Windows 7 + Ryzen?

ArcticSalad

Has anybody tried running windows 7 on Ryzen? I'm going to be upgrading from my old FX 8350 to a Ryzen 5 once it launches and I intend to do a clean install of windows. However, I've got a physical disc installation of windows 7 and a windows 7 key. Will I be able to install windows 7 on Ryzen? I've heard Microsoft intends to block windows 7 and 8 updates on Ryzen and Kaby Lake CPUs, but I can't find much information on what's going on with that and where it is at. That would mean it isn't safe to use windows 7 nor can I upgrade to windows 10. If I can't do that, can I at least use my windows 7 key to activate windows 10?

Thanks.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

I'm not quite sure if update blocking has been implemented yet but from the sounds of it, it'll be happening fairly soon.

Fortunately you can still use your windows 7 key during or after the installation of Win 10 to activate it.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I don't know if it will work or not, but you cannot use your Windows 7 key to upgrade to Windows 10. That was only a one year offer and now you would have to pay for Windows 10.

Just now, Str_Mape said:

I'm not quite sure if update blocking has been implemented yet but from the sounds of it, it'll be happening fairly soon.

Fortunately you can still use your windows 7 key during or after the installation of Win 10 to activate it.

You can?

Just now, mpsparrow said:

You can?

Yep, I've been doing it at work as recently as last week, all they did was stop pushing the upgrade service.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Thanks! That definitely is a good thing to hear. Windows isn't cheap and I would hate to have to spend another $140 CAD on something I should already have.

I am still curious if I can run windows 7 on a Ryzen system though. I don't really care what the "windows 10 fanboys" have to say about that. I'll have to get windows 10 eventually, but  I would rather keep using windows 7 on my desktop for the time being for a multitude of reasons.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

12 hours ago, Shadow6767 said:

Has anybody tried running windows 7 on Ryzen? I'm going to be upgrading from my old FX 8350 to a Ryzen 5 once it launches and I intend to do a clean install of windows. However, I've got a physical disc installation of windows 7 and a windows 7 key. Will I be able to install windows 7 on Ryzen? I've heard Microsoft intends to block windows 7 and 8 updates on Ryzen and Kaby Lake CPUs, but I can't find much information on what's going on with that and where it is at. That would mean it isn't safe to use windows 7 nor can I upgrade to windows 10. If I can't do that, can I at least use my windows 7 key to activate windows 10?

Thanks.

yes, W7 will work with Ryzen. don't let microsoft scare you into their utopia.

keep looking for information. there's plenty. even Barncules did a vid on it.

1 hour ago, Str_Mape said:

Right now you can still get security updates as long as you don't install March 2017's "quality" roll-up update (KB4012218), which includes the processor detection. 

Seeing as Microsoft started to include previous updates in new patches, this means you'll not be able to install any non-security updates anymore.

Of course there's no way of telling what unpleasant surprises they still have in store.  If they make KB4012218 a prerequisite for future security updates or sneak the processor detection into a security update, you're screwed indeed.