i will probably be making some sort of follow up post to this so likely further testing will be done.

i want to know once and for all from all of you. what do you consider the absolute safe limit voltage wise? is 1.350V really the limit at which you should stop? also what is the voltage recommendation for ivy bridge specifically?

i look forward to all of your guys feedback and i will try to be active in the comments. please only serious answers.

as always thank you for reading and have a nice day :)

When talking about safe voltages, we can at best give you a rough guideline. However you can determine yourself how far you can push your chip if you follow this guide from overclockers.com forum.

How Overvolting Works, The Dangers of Overvolting, and "Safe" Overvolting Technique | Overclockers Forums

It's a bit extensive but I've found it very useful.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1.375 for ivy bridge would be max for a 24/7 overclock. 

29 minutes ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

thanks for the link Energycore, i will for sure be looking into it. airdeano, is 1.375 your personal preference or factory max?

intel do not set a max voltage other than 1.52v for all there cpus. the motherboard manufacturers set ivy from 1.35-1.4v depending on who you ask. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016