Synology NAS DS716+II (Getting my first)

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's always been my experience too, QNAP gives better hardware specs for the same money so I always go with them over Synology.

Yeah... For instance - like two months ago I talked to a client who wanted a Synology RS816 - I told him to let me talk to guys at QNAP first to see what they can offer instead...

They offered a QNAP TS-451U instead with better specs (CPU is a higher-clocked dual-core Intel Celeron rather than a dual-core Marvell Armada 385 in the RS816), also offers better I/O (5 USB ports instead of 2 and an additional HDMI port). What's funny is that it was actually a bit cheaper...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 hours ago, razorbum said:

Hello all. Just an update of my situation. Here in Singapore, the retail price of 716+II is $659 and 216+II is $489.

But I happened to chance upon a local online store that was having it on sale, for $579 and $409. However, the local store here only honors 2 year warranty for both products, so I ended up getting the 216+II.

Looking forward to starting on my NAS journey!

We just bought 2x DS216+II's for work and so far they're great little machines. Granted, we're not stressing them at all. They're only being used as a long term Archive device.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

That's always been my experience too, QNAP gives better hardware specs for the same money so I always go with them over Synology.

True - but keep in mind, for those that care, Synology tends to give a longer warranty for the same "class" of product (Eg: 3 years vs 2 years for the DS216+II vs comparable QNAP NAS boxes. Most of the QNAP boxes only carry 2 year warranties (though they do offer extended ones up to 5 years total). You have to get the larger enterprise/SOHO units generally, to get the 3 or 5 year warranty from QNAP.

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah... For instance - like two months ago I talked to a client who wanted a Synology RS816 - I told him to let me talk to guys at QNAP first to see what they can offer instead...

They offered a QNAP TS-451U instead with better specs (CPU is a higher-clocked dual-core Intel Celeron rather than a dual-core Marvell Armada 385 in the RS816), also offers better I/O (5 USB ports instead of 2 and an additional HDMI port). What's funny is that it was actually a bit cheaper...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

True - but keep in mind, for those that care, Synology tends to give a longer warranty for the same "class" of product (Eg: 3 years vs 2 years for the DS216+II vs comparable QNAP NAS boxes. Most of the QNAP boxes only carry 2 year warranties (though they do offer extended ones up to 5 years total). You have to get the larger enterprise/SOHO units generally, to get the 3 or 5 year warranty from QNAP.

In my area DS716+II and DS216+II are both 2 years warranty.

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz

1 hour ago, razorbum said:

In my area DS716+II and DS216+II are both 2 years warranty.

That's a shame. We just bought 2 of them and they had 3 year standard warranties, as per the website. This is for North America, mind you.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)